Open wound on foot

efoote01

Mouseketeer
we have been planning our trip to Disney this August for a year. I have been dealing with an open wound on the top of my foot for well over a month.

My question is should I cancel or just get a wheelchair? I go to work @ a desk job & try to limit my walking throughout the day.

Would this be an absolutely impossible trip? I hate to cancel but I don't want to be unrealistic.

Thanks

we have been planning our trip to Disney this August for a year. I have been dealing with an open wound on the top of my foot for well over a month.

My question is should I cancel or just get a wheelchair? I go to work @ a desk job & try to limit my walking throughout the day.

Would this be an absolutely impossible trip? I hate to cancel but I don't want to be unrealistic.

Thanks

Rent a mobility scooter from an offsite company. Then you don't wear yourself or someone else out. My mom has to get one for back.

I think you should go and rent an ECV form some one of site the PP said,

also have you seen a dr.

Assuming you've had the wound checked by a medical professional, and that person feels there is no reason not to travel, I would rent an ECV from off-site since apparently walking is painful. Bring extra bandages, plan to change it regularly, and some Tylenol or whatever you use for pain. I see no particular reason to cancel, but again would defer to your medical professional.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks everyone yes I have seen a doctor he can't let me know when I will be better everyone is different. Ecv maybe be theway to go. I am pretty sure today is my last day to cancel 30 days, right?

Wondering if I should opt for a Disney cruise instead it should be less walking I hope

If you rent an ECV then you can do little walking. On a cruse unless you get an accessible room you may have more walking

If you booked a WDW package, the PIF is at 30 days prior to arrival and cancellation penalties (deposit $200?) will come into play after that point. If you booked a room-only and separate tickets, you have until 7 days prior to arrival to cancel without penalty.

A cruise... could be more or less walking, depending on how active you wish to be. Just staying onboard, most likely less walking especially if you plan your day out so you aren't repeatedly back-tracking to your stateroom. But if you would like to visit the ports of call, it could be as much walking as WDW. And not all ports of call are particularly wheelchair or ECV friendly. I don't think an accessible stateroom will have considerable impact on the amount of walking, though if you plan to take a mobility device you'll want to be sure it will fit into a standard stateroom (on DCL, most wheelchairs and ECVs do not fit through the doorway of a standard stateroom).

Is the wound in such a place that you could wear some kind of open shoe that doesn't rub? Would that help? I still think WDW is do-able, but if you had particular expectations of being active on this visit it may not be what you want.

Enjoy your vacation -- wherever and whenever!

I think its doable and might actually be enjoyable with an ECV (rent from offsite). I guess my concerns would be keeping it free of germs and even with an ecv you are going to be way more active than sitting at a desk all day for work just getting on and off rides, so you need shoes that won't make it worse. Also you are 30 days out. There is a good chance it actually heals by then I would assume. I think a cruise with an open wound would be miserable. No pools, no sand beaches, very bad accessibility for mobility devices in most ports and on most excursions. Yuck.

Thanks

On my last trip I ended up with a blister. A huge blister that I could not walk on. I had a tour scheduled for the last day. I rented a ECV. Best thing I ever did. I would have been miserable that last day and instead I got to enjoy the whole day and gave my foot a rest. (it was on the ball of my foot and there was no way to walk without pressure) I would do it again.

OP, also remember - stay out of the pools and water parks with an open wound - you don't want to run the risk of adding infection to your injury.

Let us know if you need any info on mobility devices! :)

I would love info on renting an ECV & are they hard to maneuver? I am worried I will have many accidents.

I have been on the Buena vista website but really have no idea how to go about this

I would love info on renting an ECV & are they hard to maneuver? I am worried I will have many accidents.

I have been on the Buena vista website but really have no idea how to go about this
you have to pay action when driving them people will not see you ( some people like my self truely will not see you other it is because they are looking else where) but please do not let this scare you.

a few tips my friend dose ( I can not use an ECV in the parks due to my disability)

when she rented off site she would take a few minutes ( like 5 minutes) to drive it around the hotel, to see how it breaks ( you let go of the thradle) starts turns. She said that most ECV are a little different so she wanted to see how the one she had works ( she also did a few turns and would see how tight she could turn I am guessing to see the turn radius)

when in the park have the ECV turn to Tuttle yes you will go slow but until you get used to it this will be best and once you feel good you can turn the speed up. and then back down.

one of the hardest times for my friend when she first started when RD and after fire works we would hang back just a little so when were not in the huge crowd but if you do find your self in the middle of a lot of people go at there paces and not try to go faster or get around every one. ( I was at the park one time when every one was leaving MK at the end of the fire works and some lady decided that she could not wait was laying on her horn and yelling move out of my way I need to get to the bus, witch just had other guest yelling at her,)

the busses might be the hardest thing but they are very doable

tip one go as slow as you feel you need.

when driving around the hotel practice parralar parking this is what your will do on the bus

the drives fro the most part will not drive your ECV but will say things like move up a little more turn to you right some, things like this. listen to them they do this all day long

bring something so that you can find your ECV in the sea of ECV like a scarf to tie on the handles a shirt to put over the back rest.

also bring something to cover the ECV if/when it rains, the tiller the part that you drive it with can not get wait and also the battier so no going thought puddles that can get the bottom wet.

I hope I did not scare you the learning curve for driving an ECV is step and once you get the hang of it ( after an hour really) you will be fine

they are not terribly difficult but can be mentally tiring. You can have the representative meet you (not simply drop off the ecv) and go over the basics - speed, turning, direction.

You can practice with one at a local grocery store or big box store -- most have them. Those models are much more cumbersome than the rentals you'd use at WDW. But it would give you an idea.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for the advice I think I will try in Costco tonight!

Honey...hmm like a mask for 20 minutes?

Due to circulatory issues, I deal with chronic open wounds on my feet and legs, and I can assure you, an ECV will make your WDW trip much happier and more manageable! As others have suggested, practice with the ones available at the supermarket or the local big box store to get an idea how to start, stop, and steer, rent one from offsite at WDW so you can have it with you all the time, and practice with it a little so you know its quirks before you get to the parks. You will save yourself a lot of pain, and be so glad you did! :love:

As far as the honey goes, you want to look for Manuka honey or wound honey. Apply a thin layer of it over your wound and cover with a dry sterile dressing. Change it with whatever frequency you normally change your dressing, making sure to clean each time with soap & water or whatever cleanser you normally use. It really does speed things up. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!