"Old Dogs" slammed by critics

Golf4food

Male pirate last time I checked. Yep. Still male.
Another "winner" for Disney movie goers:

From the Yahoo article:

Based on its critical reception, Disney's "Old Dogs" looks destined to play dead at theaters. The film has garnered atrocious reviews. The Chicago Tribune granted the film zero stars and explained that the movie is "a great opportunity to gather family members you clearly think are stupid."

Online critic James Berardinelli granted the movie half a star out of four and wrote that "there are some experiences no one should be subjected to even in the name of science." And the carnage didn't stop. Entertainment Weekly gave the film an "F" and lamented the disappearance of Robin Williams' dignity. Moviegoers -- you have been warned.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/hmg-weekend-roundup-11-25-09.html

I saw this movie and I thought it was hilarious. You can't listen to everything those reviewers say. Of course it was the predictable story line that goes with a family comedy, but there were parts where we laughed for about 5 mins straight. I laughed so hard during that movie that my stomach was sore afterwards. I thought it was a great movie and will definitely be buying the dvd to watch it over and over anytime I need a laugh. I guess if others don't agree, then I must be easy to please.

I saw this movie and I thought it was hilarious. You can't listen to everything those reviewers say. Of course it was the predictable story line that goes with a family comedy, but there were parts where we laughed for about 5 mins straight. I laughed so hard during that movie that my stomach was sore afterwards. I thought it was a great movie and will definitely be buying the dvd to watch it over and over anytime I need a laugh. I guess if others don't agree, then I must be easy to please.

You probably found the movie Strange Brew funny also?

Well so did I.

Yeah, there's a thread on the CB about how funny it is.

Critics. Heh.

I'm sure we'll rent it when it hits Netflix, if for no other reason than it has penguins in it. :)

We are with you 100%. My entire family thought it was hilarious. Too bad critics will have people stay away. It was a great cast of characters.

Ignore the critics. It's their opinion. You have to see it so you can form your own opinion.

I don't pay any attention to critics, since "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf" won all kinds of awards. My husband had told me that people at his job said the movie was terrible, but I talked him into it. I kept telling him the good parts should be coming soon. I waited, and waited, and waited, until "The End" came up on the screen. :lmao:

Forget critics - I decide for myself. ;)

iuki
:surfweb:

I definitely take critics reviews into consideration........so I can do exactly the opposite of what they say.

I think Leonard Maltin was the only critic that I agreed with much of the time

We saw it this weekend and loved it and my kids are usually tough crittics. they thought it was so funny, and so did I! Goes to show that everyone has different tastes.:goodvibes

I have absolutely no interest in seeing this. It looks like the typical junk that comes out of Hollywood these days IMO.

That being said it does have a 75% positive reviews by the community on Rotten Tomatoes.
So I would assume most people would enjoy it and word of mouth may save it.
It just does not look like the type of Movie I would enjoy.

In contrast it only has 6% positive reviews by 76 "professional" reviewers.
I do not think that people really listen to the "professionals" anymore.
It was still in the top 5 and was going against two huge moves (Twilight and Blind Side).

Critics are unable to realize that some moviegoers just want to see a fun movie. I remember critics slammed Wild Hogs, but it made a ton of money. It was fun and is now one of my favorite movies.

I had been looking forward to this movie for so many months and so longingly! Robin Williams is such a legend and so beloved in my home (for myself and my sister). We also like John Travolta a lot. We were used to Robin's work in classics like Mrs. Doubtfire, or the Birdcage, and other fun movies like Jack, etc., but were disappointed by Old Dogs. It definitely DID have parts where we laughed a lot, and Seth Green was funny (and really :lovestruc), but we felt it was too choppy, not long enough, and it just felt quite random. We didn't feel like we were watching the story: beginning, middle, end, with plenty of details and events. I'm glad I saw it, but I hope from now on that Robin can regain his "Old" (ha ;)) momentum.

I had been looking forward to this movie for so many months and so longingly! Robin Williams is such a legend and so beloved in my home (for myself and my sister). We also like John Travolta a lot. We were used to Robin's work in classics like Mrs. Doubtfire, or the Birdcage, and other fun movies like Jack, etc., but were disappointed by Old Dogs. It definitely DID have parts where we laughed a lot, and Seth Green was funny (and really :lovestruc), but we felt it was too choppy, not long enough, and it just felt quite random. We didn't feel like we were watching the story: beginning, middle, end, with plenty of details and events. I'm glad I saw it, but I hope from now on that Robin can regain his "Old" (ha ;)) momentum.

In spite of all other comments on the DIS to the contrary you evidently aren't alone based on the rating at Rotten Tomatoes: 16% :eek::sick:

But then again it gets a User rating of "B" at Yahoo Movies.

Think we'll still wait for Netflix just in case. :thumbsup2

Saw this movie on the weekend and loved it. Not very often where we get to laugh out loud at the movies these days.

Saw this movie on the weekend and loved it. Not very often where we get to laugh out loud at the movies these days.
Deb

Yes, rare indeed. This one had a lot of genuine belly laughs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter