Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Wow @OrangeBirdGirl I applaud your dedication to quality sleep and prep time! I am a disaster when I get back to the hotel post-race, in the most phenomenal rush to just drop clothes, shower and slap on mascara so I can "race" to the parks. LOL! I am always a little envious of more methodical people.

LOL i'm sure when we get back to the room the Mouse will be calling our name and it'll be as quick as we can get out of the room. Then at night it's going to be hard to force ourselves to leave. But it looks good on paper!

@sixfeetandi wow you sure have a great list of first coming up in less than 2 months! Congrats on your 20 milers. I'm following the RunDisney/Galloway training program too but we had to switch weekends for runs as my husband was out of town this weekend so next weekend we do the 8.5/20. 17 is the furthest I've run so far.

You'll be going home with some nice bling!!!!!

So, for the Dopey how do most handle park days. I'm travelling with my 2 kids, and they're going to want to hit the parks. They definitely won't want to stay at a resort the whole time. I know it's good to keep moving after a race, but not to go too crazy.

Wondering what people's experiences are for visiting the parks on race weekend
I'm a bit of an outlier: race weekends aren't family vacations for me, and I don't spend much time in the parks. I build in LOTS of rest time and time off my feet, because I know that works best for me!

Wed: drive to WDW, expo, early to bed
Thurs: 5K, back to hotel to stretch/foam roll/shower/eat/rest, out to a park for a ride or two, early to bed
Fri: 10K, back to hotel to stretch/foam roll/shower/eat/rest, out to a park for a ride or two, early to bed
Sat: 1/2, back to hotel to stretch/foam roll/shower/eat/rest, laundry, more eating and resting, early to bed
Sun: marathon, back to hotel to stretch/foam roll/shower/eat/rest, off to a park for rides and dinner

So, for the Dopey how do most handle park days. I'm travelling with my 2 kids, and they're going to want to hit the parks. They definitely won't want to stay at a resort the whole time. I know it's good to keep moving after a race, but not to go too crazy.

Wondering what people's experiences are for visiting the parks on race weekend
This will be my sixth Goofy/Dopey or Unofficial Dopey.

I usually do all 4 races at moderate to mild effort so based on how hard you will be running.

For us we usually have the following schedule.

Thursday + Friday Race,
Morning --> Back to Room Shower, Parks in the Morning to shortly after lunch time
Afternoon --> Head back to the room for a time to rest/swim/sit in the hot tub.
Evening --> some park time and a table service dinner. Usually back to the room by 9:30 ish

Saturday. Race.
Morning --> Back to Room Shower, rest and sit in the hot tub
Afternoon --> Head to the parks by early afternoon and have an early dinner
Evening --> Maybe a little more park time or Disney springs but striving to be back to the room by 8ish

Sunday morning thoughts: run, Signs, run , Castle, run, smelly stuff, run, Smelly animals, run, stadium,be tired, run, army man, Run, construction park, run, Boardwalk, run, epcot, excitement, run, Choir, run, Medals!
Morning --> Back to Room Shower, rest and sit in the hot tub
Afternoon --> Rest in room, maybe do a little bit in a park. NO STAIRS! Rides you have to sit down in are a pain (I'm looking at you Space Mountain)
Evening --> Early dinner, a little trip to MK probably wrapping by 8:30 and heading back to the room

Monday -->Holy Crap you can sleep in on vacation! Who knew!
Park/ Disney Springs time then head to the airport.

Sunday morning thoughts: run, Signs, run , Castle, run, smelly stuff, run, Smelly animals, run, stadium,be tired, run, army man, Run, construction park, run, Boardwalk, run, epcot, excitement, run, Choir, run, Medals!

Sunday morning thoughts: run, Signs, DJ, run , Castle, run, golf course, smelly stuff, run, Smelly animals, first bar, run, stadium,be tired, run, army man, Run, construction park, rides, run, Boardwalk, run, epcot, more beer, excitement, run, Choir, run, Medals!

Added a few missing items for you...

Sunday morning thoughts: run, Signs, DJ, run , Castle, run, golf course, smelly stuff, run, Smelly animals, first bar, run, stadium,be tired, run, army man, Run, construction park, rides, run, Boardwalk, run, epcot, more beer, excitement, run, Choir, run, Medals!

You missed Everest (ride) after first bar. ;)

Those are all good adds. I had thought about adding the Bridge DJ and left him out but he's definitely worthy of inclusion. I was also thinking about the train, and singing along with Neil Diamond in cone alley before the Golf courses.

Those are all good adds. I had thought about adding the Bridge DJ and left him out but he's definitely worthy of inclusion. I was also thinking about the train, and singing along with Neil Diamond in cone alley before the Golf courses.
Frig reading these things are making me more excited for the event.

While I'm completely nervous as hell about participating in Dopey and worried about finishing it. This made me chuckle (the run, signs etc.....) thanks for that

What are your favorite stretches to hit the IT band?

I was doing awesome with my Dope training (got up to 18 miles), but have run just once in the last two weeks due to IT band issues. I have been really trying to stretch it and strengthen the hips to get back to running, but wanted to see if any of you have experience coming back from it, especially with Dopey bearing down on us.

I was doing awesome with my Dope training (got up to 18 miles), but have run just once in the last two weeks due to IT band issues. I have been really trying to stretch it and strengthen the hips to get back to running, but wanted to see if any of you have experience coming back from it, especially with Dopey bearing down on us.
Since you were already at 18 miles, you are ready. At this point, with so little time to race day, my main advice would be to rest it. You are not going to solve muscle imbalance issues in 6 weeks, but you can get rid of the inflammation. Really, if it hurts at all to run, don't run. Try something like cycling to maintain your fitness while it heals.

You might also look into trying some kenesiology tape (Rock Tape or KT Tape) to see if that helps at all. I had a knee issue at one point. Sports chiropractor tried a few different things included needling. She didn’t actually think it was an IT band issue. She gave me stretches to do (don’t know how to explain them, but might not work for your issue either). Anyways, I had half marathons in back to back weekends. I really struggled through pain in the first one. When I saw her that week she tried several new things at the same time (usually she would only try one new thing at a time to see which would work), and this included taping my knee. That second half marathon - I had no pain. I continued to tape for any runs over 5 miles (that’s when the pain would show up), and I didn’t really have any more knee pain after that. I now am fine with no tape. It may not work for everyone, though. Just a thought.

You forgot beer in DHS as well. And parking lot beer!

Foam rolling helps....but I would let it rest before I rolled. Then roll gently along the area from above the knee to the hip, stopping and holding over any little spots that are particularly tight or elicit a "yahoo". Also, take a look at these stretches I have used various ones. It's all about stretching the hips and glutes.

https://www.active.com/fitness/articles/8-yoga-poses-and-stretches-for-a-tight-it-band/slide-5

Hi, i am an dopey beginner. It will be my first marathon weekend. First WDW visit, first (full)marathon, first dopey challenge and first disney cruise with castaway cay challenge. I am really excited! I follow the dopey training plan and yesterday i have run twenty miles the first time in my life...

You are in for a huge week at Disney. It sounds like you really went all in. I hope that you have an incredible time.

I'm getting excited too. Hope everyone's training runs are going well.

ITBS is a chronic battle for me due to scoliosis (the curve in my spine creates a leg length/hip height imbalance.) IME there isn't a lot you can do with stretching: the IT band itself is not stretchable, but if you have tightness in other places your ITB may be getting overworked trying to make up for that. I find regular yoga practice to hit all the major and minor muscles groups to be really helpful. Also...

Since you were already at 18 miles, you are ready. At this point, with so little time to race day, my main advice would be to rest it. You are not going to solve muscle imbalance issues in 6 weeks, but you can get rid of the inflammation. Really, if it hurts at all to run, don't run.
I can't agree more! Once you have that inflammation the only thing that will make it go away is rest. Really, any activity that doesn't cause pain is fine; you just don't want to continue aggravating that spot where the IT band rubs. An ITB strap may also be helpful in warding it off when you do run again - I've not found that it fixes anything, but it does work well preventatively for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!