Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Hello, complete new person here and I need to cry for help and advice on my first post.

First of all I have never been to Disney and for some strange reason I have the desire to visit Orlando and do a dopey challenge, and i have run a few races here in the UK but never 4 back to back races, three in one day yes (1 Mile, 10k & 5k wearing a santa suit).

I will be travelling alone so can do what I want when I want :) but my question in race day breakfasts can you still get some sort of food at the resort at like 2-3am? or is it best going to Walmart etc and grabbing something from there and having it in your fridge in the room?

I will be travelling alone so can do what I want when I want :) but my question in race day breakfasts can you still get some sort of food at the resort at like 2-3am? or is it best going to Walmart etc and grabbing something from there and having it in your fridge in the room?
Nothing will be open at that time. They will sell "Race breakfast" boxes that have a banana and bagel, etc. in them that you can buy the night before.

Hello, complete new person here and I need to cry for help and advice on my first post.

First of all I have never been to Disney and for some strange reason I have the desire to visit Orlando and do a dopey challenge, and i have run a few races here in the UK but never 4 back to back races, three in one day yes (1 Mile, 10k & 5k wearing a santa suit).

Short answer - you're on your own.

Bread, cereal, bagels can be acquired the day before, but don't look for an abundance of options at the actual start.

They do sell bananas and such, but if you want specifics, figure out a way to acquire it before race day.

My two cents

Brian

18 miles today.... what. I'm just 7-8 weeks from my first full and never thought I'd run nearly a Disney weekend challenge in one day.

I had one moment of panic at mile 17 when I'd realized I was running out of steam and I would have had another 9 to go on the full. First time that's happened but my running companion knocked some sense into me and said to only focus on today.

The first time I ran 17 miles, I literally collapsed on the sidewalk -- spread out like a snow angel -- for about 10 min until I could get enough energy to walk back to my car. I finally got up when the second person who passed by asked me if I was okay. I thought when I ran that part of my training that there was no way I'd ever finish a marathon, but I have...twice! You can do it! Believe me, if I can...anyone can.

5K: Mexican ducks from Grand Fiesta Boat Ride
10K: Sleeping Beauty Fairies
Half: Bob's Barricades
Full: VIP Plaids
I expected the Bob's Barricades to be my favorite costume here but the VIP Plaids are which an outstanding choice. I can't wait to see it.

Oh - that was done back on registration week for us! :rotfl2:

5K: Mexican ducks from Grand Fiesta Boat Ride
10K: Sleeping Beauty Fairies
Half: Bob's Barricades
Full: VIP Plaids

We are going to be the 3 Caballeros for the half. We made the costumes for last years half and didn't really get to wear them. I think I am going to make some heavy adjustments to my Panchito costume though. Our Jose costume for last year was great so it doesn't need work.

The plaid costume is a great idea! I so wish I had thought of that.

Nothing will be open at that time. They will sell "Race breakfast" boxes that have a banana and bagel, etc. in them that you can buy the night before.

The other much more expensive option is Race retreat. I believe they have food in there.

According to runDisney the retreat includes "Pre-race bagels and fruit, plus coffee, water and PowerAde" and a "Disney catered post-race brunch" among the other goodies provided.

I expected the Bob's Barricades to be my favorite costume here but the VIP Plaids are which an outstanding choice. I can't wait to see it.

We are going to be the 3 Caballeros for the half. We made the costumes for last years half and didn't really get to wear them. I think I am going to make some heavy adjustments to my Panchito costume though. Our Jose costume for last year was great so it doesn't need work.

The plaid costume is a great idea! I so wish I had thought of that.

The VIP Plaids were going to be our Marathon outfits this year, but the weather got in the way of that ... so, at least they're all finished and ready for 2018!

Ugh, outfits! Right now I have a few in mind, Kevin, Donald, Storm Trooper or Princess Leia or Olaf (see a theme? I have a white skirt I want to use) and maybe something Pixar. It is just expensive planning for both a cold and warm weather version of each.... :confused3

Ugh, outfits! Right now I have a few in mind, Kevin, Donald, Storm Trooper or Princess Leia or Olaf (see a theme? I have a white skirt I want to use) and maybe something Pixar. It is just expensive planning for both a cold and warm weather version of each.... :confused3

EVA from Wall-e? A dalmation?

I'm just planning for warm weather. I figure this northerner can handle being in shorts and a tank in anything above 40 degrees. :D

If you are really used to cold weather I think there are very few Disney races that you'd need more than that. I find that the harder time is the hours before the race. I'm usually to Epcot by about 4 am that. Leaves almost 2 hours of standing around before you start running, so you may want to consider bringing something that you can toss that you can wear while you are waiting. I usually pack at least a pair of throw away gloves, a shirt to toss and a big garbage bag. The garbage bags tend to be my go to item as they provide great wind resistance.

I wasn't there but it was below 40 degrees from the start until around 9:30am according to the weather history. I'm sure that varied to a small degree where on the course you were and it's not that likely to happen again but if you have some extra space in your suitcase you may want to consider packing something.
Yes, I can attest it was FRIGID for the first part of the race. Especially standing in the corrals. I had handwarmers, a short sleeve shirt, a long sleeve shirt, a heavy jacket, hat, sockhat, earmuffs, thermals, shorts, and knee high compression socks and I still froze. The wind (10-15 MPH) and humidity (73-82%) made it that much worse. Wind chills were in the high 20s. I had multiple training runs before the race that were colder in temperature and even some with freezing rain/snow, but the Disney Marathon felt colder than any run I had ever done. Once the sun got up, it was much better though. But man was it cold at the start!

If you are really used to cold weather I think there are very few Disney races that you'd need more than that. I find that the harder time is the hours before the race. I'm usually to Epcot by about 4 am that. Leaves almost 2 hours of standing around before you start running, so you may want to consider bringing something that you can toss that you can wear while you are waiting. I usually pack at least a pair of throw away gloves, a shirt to toss and a big garbage bag. The garbage bags tend to be my go to item as they provide great wind resistance.
Yes and the garbage bags are excellent. They hold in the heat very well. I would also bring some hand warmers. They barely take up any space and are pretty cheap. I had a bag of them that I shared at the race and I became everyone's best friend. Just about everywhere in Orlando was sold out or did not carry hand warmers. I finally found some at a ski store north of Orlando which was packed with Disney runners looking for winter gear.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I will definitely pack plan B outfits for anything under 40 degrees and just ditch the themed warm outfit, but really temps in the 40's is ideal running weather for me. I'll bring throw away sweatshirts for the corral waiting too. Definitely going to have to bring the biggest suitcase I own!

I usually pack at least a pair of throw away gloves, a shirt to toss and a big garbage bag. The garbage bags tend to be my go to item as they provide great wind resistance.

Yes and the garbage bags are excellent. They hold in the heat very well.

If you're going to use a garbage bag, please discard them safely. Throw them on a fence or drop them into a trash bin, but whatever you do, don't drop them in the road. They're nearly impossible to see in the dark and create a serious tripping and safety hazard for everyone coming along behind you. I have friends who have been injured less than a mile into the race by getting their feet caught in a bag on the road, and it pretty much ruined their weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter