One time use point’s question

BeachMouse1

DIS Veteran
So I have a trip booked and want to add a day or two BUT don’t want to borrow points from next year. The issue is I have to wait list the days. So my question is can you waitlist something you want to reserve with one time use points? Can i book borrowing points from next year and if the wait list come thru call member services and purchase one time use points and then return my borrowed points?
How many one time use points can you buy for one stay?
Thanks all

Points once borrowed cannot be returned to their original use year. Moreover, you can purchase one time use points only when using them to actually make a reservation. You can purchase up to 24 one time use points per use year.

Last edited:
The only way to have OTU points there for a waitlist is to by booking a fake reservation for the njght and buying points for jt.

Then cancel the night. It would leave the points there for a waitlist to fill. The drawback is that if it doesn’t, you bought them.

Now, if you booked any of your nights 7 months or less, you can swap those into the trip, and free up your own to be used..this way, you can still bank if it doesn’t fill.

The key is that the fake night is in the same UY as your trip, and it’s at least 31 days or more out so you can cancel without worrying about holding.

The only way to have OTU points there for a waitlist is to by booking a fake reservation for the njght and buying points for jt.

Then cancel the night. It would leave the points there for a waitlist to fill. The drawback is that if it doesn’t, you bought them.

Now, if you booked any of your nights 7 months or less, you can swap those into the trip, and free up your own to be used..this way, you can still bank if it doesn’t fill.

The key is that the fake night is in the same UY as your trip, and it’s at least 31 days or more out so you can cancel without worrying about holding.
Reading between the lines, it sounds like you CANNOT bank OTU points if your trip falls through. Can you transfer them? I guess the only other option would be to try to rent them?

Can you choose to buy OTU points if you have points available to borrow from the following use year?

I was under the hopefully mistaken impression that OTUP were only available if you had none left to borrow and needed them to complete a reservation.

Can you choose to buy OTU points if you have points available to borrow from the following use year?

I was under the hopefully mistaken impression that OTUP were only available if you had none left to borrow and needed them to complete a reservation.
You can buy OTUP regardless of how many points you have available from your contracts.

How do you do this? Is there a tab somewhere I’m missing on the website? I wound up renting a single night from someone else because I couldn’t figure out where to go in my account to add. 🫣

You can only buy them by calling MS when booking an actual reservation.

One time use points might be a good way to buy resale at a restricted resort and not worry about losing points.

I'm looking to go next fall (in OCT), so I'm slowly crawling towards my 11 month window. I have a SEPT Use Year, and so I cannot use any OTUs applicable to that trip until 1 September of next year (which means they wouldn't be available to me until 1 February 2024).

Can I make my reservation at the 11 month window (NOV 2023), and then modify that at the 7 month (FEB 2024) window to use OTUs (add a night or switch to a better view, whatever uses the points)? It'd be perfect if I could make the rez with points I have, and then at the 7 month point, use OTU to save some 2023 points for later use in 2024/2025. I feel like that isn't allowed, though. But I suspect I could add a day with them or improve my view (assuming that the better view room is available at 7 months).

Thank you for any insight!

I'm looking to go next fall (in OCT), so I'm slowly crawling towards my 11 month window. I have a SEPT Use Year, and so I cannot use any OTUs applicable to that trip until 1 September of next year (which means they wouldn't be available to me until 1 February 2024).

Can I make my reservation at the 11 month window (NOV 2023), and then modify that at the 7 month (FEB 2024) window to use OTUs (add a night or switch to a better view, whatever uses the points)? It'd be perfect if I could make the rez with points I have, and then at the 7 month point, use OTU to save some 2023 points for later use in 2024/2025. I feel like that isn't allowed, though. But I suspect I could add a day with them or improve my view (assuming that the better view room is available at 7 months).

Thank you for any insight!
I’m also curious about this. I would think adding a day or upgrading room (assuming they are available at 7mo) would both be acceptable? I’d like to know if you have 6 days booked with your points, if you can add that final day with OTUP 6 days before the 7 day window (so the points get used the final day at exactly 7m out).

Per member services 2 months ago when I bought OTU points, you can only buy OTU points if the points from your current year contract are all used/booked/going to be used with the reservation you are trying to make and they will only ‘sell’ you the points needed to complete the reservation. The first day of the reservation you need the points to complete must be at or after the 7 month mark.

. The first day of the reservation you need the points to complete must be at or after the 7 month mark.
That last part is pretty stingy. I understand why the dates can be used before the 7 month mark, but seems like you should be able to use points to complete once the 7mo period has passed.

That last part is pretty stingy. I understand why the dates can be used before the 7 month mark, but seems like you should be able to use points to complete once the 7mo period has passed.

Since they are not your own points and can’t be used during home resort, it does make sense that the actual date must be 7 months.

I believe what happens is that the day gets booked and then they have to merge with what you currently have if adding a day in the same room.

If the first day of your trip is avaialbe, you can use them for that and just push the other days forward.

Can I purchase OTUY points on two separate occasions for same use year as long as total is less than 24?

Example If I purchased 2 points to complete a reservation for January. Could I purchase another 10 points today to complete a reservation for July? Or is it limited to only one transaction?

Can I purchase OTUY points on two separate occasions for same use year as long as total is less than 24?

Example If I purchased 2 points to complete a reservation for January. Could I purchase another 10 points today to complete a reservation for July? Or is it limited to only one transaction?
You may purchase in multiple transactions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter