OT..Good Bye Gord Downie, may you rest in peace.

pigletto

DIS Veteran
I don't know if there is any music that evokes the feeling of being Canadian more than the Tragically Hip. It's the sounds of summer parties and youth and cottage country for me. Gord Downie was an exempalry Canadian IMO, as he used his platform to draw our nations attention to the injustices suffered by our First Nations peoples.
He was a brilliant entertainer, an ethical human being, and is woven into the fabric of what it means to be Canadian for me.
He will be missed. :sad1:

Within minutes of the news breaking my Facebook feed was full and everyone in my office was talking about it. All sharing stories of how Gord and the Tragically Hip touched their lives. I can't think of another artist that could evoke that much emotion from that many people. RIP Gord.

Heartbreaking. I can't imagine the pain that his loved ones are experiencing to lose him so incredibly young.

My favourite song is 38 Years Old.( Edit: Man there are so many to love, aren't there? She Didn't Know, Boots Or Hearts and Bobcaygeon are right up there for me.)

However, there is one lyric that I use in my own life to remember days of joy.We never know what lyrics mean to the writer, only how we take them and feel them. It is just the best piece of writing.
In my eyes ---- how those days feel so wonderful, are often full of simplicity and how they can come without any of us even knowing when the day starts. Just as suddenly as painful moments -----

I had my hands in the river
My feet up on the banks
I looked up to the Lord above
And said, "hey man thanks"
Sometimes I feel so good I got to scream
She said Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean

Thank you Gord Downie. Thank you to the entire band.

Last edited:

Thank you.

This part was bang on. You really felt/feel taken away at times ---

“Gord’s command of language was profound. He painted landscapes with his words, elevating Canadian geography, historical figures, and myths. When he spoke, he gave us goosebumps and made us proud to be Canadian. Our identity and culture are richer because of his music, which was always raw and honest – like Gord himself."

For the last hour and half I have been listening to TTH music. Some songs that I haven't heard in years. I've got a really weird sort of ESP thing and for the last month I could feel that this might be very close. Sitting here listening to these songs has taken me back to a few places. Some good times but mostly bad. Nine years ago next month my brother was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. By the time my brother got his diagnosis there was nothing that could be done. We were told that it would be 3-6 months but we only had 7 weeks with him. So todays news hits very close to home and has stirred up all the feelings that I thought I had gotten used to.

Having seen what brain cancer does, I know that Gord is now at rest. God bless him, god bless his family.

Thank you Gord!

For the last hour and half I have been listening to TTH music. Some songs that I haven't heard in years. I've got a really weird sort of ESP thing and for the last month I could feel that this might be very close. Sitting here listening to these songs has taken me back to a few places. Some good times but mostly bad. Nine years ago next month my brother was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. By the time my brother got his diagnosis there was nothing that could be done. We were told that it would be 3-6 months but we only had 7 weeks with him. So todays news hits very close to home and has stirred up all the feelings that I thought I had gotten used to.

Having seen what brain cancer does, I know that Gord is now at rest. God bless him, god bless his family.

Thank you Gord!
((((((((Dancin)))))))
I'm sorry that today is hard for you in so many ways. :hug:

Thanks guys!!!! :lovestruc It's really weird how, when or why things hit you. My DD thinks I'm nuts because I was crying listening to the song Courage. She just can't see how I feel connected to this. Sometimes I miss the ignorance of youth. Either that or she's trying to sort of change the subject.

This was something that was sent to me about a year ago...

It's special to me for a few reasons. I think it's a beautiful tribute.

The news hits very close to home and has stirred up all the feelings that I thought I had gotten used to.

It's really weird how, when or why things hit you.

First, I am so very sorry dancin Disney style. My head went down with seven weeks after diagnosis, for your brother - for your family. I can't even imagine. :hug:

I edited my first post. I have no clue why. Vulnerability. Who knows. I lost my brother and my father in the summer of 2014, both of cancer - three weeks apart. I never thought for one minute I was over it. But I never thought I would be back "here" so empty, so to speak. I looked after my father at home - he had the same terminal brain cancer, glioblastoma multiforme - so that he could have his one wish --- to die in his home. On Tuesday it was his birthday and I made sure I was busy and thought I had done so well. Smiled to my father, grateful for so many things, had thoughts of Gord Downie and John McCain and all those that are facing such a horrendous cancer (All cancer is horrendous, I mean nothing by that sentence.). But then I heard the news that Gord had passed that night. And I can't seem to find a balance all week. It is crazy how you can be right back there. I'm sure there are many reading that can understand in their own lives with mourning.

I have moments of thinking of Tragically Hip and my life. Cassettes, really Up To Here, played so much in university they would be beer stained. :goodvibes And on to the CD.

And then I go to thoughts of Gord's family, children, loved ones and going so young I ache for my brother and my niece, nephew and sister-in-law. Triggers in mourning are something.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say that I completely understand dancin Disney style how it is bringing a lot up and am sorry. And selfishly trying to have some form of relief myself. Trying to make sense of how forceful the hit has been for me. Writing has always been a release for me. I've tried pretty well everything to squash it. I guess through it is the only way.

And I came on to share this story that I just heard ---

Apparently Gord Downie made sure, from the very beginning, that the entire band had writing credits on all songs. When he was the writer. And that is unheard of in the industry.

He was quite the man.

His private funeral is today. They are hoping to put something together for the public when they have the strength to do so.

Usually we get soca

Thank you for making me smile on this thread. :goodvibes What a start to a school day.

Last edited:
First, I am so very sorry dancin Disney style. My head went down with seven weeks after diagnosis, for your brother - for your family. I can't even imagine. :hug:

I edited my first post. I have no clue why. Vulnerability. Who knows. I lost my brother and my father in the summer of 2014, both of cancer - three weeks apart. I never thought for one minute I was over it. But I never thought I would be back "here" so empty, so to speak. I looked after my father at home - he had the same terminal brain cancer, glioblastoma multiforme - so that he could have his one wish --- to die in his home. On Tuesday it was his birthday and I made sure I was busy and thought I had done so well. Smiled to my father, grateful for so many things, had thoughts of Gord Downie and John McCain and all those that are facing such a horrendous cancer (All cancer is horrendous, I mean nothing by that sentence.). But then I heard the news that Gord had passed that night. And I can't seem to find a balance all week. It is crazy how you can be right back there. I'm sure there are many reading that can understand in their own lives with mourning.

I have moments of thinking of Tragically Hip and my life. Cassettes, really Up To Here, played so much in university they would be beer stained. :goodvibes And on to the CD.

And then I go to thoughts of Gord's family, children, loved ones and going so young I ache for my brother and my niece, nephew and sister-in-law. Triggers in mourning are something.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say that I completely understand dancin Disney style how it is bringing a lot up and am sorry. And selfishly trying to have some form of relief myself. Trying to make sense of how forceful the hit has been for me. Writing has always been a release for me. I've tried pretty well everything to squash it. I guess through it is the only way.

And I came on to share this story that I just heard ---

Apparently Gord Downie made sure, from the very beginning, that the entire band had writing credits on all songs. When he was the writer. And that is unheard of in the industry.

He was quite the man.

His private funeral is today. They are hoping to put something together for the public when they have the strength to do so.

Thank you for making me smile on this thread. :goodvibes What a start to a school day.

WOW....you totally get me. I've often felt a tad isolated in going through this. Here I am nearly a decade later and it all still goes through my head. The things I saw, the things I said and did. I wonder if I will ever feel like I did enough?

I can't even imagine losing two people in only a few weeks. My heart goes out to you. You never get over it, you just get used to it. Unfortunately, I've watched a few people go through cancer but I think brain cancer might be the worst. Day by day the basic functions are taken away. My brother was a big tough guy and he was in diapers, lost his ability to communicate in any way and I could see the pain in his eyes of having his little sister feed him. I think you are very lucky to have had the luxury of taking care of your father at home. I work in LTC so I know exactly how difficult that must have been for you (physically and emotionally) but it's extra time that you had with him. You also know that you gave your father the ability to leave this world the way he wanted to. I hope you have no regrets....I have many.

I've been a Hip fan since around 85' and for sure will be watching the documentary tonight.

Funny how many TH stories we are hearing from everyone around here. As a (nearly) local boy, many in Eastern Ontario had their connections. My DW was at Queens in Kingston when they were just starting out. Indeed one of her room mates dated a band member for a short time. She initially disliked them because they were a cover band, and they were at EVERY bar and event in Kingston.

My first impression was less than great as well. The band played Algonquin College when I was attending there. I was studying in the cafeteria when the band came in for a publicity event. I don't exactly recall which band member, but I think it may very well have been Gord, started leaping from table to table, knocking over my coffee in the process. I may have cussed at him. I didn't like them for a time after that as well.

But time wounds all heals, (no that's Disney); time heals all wounds, that's better. We both came to appreciate what a great musician, artist, and poet Gordon was. He was a quintessentially Canadian artist and we are less complete nation without him. He did not "go gentle into that good night" and lived with a vigorous purpose and meaning to the very end. RIP Gordon.

I am still struggling with this as well and feel silly about it. I think it's a mortality and age issue for me. Back when the Hip was always in the background.. the soundtrack to my youth so to speak.. I was blissfully unaware that people die of cancer, that we get old, that some days memory haunts you. I knew that stuff was there.. but it was nothing but conceptual for 20 something me..
It's just an eerie feeling, and I look back now with more years on me and more memories and that soundtrack can still bring back strong memories and I am now completely aware of how fragile life is. It just makes me sad, and grateful and feeling time speeding by.
I don't think I'm ready for the Documentary yet.

And Lisa and Dancin'.. just sending love and strength to you both. I understand it must be hard to feel all the things this is bringing up and it's brave of you to share. While I have some personal stories of cancer, they aren't brain cancer. And it sounds like it is just a vicious beast of a disease. :sad2:

WOW....you totally get me. I've often felt a tad isolated in going through this. Here I am nearly a decade later and it all still goes through my head. The things I saw, the things I said and did. I wonder if I will ever feel like I did enough?

I can't even imagine losing two people in only a few weeks. My heart goes out to you. You never get over it, you just get used to it. Unfortunately, I've watched a few people go through cancer but I think brain cancer might be the worst. Day by day the basic functions are taken away. My brother was a big tough guy and he was in diapers, lost his ability to communicate in any way and I could see the pain in his eyes of having his little sister feed him. I think you are very lucky to have had the luxury of taking care of your father at home. I work in LTC so I know exactly how difficult that must have been for you (physically and emotionally) but it's extra time that you had with him. You also know that you gave your father the ability to leave this world the way he wanted to. I hope you have no regrets....I have many.

I've been a Hip fan since around 85' and for sure will be watching the documentary tonight.

Thank you dancin Disney style. I was very fortunate to have the time with him. Very lucky.

And I think it is completely normal to have regrets when a loved one passes away. Human nature for sure.

I feel much better tonight. But still can't believe how blindsided I felt to have these triggers. Didn't see it coming. Completely understood you.

Funny how many TH stories we are hearing from everyone around here. As a (nearly) local boy, many in Eastern Ontario had their connections. My DW was at Queens in Kingston when they were just starting out. Indeed one of her room mates dated a band member for a short time. She initially disliked them because they were a cover band, and they were at EVERY bar and event in Kingston.

My first impression was less than great as well. The band played Algonquin College when I was attending there. I was studying in the cafeteria when the band came in for a publicity event. I don't exactly recall which band member, but I think it may very well have been Gord, started leaping from table to table, knocking over my coffee in the process. I may have cussed at him. I didn't like them for a time after that as well.

But time wounds all heals, (no that's Disney); time heals all wounds, that's better. We both came to appreciate what a great musician, artist, and poet Gordon was. He was a quintessentially Canadian artist and we are less complete nation without him. He did not "go gentle into that good night" and lived with a vigorous purpose and meaning to the very end. RIP Gordon.

I loved this post bankr63. It made me laugh.

I am still struggling with this as well and feel silly about it. I think it's a mortality and age issue for me. Back when the Hip was always in the background.. the soundtrack to my youth so to speak.. I was blissfully unaware that people die of cancer, that we get old, that some days memory haunts you. I knew that stuff was there.. but it was nothing but conceptual for 20 something me..
It's just an eerie feeling, and I look back now with more years on me and more memories and that soundtrack can still bring back strong memories and I am now completely aware of how fragile life is. It just makes me sad, and grateful and feeling time speeding by.
I don't think I'm ready for the Documentary yet.

And Lisa and Dancin'.. just sending love and strength to you both. I understand it must be hard to feel all the things this is bringing up and it's brave of you to share. While I have some personal stories of cancer, they aren't brain cancer. And it sounds like it is just a vicious beast of a disease. :sad2:

Thank you for your lovely thoughts.

Nothing silly about having something affect you. I think the music takes many of us back in time. Time does go quickly.

And I realized something trivial and completely off topic thinking back this week - I MISS ALBUMS.:drinking1 We just played some over and over in that university apartment. Sinead's Lion and the Cobra and I Do Not Have What I Haven't Got, Aerosmith's Pump, The Cure's Disintegration, The Smiths, Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits and Tragically Hip's Up To Here. Some just were mainstays. And mixed tapes. Oh the joy of mixed tapes. :love:Such great years.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter