OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 pretrip and trip report!

Yes but was it a true Pilot/Flying J Travel Center or just a Dealer ?? Found that the dealers are typically older gas stations that were bought, renamed and are smaller. I know if it lists as a dealer on their site, I typically skip those. And also I know not all the travel centers have RV lanes, nice to have a diesel and use the truck pumps. pirate:

I was unaware of that, but I do know that this particular one was being built in 2012 as that is when the "Street Level" view is from and it's all the construction but the Higher level view shows it as it is today (well mostly I suppose).

After extensive searching I found what I think is a good amount of gas stations that we can stop at. We figured out our gas mileage and tank size and know that we like to go less than 350 miles between stations. 350 miles uses just about 3/4 of a tank for us and we don't like to get below 1/4 tank, especially in summer when we might need to run the generator for air conditioning since it cuts off at a quarter tank.

Here is the list I have:

In KY we only have 184 miles from our house to the Tennessee border so won't need to stop.

In Tennessee I-75 is 162 miles long and there are Pilots/Flying J at exits 141 and 117 that have pumps that are parallel to the building and look not too hard to pull in and out.

In Georgia I-75 is 355 miles long and there are Pilot's/Flying J's with RV lanes at exits 320, 201, and 2.

In Florida there is a Pilot with pumps that are parallel to the building at exit 329 off of I-75.

Anybody have advice on the best way to come at the Fort from I-75? I can't remember what way we went last time but I remember a lot of tollbooths that were a pain.

Now I am stressing that we should be more worried about our gas stops along the way (DH may have planned this though). We travel 95 for the majority of the trip (except we are taking 287 around NYC and Northern NJ) and avoiding tunnel in baltimore (which I actually think is 895), we have driven it a bunch but never with the camper past the 78 interchange in NJ. We are a 2500 standard truck with 33 ft camper, so might be a bit less than some of the big rigs/setups.

In the past we have just used our smartphones and tablets and looked at satellite images on google maps to determine if it will be a good setup.

Now I am stressing that we should be more worried about our gas stops along the way (DH may have planned this though). We travel 95 for the majority of the trip (except we are taking 287 around NYC and Northern NJ) and avoiding tunnel in baltimore (which I actually think is 895), we have driven it a bunch but never with the camper past the 78 interchange in NJ. We are a 2500 standard truck with 33 ft camper, so might be a bit less than some of the big rigs/setups.

In the past we have just used our smartphones and tablets and looked at satellite images on google maps to determine if it will be a good setup.
I have an F250. Like others, I don't like to get below a quarter tank. A full tank of gas while towing will get me an estimated 200 Miles (only about 36 gallon tank with around 7 MPG). So when I get to about a quarter tank (about 2 hours of driving) I start looking. Typically I shoot for Pilot's but will consider others. If they offer "Diesel" (right of the interstate) then typically they will have decent lanes (although not always). There are enough of them around that I do NOT plan them out (although I seem to hit the same ones on every trip). Don't stress over it too much. I think the "Quarter Tank" policy is good for most. Start looking when you get to it, but don't "Rush" to the next station if it's not what you need (as far as clearances and such). There have been times I have pulled off saw what was available and went right back on the interstate to the next stop.

IMG_4129.JPG I just noticed someone posted pictures with their phone! I need to figure out the process- anyone want to walk me thru it?
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY] or maybe this will work!

Hmmm I think it worked! Except where it says GALLERY twice lol That's one of our bunnies we raise by the way :dog::love:

He looks tasty...er...I mean loveable. Good to be hearing from you. We won't be able to pull off October this year. Kids school getting in the way.

He looks tasty...er...I mean loveable.
That was my thought too... :mickeybar

I just noticed someone posted pictures with their phone! I need to figure out the process- anyone want to walk me thru it?
Seems like you got it. I think the "Key" is the SIZE of the image. My phone is set to take the HIGHER quality images and the files end up being about 5 MB each which is too large for the boards. You can use a "Resizer" or take the pictures at a lower resolution. I haven't downloaded a "Re-Sizer" app yet, but may do this before our next trip. I really like to use the MAX resolution to take the pictures because I can always re-size them later. If you take them with the lower resolution, you cannot "Increase" the quality later on.

Seems though that you got the upload going. I wouldn't worry about the "Extra" Gallery brackets. If it really bothers you, you can "Edit" it out later on when you are at a PC.

I don't think you need to stress over it unless you've had problems getting gas before. We have! Been stuck a couple times, had times where we had to unhook the jeep so we could back up to get out, MAJOR PITA! So I now plan our stops our ahead of time lol

He looks tasty...er...I mean loveable. Good to be hearing from you. We won't be able to pull off October this year. Kids school getting in the way.
Don't forget- Minnesota will always welcome you! And we'd love to have you come visit us at our crazy farm!

I love this thread! My DH and I are tent camping Oct 9-12 at the fort! Although we have yet to buy our tent. :rolleyes1 Needless to say, we are new at camping. We are eyeing a certain tent, and waiting to see if it goes down in price.

As far as our plans. Here goes:
Oct 7 - We are leaving NC and heading down. We plan to stop about halfway. Right now I think we are looking at Savannah.
Oct 8 - Heading to St. Augustine, hoping to find somewhere around that area to camp. We will be researching campgrounds, so if anyone has ideas, let me know!!!!
Oct 9 - Checking into the fort, although I'm not sure how early we can do that. We are looking to do MNSSHP that night, so I hope we can check in early so we can get everything set up before we head to MK.
Oct 10 - Kona breakfast ADR, then hanging out at the Fort for the rest of the day. Pool, bike riding, and hopefully the campfire.
Oct 11 - Epcot for Food and Wine
Oct 12 - We will check out and head to Tampa to spend a few days with my dad (not camping).

We are optimistic about this trip and we are hoping that we can make this a yearly trip in between our stays at the resorts. We do plan on camping around here a few times before we go to WDW, so hopefully we can get the hang of it. We also plan on bringing a fan for inside the tent.

If anyone has any helpful tips for us, that would be great!!!!!!

I love this thread! My DH and I are tent camping Oct 9-12 at the fort! Although we have yet to buy our tent. :rolleyes1 Needless to say, we are new at camping. We are eyeing a certain tent, and waiting to see if it goes down in price.

Oct 7 - We are leaving NC and heading down. We plan to stop about halfway. Right now I think we are looking at Savannah.
Oct 8 - Heading to St. Augustine, hoping to find somewhere around that area to camp. We will be researching campgrounds, so if anyone has ideas, let me know!!!!
Oct 9 - Checking into the fort, although I'm not sure how early we can do that. We are looking to do MNSSHP that night, so I hope we can check in early so we can get everything set up before we head to MK.
Oct 10 - Kona breakfast ADR, then hanging out at the Fort for the rest of the day. Pool, bike riding, and hopefully the campfire.
Oct 12 - We will check out and head to Tampa to spend a few days with my dad (not camping).

We are optimistic about this trip and we are hoping that we can make this a yearly trip in between our stays at the resorts. We do plan on camping around here a few times before we go to WDW, so hopefully we can get the hang of it. We also plan on bringing a fan for inside the tent.

Well your plan for Oct 9th is a bit tight. Official Check in time for the Fort is 3pm. Your site could be ready before that, but one never knows. MNNSHP you can enter MK starting at 4pm with the event tickets, which I hope you have already purchased, some nights sell out, and I am not sure if any have this year. We got ours the first day they were available. It takes roughly an hour to get from the Fort to MK by boat, get thru security and all.
Other then that, looks great and enjoy. We will miss you by a couple weeks.

Well your plan for Oct 9th is a bit tight. Official Check in time for the Fort is 3pm. Your site could be ready before that, but one never knows. MNNSHP you can enter MK starting at 4pm with the event tickets, which I hope you have already purchased, some nights sell out, and I am not sure if any have this year. We got ours the first day they were available. It takes roughly an hour to get from the Fort to MK by boat, get thru security and all.
Other then that, looks great and enjoy. We will miss you by a couple weeks.

Yea, I may be reaching for the stars on the 9th, but I really want to hope that it works out. We want to do that party because we want a rest day before we go to Epcot on Wednesday. It's also my late mother's birthday, so I really want to go to MK and ride a few of her favorite rides in remembrance of her. I am keeping my fingers crossed. We haven't gotten our tickets yet, but I am hoping we get them this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up though. It's always good to have an outside perspective on plans!

My suggestion would be to get the tent and go camping, time yourself to see how long it takes you to set up. Then add that time to the 3 o'clock check in for a realistic idea of what time you could head to the MK. If you can accept the fact that you likely won't make it to MK by 4, but could probably get there around 5 or 6 then I think you could stick with your plan. If you end up being able to check in early, then you will get to mK earlier and it will be a bonus.

Other suggestion is to not entirely set up every single thing, just figure out what you'll need for the night like the tent, the beds, the fan, etc. Leave everything else in the car until it's needed the next day. That will save a little time.

My suggestion would be to get the tent and go camping, time yourself to see how long it takes you to set up. Then add that time to the 3 o'clock check in for a realistic idea of what time you could head to the MK. If you can accept the fact that you likely won't make it to MK by 4, but could probably get there around 5 or 6 then I think you could stick with your plan. If you end up being able to check in early, then you will get to mK earlier and it will be a bonus.

Other suggestion is to not entirely set up every single thing, just figure out what you'll need for the night like the tent, the beds, the fan, etc. Leave everything else in the car until it's needed the next day. That will save a little time.

Thanks! I think that will be our plan, just set up the tent, bed and fan. I am really hoping it all works out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter