Opinions please... DS (4.5yo) is ADHD and PDD-NOS... SN Pass? yes or no.

figmentfan1

According to Caleb: "No Dancing!"
I am not the type that likes to take advantage, so I am leaning toward no.

Our DS is ADHD and PDD-NOS (not autism, not aspergers)... he mainly has some social and speech/language issues. He is in regular pre-k at the primary school, mainstreamed and will always be. He is in speech therapy and will start some OT and possibly AT in the near future.

Do we need this pass? I took DS last May (04) with my parents and sister's family and he did fairly well, although he was not dx'ed yet and was not on ADHD meds. I don't vividly remember any major meltdowns... just that he wanted me to carry him... he is mostly over that now and when he wants carried DH puts him on his shoulders (we also have a sit n stand stroller so he can ride).

We are using TGM and anticipating short waits with his advice and will be there at a lower crowd time (Nov. 12-19). We will also have 3 adults (me, DH, and my best friend) in our party to our 2 kids (DS 4.75 and DD just turned 2).

Experience? Opinions?

TIA

JoEllen

Hi Joellen;
I am interested in knowing more about the SN pass. I am an OT and recently contacted Disney on behalf of one of my students. I was told that Disney does not issue passes very liberaly and each request was taken case by case. Their correspondence led me to believe that there was nothing my students family could do to help him along during their visit to the parks. Please let me know of your experience so that I can advise my students families.
Thanks
Sharon

Welcome to disABILITIES.

First of all (if it helps to think about it in a little different light), it isn't really a pass (which sort of implies special treatment). It's a Guest Assistance Card (we call it a GAC for short). It's really a tool to let the CMs know what sort of assistance a person with disabilities need.

You are going at a time that should not be busy and have some experience at WDW, so he/you know a bit about what to expect. You may find that you don't need a GAC at all. But, if you get one, just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it. Also, you don't necessarily need to get one the first day - you could go at any time during your trip, explain to the CM at Guest Services what issues your DS is having and get one then.

So, you could get one and treat it sort of like insurance - there if you need it.
Or, you could wait and get one if it seems like you need it.

The last post in the disABILITIES FAQs thread has an explanation of the GAC that might be helpful if you haven't read it.

Shoreshar said:
Hi Joellen;
I am interested in knowing more about the SN pass. I am an OT and recently contacted Disney on behalf of one of my students. I was told that Disney does not issue passes very liberaly and each request was taken case by case. Their correspondence led me to believe that there was nothing my students family could do to help him along during their visit to the parks. Please let me know of your experience so that I can advise my students families.
Thanks
Sharon
Hi, Sharon.
I was typing as you were posting so I didn't see your question until now. Check out the GAC information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. That should answer most of your questions. If you still have questions after reading, just post them here and we'll answer.

We always get the GAP and only use it when we need to. It is easier to get it at the beginnng and not have to worry about going back to GS durning the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter