Official Wine & Dine 2018

I like the mimosa plans...

In getting acclimated to running before November, I signed up for a somewhat local 5k in April. I'm doing that one with my oldest, and there's another one in May that is sponsored by one of the neighborhood schools. I'll take both kids to that one.

Would you folks suggest we also do another 5k in September or early October ahead of Wine and Dine? New to this, don't want to overdo it. We could just run on our own instead.

I'm going to start training using a couch to 5k or similar. I went to a running store and had my gait analyzed and now have a new pair of shoes. I'm pretty excited.

I've booked a room on cash in case my waitlist doesn't come through. I'm going to register both kids for the 5k, and also the kids' runs.

Where you waitlisted at?

Does anyone remember what time the half started this year? It looks like it was earlier than it used to be? Or they just wanted people on buses earlier this year? (Reading trip reports and it looks like the bus time was 1/2 hour earlier )

Does anyone remember what time the half started this year? It looks like it was earlier than it used to be? Or they just wanted people on buses earlier this year? (Reading trip reports and it looks like the bus time was 1/2 hour earlier )

It started at 5:30AM.

They are encouraging 30 minutes earlier based off Wine & Dine and Marathon Weekend. Too much risk with traffic!

I thought I read somewhere that we need to meet at the TTC before the races.

Am I recalling that right? Is it for all the races? I'm primarily interested in where we meet for the 5k.

Thanks!

I thought I read somewhere that we need to meet at the TTC before the races.

Am I recalling that right? Is it for all the races? I'm primarily interested in where we meet for the 5k.

Thanks!
The 5K is animal kingdom unless it changes

Just added a night to my DVC ressie so I can do the challenge. It will be my first one. I was supposed to do the Star Wars challenge at DL this weekend, but.....We still had a fun weekend at DL, but I missed the race and everything that goes along with race weekend.

OK, so I'm getting the impression its a very good idea to book and hold a room prior to registration? If so another dilemma, my go to resort (CB) is under all that construction, and I've heard horror stories about the morning of lines for buses to the runs so I don't want to do All-Star, any suggestions?

Of the eight years I've done the W&D races, I have had more issues with the bus service from Neach Club and Boardwalk than the All Stars. The year we did moderate we stayed at Coronado and drove, so I am unsure of the bus situation for that.

I’ve done all star movies for the 10k the past two years and have never had bus issues holding out booking rooms till March when I know I’ve gotten registered so hopefully they still have space.... shaking it up and staying at Pop for Dark Side (5k and 10k) hope busses are just as smoothe

We've stayed at POP for the races in 2015 and this past year and they are wonderful. Never had an issue with the buses to the expo or to the races.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions regarding hotels since my go to is under construction, and not at all the way I enjoyed my past runDisney trips. I believe I'm going to go with a moderate hotel as I like their little extra creature comforts of home in the rooms. (Not to have to waste time going to the food court in the mornings as I just gotta have that coffee in the morning or life just isn't worth living is a definite plus. That "quick trip" has almost cost my DH his life trying to even talk to me before I've had a sip.) So its also narrowed down to either PO/FQ or Riverside as I've stayed there before and know the lay of the land. Would love to try Coronado Springs but....honestly, its a runDisney half marathon weekend, CS is also under construction and I want little pop up distractions to have to deal with. Yes, I'll admit it, I'm just spoiled when it comes to routine and comfort on marathon weekends. But I do appreciate EVERYONE'S input and suggestions, thanks so very much!

I have a question about the after party at Epcot. We will only be there for a few days and will both be running the half. We will probably only have time to visit the parks one day prior to the race and I'm thinking we should do AK since I've not experienced all the new Pandora stuff. Anyway, my BF has never been to any park other than MK and really wants to see Epcot as well. Will we have enough time at the party for him to get the feel of Epcot and wander through all the countries? If not, we'll use our park day to go to Epcot as well, I was just trying to maximize our options. I know it's still 10 months away, but I'm a planner!

I have a question about the after party at Epcot. We will only be there for a few days and will both be running the half. We will probably only have time to visit the parks one day prior to the race and I'm thinking we should do AK since I've not experienced all the new Pandora stuff. Anyway, my BF has never been to any park other than MK and really wants to see Epcot as well. Will we have enough time at the party for him to get the feel of Epcot and wander through all the countries? If not, we'll use our park day to go to Epcot as well, I was just trying to maximize our options. I know it's still 10 months away, but I'm a planner!

This was our experience in 2017: (I have an AP, but DP only had a party ticket so no additional time beyond time allotted to the After Party)
•Walked back to Italy to meet friends
•Watched Illuminations
•Strolled anti-clockwise sampling from 85% food booths to the Oddessy (Goal for the trip was at least one thing from each booth)
•Stopped at China to look for Shanghai opening merch and have photopass with light up lotus flower
•Stopped at Norway so DP could ride Frozen Ever After for the first time (Spoiler: "I'm glad we didn't waste a FastPass on THAT"--I know blasphemy. Not sure how he is allowed to still come to WDW with me....)
•Stopped at Mexico for pics with Coco exhibit and ride Grand Fiesta Tour and a margarita from La Cava
•Found Test Track to be broken down
•Tried to ride Mission: Space. Got yelled at by a Disney suit
•Went to ride Soarin' (maybe Spaceship Earth beforehand?)
•Resumed circle food tour of the lagoon near Mexico including Future World food booths
•Add extra time for chatting with friends over drinks in the Light Lab
•Add even more time to corral DP, having consumed more alcohol than he probably should have
•Ended night just as we reached Canada

I would have liked to have more pics with characters (we scored zero) but had a blast with our little troupe of four eating, drinking and laughing our way thru the park.

Last edited:
I think the party will give you a good EPCOT experience, all the countries you can explore and the food booths are open too. Limited rides are open but it's the biggies like Test Track, Soarin, Frozen so I think using the party for your EPCOT time would work. I mean if you want to watch the country shows you'll miss out on those but you'll get the atmosphere.

Thanks! Yeah I want him to experience Soarin' for sure, and TT & SE if we have time, but the other rides & shows/movies can be skipped. We would spend most of the time in WS wandering around. I'm assuming the party crowd will be a lot lighter than a regular night at Epcot?

Thanks! Yeah I want him to experience Soarin' for sure, and TT & SE if we have time, but the other rides & shows/movies can be skipped. We would spend most of the time in WS wandering around. I'm assuming the party crowd will be a lot lighter than a regular night at Epcot?

With the party on a Sunday night, all of the half participants don't go because it keeps it from being a race weekend and costs another day of vacation time from work. The later into the night, the thinner the crowds. Two years ago, we danced along the back half of World Showcase and only had characters and cast members to interact with.

To piggyback off the question about Epcot, our plan is also to use the party as our one Epcot day. Is there a list of rides that are opened? I did W&D the first year and nothing was opened in Future World but I know that has changed. Did the race guide have anything listed in 2017?

I am making my deposit for an All-Star Family Suite today for the race weekend and hope a discount brings the AoA Suites and/or Wilderness Lodge closer in price so I can justify that switch.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions regarding hotels since my go to is under construction, and not at all the way I enjoyed my past runDisney trips. I believe I'm going to go with a moderate hotel as I like their little extra creature comforts of home in the rooms. (Not to have to waste time going to the food court in the mornings as I just gotta have that coffee in the morning or life just isn't worth living is a definite plus. That "quick trip" has almost cost my DH his life trying to even talk to me before I've had a sip.) So its also narrowed down to either PO/FQ or Riverside as I've stayed there before and know the lay of the land. Would love to try Coronado Springs but....honestly, its a runDisney half marathon weekend, CS is also under construction and I want little pop up distractions to have to deal with. Yes, I'll admit it, I'm just spoiled when it comes to routine and comfort on marathon weekends. But I do appreciate EVERYONE'S input and suggestions, thanks so very much!

In case it helps, with Pop's refurb they are putting coffee pots in the rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter