OKW without a car?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Although we've stayed at OKW many times, and always loved it, we've never stayed there without a car. However, on an upcoming trip, bringing the grandchildren for the first time, we're not having a car (we don't want to bring the car seats mainly). So tell me how OKW is if you don't have a rental car. I'm mostly concerned about getting all the luggage to our room. Come to think of it, we'll be using DME, so we probably won't have much problem at check-in. But what about getting all our luggage to the DME desk on check-out day? Any other tips/problems we should know about?

Although we've stayed at OKW many times, and always loved it, we've never stayed there without a car. However, on an upcoming trip, bringing the grandchildren for the first time, we're not having a car (we don't want to bring the car seats mainly). So tell me how OKW is if you don't have a rental car. I'm mostly concerned about getting all the luggage to our room. Come to think of it, we'll be using DME, so we probably won't have much problem at check-in. But what about getting all our luggage to the DME desk on check-out day? Any other tips/problems we should know about?

Just call bell services to come get your luggage? We stayed at OKW and had zero problems not having a car, but we never have a car at WDW so YMMV.

If you have an early flight, let bell services know the night before. Luggage check in opens at 5 am, closes at 1 pm.
You will need to be at the luggage check-in, in person with flight info and IDs.

We always have a car but I don't think I'd do OKW without one. If you do, I'd definitely want HH booking category. However, if luggage is your main issue, it shouldn't be a major problem and others have given you info on that.

we've never done okw without a car technically but we've stayed there without using the car. If you're used to monorail resort transportation you may feel bothered but if you're used to okw transportation (which is what it sounds like) then it shouldn't be a problem. I will say that the stroller/bus thing was more of an issue then we had anticipated on our son's first trip. not a HUGE deal breaker though.

Although we've stayed at OKW many times, and always loved it, we've never stayed there without a car. However, on an upcoming trip, bringing the grandchildren for the first time, we're not having a car (we don't want to bring the car seats mainly).

Congratulations!!! bringing the grandkids for the first time!!! have a blast!
it is so much fun to bring someone to WDW who has never been there before.

are there parents coming too - or just the kids.

it should be a great trip! How old are the children?

Because it is hard for me to do steps, I have always asked for first floor or elevator building. With strollers you may want the same.

Congratulations!!! bringing the grandkids for the first time!!! have a blast!
it is so much fun to bring someone to WDW who has never been there before.

are there parents coming too - or just the kids.

it should be a great trip! How old are the children?

The parents are coming along too, but we're flying out of the same airport with them so we can help right from the start. They'll be 2, and the other celebrating her 4th birthday while we're at WDW. This morning we're watching Beaty and the Beast to get ready, although the kids don't really know-at their ages, they don't really have a concept of time so they'd probably be asking every day "Are we going to Disney today?".

Because it is hard for me to do steps, I have always asked for first floor or elevator building. With strollers you may want the same.

That's what I thought too, but DS already said he'd prefer upper floor. He's afraid that on the first floor, the kids would find a way to get out and run around.

Me and DS did OKW without a car for our trip last October. Bell Services took us and our luggage to our door. We used the bus transportation to all the parks. However, when we went to leave, I called Bell Services and it was going to be a long wait for them to come pick us up. We ended up just taking a bus with our luggage and dropping off our bags at Bell Services while we went to a park.

I made sure to put on our reservation that we needed to be close to transportation and requested a ground level room. Both were granted.

Hope you have a magical time with your grandchildren!

I would rethink the not bringing car seats. We have been traveling with granddaughter for several years and have gone from full car seat to booster seat. Have always found that bringing the car seat and being on our own schedule for coming and going far out weighs the carrying a sleeping child on buses and dealing with strollers when bus can get crowded. We have always left the car seat with the stroller at the plane door and that is where it is returned to us.

Me and DS did OKW without a car for our trip last October. Bell Services took us and our luggage to our door. We used the bus transportation to all the parks. However, when we went to leave, I called Bell Services and it was going to be a long wait for them to come pick us up. We ended up just taking a bus with our luggage and dropping off our bags at Bell Services while we went to a park.

That's interesting to know about the bus. When I was at WDW several years ago changing resorts, I was told that I was not allowed to bring luggage on the Disney buses. Must be a change! Thanks.

Just schedule your baggage pickup time with Bell Services the day/night before you leave. That way, even if they are very busy, you will already be on the list. I always do this. One less worry on check out day!

We just came back from staying at OKW for 8 days without a car. We stayed in the turtle pond rd. area. When we needed to go to HH we jumped on any bus that came since the last stop was always at HH. When going back to the room we walked over to the first bus stop across from HH and took that back to turtle pond rd. Wasn't to bad IMO.

You are not allowed to bring luggage on board the bus. We were there last November and the bus driver told the family they have to call Bell Services. In 2012 someone arguing with the bus driver about the inconvenience of calling Bell Services. It depends on who you get. Only one time we ever saw a family with luggage on board. It was inconventient when the bus got full (Plus luggage on two seats). People were giving them a dirty look (the family noticed and looked away) but the last stop was not HH. The bus proceeded to exit the resort. The family squeezed up front to argue with the bus driver. We are assuming some family member must have snuck up threw the backdoor because if the bus driver knew the luggage was on board he would or should have told them the last stop was not HH. So the joke was on them.

If it were me, I would request a room near the Hospitality House. That's what we do when we don't have a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter