OT - Daughter is at camp in Colorado

4daubers

Mouseketeer
:hug: My 16 (17 in August)year old daughter left for Colorado last night for a week long Young Life camp. She's never been more than an hour away and was always the homesick one that wouldn't spend the night away until about a year ago and never more that a night or two. She attended 6 week ballet summer intensives for 5 years but wouldn't stay in the dorm...I took the RV and we lived in it for the session.

It was very hard for me not to wail and beg her not to go as she was boarding the bus. She was so excited, so happy and I know that she is with a great group but it took everything I had not to make a fool of myself. But I didn't, I waved her off and then cried in the car. She texted me several times...role reversal here...I know she was texting to reassure me she was ok.

In my "self-Talk", I know that I'm getting to the stage of parenting where you let them go experience life some on their own. She will be in college soon and I won't be there every step of the way. You know the drill. I was slow getting there. My husband and I had infertility problems. We were married 15 years before we had our twins by invitro fertilization, which was on our 3rd and last attempt. It took a long time to realize that everything was going to be ok with our kids...that we couldn't assume it wouldn't be successful because it hadn't been before...that we could act like normal parents (well as normal as we can be). Every sniffle wasn't a dreadful disease, there wasn't a pedofile lurking behind every bush, there wasn't a car accident waiting for us every time we were on the road. Looking back and as a nurse, I recognize that there is medication that might have helped. ;) We admit to being over-protective and anxious but have found that as they grow up and are confident, we can be as well.

Thanks for letting me babble, camping friends. I know y'all understand the importance of family and that each new milestone can be a big one...even if it seems silly to read.:lovestruc

I think ALL of us who are parents to upperteens know exactly how you feel, Sherri!!! We can go from wanting to wring their necks to wishing we could kiss their boo-boos in under a second....emotions and sentiments suck, dont they!!!;)

Sherri, I am so sorry.I know how you feel. My oldest is now 15 and taking off everywhere with hardly a glance back. The time goes so fast. My children were also a blessing and I have been extremely protective because of this. They just grow too fast but thank God we got to finally have them. I thank God that they are all Disney and Fort addicts!
Your week will go by fast. Just think Disney thoughts!

Thanks all. DD called when they arrived and is still very excited. I'm drowning my fretfulness in disney magic which will cure what ails!

I feel silly though...I didn't know we had a camping community board. Another treasure found.

You can take comfort in the fact that when she gets home she will probably do something that will totally TICK YOU OFF. :sad2: Hold on to that thought. It will get you through these times when you need a whole box of "mommy tissues" (..with Aloe please..with aloe.):sad:

You can take comfort in the fact that when she gets home she will probably do something that will totally TICK YOU OFF. :sad2: Hold on to that thought. It will get you through these times when you need a whole box of "mommy tissues" (..with Aloe please..with aloe.):sad:

:lmao: I can always count on you to make me laugh !!

Sherri- I know how you feel. Hang in there. :hug:

:
Sherri- I know how you feel. Hang in there. :hug:

Thanks. :hug: We haven't heard from her...they take up the cell phones. She can call collect but hasn't done so yet. While I'm waiting by the phone, she's having the time of her life. Her twin brother is a little lost...no sister to boss or yell at him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter