OKW Next week and need....

douglas4315

Earning My Ears
HELP!!

I am going to apologize now if I ask too many questions here. We are DVC members and staying at OKW for the first time next week. We are taking another couple with us and they have a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old. This is their first time for Disney and they will only be doing MK for 2 days and a water park. Here are the questions:

1) The husband is not a big Disney fan because of lines, should we have them rent a car so he doesn't get discouraged by the buses?

2) Does anyone have restaurant recommendations for 2 couples going with 3 kids under 3?

3) Is there anything else we should do since we have 3 small children with us?

4) Any tricks out there on how to avoid bus lines, restaurant lines, etc.?

5) How is ME on 4th of July week? We are flying in on Sunday the 1st

What else should we be thinking of?????

Unfortunately, avoiding lines the week of July 4th is going to be nearly impossible. I think that mind set is going to play a big part in whether your group has a good time.

1) I would not suggest renting the car, if you are mainly doing it to avoid the MK bus. Since you will have to park in the huge lot at the transportation center, it may end up being a lot more hassle than just riding the bus. At least the bus lets you off right near the gates.

2) If you haven't made advance reservations for dinner, you may have a tough time eating at any of the sit down restaurants. You could try calling right away and see if there are any openings at places like Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree, etc. There will be a lot of different answers as to favorite places to eat.

3) Don't push it. Even though you are only in the parks for a couple of days, take a break in the afternoon to let the kids swim and/or nap. In the end, everyone will be glad of the break.

4) It may help a bit to eat at unusual times. I would also try to get to MK before they open to try to avoid some of the lines. This park is the worst when it comes to lines. Maybe do a few rides during the parade.

5) My prediction...:scared1:

HELP!!

I am going to apologize now if I ask too many questions here. We are DVC members and staying at OKW for the first time next week. We are taking another couple with us and they have a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old. This is their first time for Disney and they will only be doing MK for 2 days and a water park. Here are the questions:

1) The husband is not a big Disney fan because of lines, should we have them rent a car so he doesn't get discouraged by the buses?
I suggest using the buses anyway, there are seats at all the bus stops at OKW, and hopefully you won't have to wait too long. the parking lots are huge, and the walk from the car to the tram stop maybe longer than the lines for the buses.

2) Does anyone have restaurant recommendations for 2 couples going with 3 kids under 3?
Are you new to DVC? I would think that is the case, as you should have made reservations at 180 days out for any of the restaurants you wanted to eat at. Try calling now, ask for 15 minute intervals if they say the time you request is unavailable. Try Chef Mickeys, Liberty Tree Tavern, the Plaza, Tony's Town Square.

3) Is there anything else we should do since we have 3 small children with us?
Are you bringing strollers or are you intending on renting them? The walks from the hotel to the bus stops and the parking lots to the parks is pretty long. It's a hassle tofold up the strollers all the time, but with such young ones the walks may be too much for them and you to handle.

4) Any tricks out there on how to avoid bus lines, restaurant lines, etc.?
Try going at odd times, but you are going during a busy time, so my advice would be to get on the phone with disney dining and try making reservations for the restaurants.

5) How is ME on 4th of July week? We are flying in on Sunday the 1st
Not sure, hope someone else can help you out, we never go to WDW during peak season.

What else should we be thinking of?????
Sunscreen, pool toys, when is nap time for the kids, food items to have in the room and when and where are you getting them, ADVANCE RESERVATIONS.

Hope all works out for you and you have a magical vacation!

The little ones will probably like Fantasyland rides best. My best tip for Fantasyland is make a first seating ADR (if there are any available) for Crystal Palace for breakfast, then be the first in line at Fantasyland. You will beat the crowds/lines for those rides. If you are able to get first seating and make it to Fantasyland before the lines, go back again around 1 or 2 just to feel good about missing the experience of Fantasyland at that time of day! :) I really love OKW with kids if you have a car. You can park right in front of your room, which is great when the kids have fallen asleep on the way back to the room. It's a short trip to bed from the car! But even without a car, we have always been luck enough to have rooms very close to bus stops. We are going next month and were having a tough time deciding between OKW and BCV. We went with OKW mostly because of the parking right in front of our room and not having miles to walk at the end of a long day.

Lori

First, I don't think it matters where you're staying - you are going during a peak week - and you need to go with that mind set. It's going to be busy. There is no avoiding that. There will be lines and you just need to go with that in mind. I'm not trying to make you miserable before you go - but it's also summer - so it will be hot. Apply your sunscreen, drink lots of water & take breaks in the afternoon for naps & pool time! You'll be fine if you pack your patience!:thumbsup2

I agree with another poster that suggested skipping the afternoon parades to catch shorter lines for some of the rides.... I would prefer to plop down for the night time parade without the sun beating down on me...

HELP!!

I am going to apologize now if I ask too many questions here. We are DVC members and staying at OKW for the first time next week.

I should have mentioned before that most everyone here loves answering questions and discussing WDW and DVC, or we wouldn't be here. So ask away!

My DH does not have patience for lines, particularly in the July heat of Florida. My DSD does not handle intense heat well. I planned the trip using the website, itineraries and tips from one of the Disboard sponsors, and we were able to avoid the worst of the lines and the worst of the heat.

My DH was very happy with the way the trip turned out (and he is not always easily impressed :rotfl2: ). With only one exception (which was an off the cuff thing we did that DSD asked to do), we never waited more than 10 minutes for any ride. We never had to fight the masses, and we didn't overdo it in the heat. We had lots of downtime and had great meals.

We were not at WDW during July 4th, but the middle of July, so that may have some bearing. But, I will tell you that our experience was totally different than that of my DH's friends who went at a similar time. DH's friend did nothing but fight crowds and stand in lines with his DS. As a result, to this day, DH's friend does not like WDW.

My DH will not admit that he likes WDW, but when Expedition Everest happened to come up in conversation :rolleyes1 , he said "hey, we should do that the next time we're there since we've never been on it!" I told him he had come up with a marvelous idea :lmao:

Anyhoo, let me know if you would like the name of the Disboard sponsor referred to above. If not, the main thing is to not do the commando thing. No one will enjoy that. Know when enough is enough, and that if you don't get to do something this trip, that you will be coming "home" for many years to come and can experience new things on your future trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter