Our Dining Reviews 11/10-11/13 (SciFi, Citricos, Trails End, and more)

hAm53

hi!!!
Cast:
Me and my future bride. Both 25 yrs. She’s a lot more adventurous with food than I am.

Arrival Day 11/10:
Lunch: We had a meeting with our wedding planner at the Wedding Pavilion, so we figured we head over to the Poly for lunch at Captain Cooks and walk over to the WP. I had the chicken sandwich with a fruit salad instead of fries, and the misses has a burger and carrots. My chicken was only about ½ the size of the bun, but I was happy to see that you could sub fries for some fruit. Everything was scarfed down within 5 minutes (we were really hungry from the early AM flight). Cost: $13.51 Food: B+ Service: n/a
Snack: We were given some wedding cake and some soda at Franck’s wile we were with our wedding planner. And even though the cake was vanilla, and we’re having chocolate, we’re fully confident that our cake will be awesome!!! I don’t normally like vanilla cake, but this was really good. Cost $0
Dinner: After watching Wishes from the Narcossee’s dock, we headed over to Citricos as that is where we are hosting our wedding dinner. I think I was just really tired from being up since 4AM, so my review is a little skewed. The Foccaia bread is a lot better than it used to be. On previous trips, I couldn’t eat it, but this time it was a lot fresher. My fiancé started with the house salad which is what we are thinking of starting our guests with. The Cabernet Vinaigrette was more to her liking than the bite that I had of her’s. But it was still a good way to start the meal.
She had the Salmon Filet with roasted fennel, Yukon golf potatoes, and black olive butter. At the advice of our server, she had it cooked a bit longer as he said it comes out a bit fleshy.
I had the filet with olive oil crushed potatoes, and asked for it without the mushrooms in the sweet onion and mushroom sauce. When the filet came out with mushrooms, I just brushed them off, as this was the first mistake ever in my 3 meals there. The filet was really good, and so were the potatoes. However, I wish that they would have served the bean medley that came with the dish in February. Although my meal was really good, I just think it was rather small for the $33 they charged. I know I was paying for the cut of meat as opposed to the size, and like I mentioned earlier, I was really tired from the flight, so I think I was just grumpy. I had a couple beers and my fiancé had two Passionate Coolers, which she said we’d have to have for the wedding. When we mentioned to our waiter that we were thinking of having our wedding dinner there, he asked how many people, and suggested a couple ways of setting the tables up. He also sent over the manager, Arun, who (although appearing extremely busy) gave us his card and told him to drop him an email to arrange things. We’ve met him before, and although we only spoke briefly, he is such a nice guy. Cost: 93.72. Food: A- Service: B+
After Dinner we headed over to the Tambu Lounge, however it was under renovations. . So not Lapu-Lapus this trip. So sad.

Day 2:
Breakfast was in the room, and we munched on a Mickey Ice Cream Bar before lunch at Sci-Fi. Cost was $3.50.
Lunch: This was our first time at Sci-Fi, and it won’t be our last. It has to be one of the best themed restaurants on property. Pictures do not do it justice. Although the tables are a little small, the atmosphere makes up for it. I had a burger and subbed the fries for onion rings. The misses had a steak sandwich. Both hit the spot. And we both loved the onion rings. We were gonna get shakes too, but after seeing they were $9.50 a pop, we decided on ice tea and pink lemonade.
The most interesting part of the meal was when a light busted at the “picnic tables” at the back of the restraint and landed in someone’s meal. Within 5 seconds a server was over there making sure nobody was hurt, and about 20 seconds later somebody else was standing there taking down a bunch of information. I found it reassuring that they take the safety of their guests so seriously.
Cost: $33.18 Food: B Service: B-
Snack: We munched on a couple things at the Food & Wine Festival. I had a Stella Amois Beer ($4.50), and the misses had hummus for a buck, curry veggies ($1.50), and a margarita from the stand in Mexico ($7)
Dinner: What rip to WDW would be complete without a trip to Beaches ‘n Cream. We both had burgers and sodas. I had the chocolate cake with mint chocolate chip ice cream, while the misses split a sundae with her friend from FL that we met up with. We ate at the counter and had a great view of them making a kitchen sink. I’ve seen it before, but watching them make one is truly something that you should do. Cost: About 27 bucks. Food: Always an A. Service: A. Ask for Tim. He’s great. We’ve had him before.

Day 3:
Breakfast: We made an early PS for the Crystal Palace. We’d been there before for lunch but never for breakfast. The chocolate muffin’s there ARE SOOOOO GOOOOODD!!!! Everything was good, the fruit as so fresh, and our server Gustavo was great. The Pooh gang were fun, and I think they were a little glad to be at a table without little kids, as they seemed to hang out with us a bit longer than other tables. Cost: 38.32 Food: A- Service: A
Lunch: We weren’t in the mood for a real lunch so we shared dole whip, water, and an egg roll. Cost: About 7 bucks
Dinner: Off to the best value at WDW . . . . Trail’s End. We there about 5:50 and were seated right away. What can you say? Really yummy food at a really low price. Our server Nancy kept our plates of chicken bones off the table while we up getting more food. We never came back to dirty dishes. If you’ve never been here. Make it a point to go there next time. Cost: $36.19. Food: A+ Service: A

Day 4:
Breakfast: (taken from my post on the budget board) Our last day we stumbled across a great spot at DTD for breakfast. We’ll be headed there on our shopping days from now on. Its called the Candy Shoppe, and its attached to Earl of Sandwich. They were giving away samples of hot chocolate, so I had that. The misses had a cheese Danish and a hot chocolate with whipped cream for a total of $3.73. And the Danish was only a buck twenty five (the same price as our MK tickets) Can’t beat that!!! They had all sorts of muffins, bagels, and other pastries too.
Lunch: We were over at the Poly to take pics of Sunset Pointe, but there was a wedding going on, so we watched that. We grabbed a bite a Kona. The misses ordered the chicken sandwich, which is what I wanted too. I have a thing about ordering the same thing as someone, so I settled for the burger, which was actually very good. A couple of sodas made the bill $25.22. Our server was decent, but nothing spectacular. Food: B+ Service: B-.

Any questions?

My AsMusic Review

My Budget Tips From This Trip

My FLTours, SW, and other Transport Reviews

My Parks Review From This Trip

Enjoyed the reviews!!
Since the manager at Citrico's was busy, can I assume they had a good crowd that nite??

Uncle knower of all fine dining in WDW, :teeth:
i'd say that citricos was the busiest that i've ever seen it, but definately not CG pack them in crowded. i'd say that about 1/2 the tables were filled at any given time. granted our PS's were for 7:50, so we might have already missed the dinner rush.

Enjoyed your reviews.

That is good news about Citricos.::yes:: Maybe the word is getting out after these several years.

Ham53:
Thanks!!

Would be nice if Citrico's HAD a dinner rush!! It isn't a good sign to see Citricos closed two nites a week. And when we spent an hour or so at their little lounge last trip, there were so few diners that the cooks were standing around talking amongst themselves. So 1/2 full is a positive sign.

Uncleromulus still has this one on his "endangered species" list---

"I found it reassuring that they take the safety of their guests so seriously."

Id say more than likely, they were getting a head start on investigating a possible liablity claim

thanks for the reviews

Thanks for the reviews. After many trips over several years we are going to try the Sci Fi for lunch next month. So I was glad to read your positive review.

Uncle,

Don't tell me Citricos is on your watch list??!!?? :( :( :(
It has to stay open until at least Sept 4, 2005. As we're hosting a dinner there after our wedding.

Ron,

I do feel the need to warn you that the "tables" are rather small. Other than that, have a blast.

I have no information directly that Citricos will ever close. But I do know that any restaurant that is glad to be only half-full in a place like WDW may not last.
It was the same sort of thing with Flaglers (there before Citricos).
Never crowded and lasted only a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter