Official Dopey 2018 Thread

In it's most basic form, a running training plan is meant to provide a "stimulus" to the body and mind. The "stimulus" depends on the type of training you do. You do speed training and you elicit the potential for changing your muscle fibers from speed focused to endurance focused (can take years to make this transition). You do lactate threshold pace training and your ability to run a certain pace for about an hour becomes faster. You do a run in super hot conditions over many days and you're body thins out your blood so the blood can travel throughout the body easier and the heart doesn't have to work as hard. Running multiple days in a row causes your body to be in a state of mild fatigue which over time puts you at a different "starting position" for different runs (i.e. instead of starting at mile 1 for your long run, you're actually starting at mile 8, OR said another way if the fatigue build-up in your body is zero going into your long run you might never teach your body what it's like to run beyond your long run mileage
@DopeyBadger This advice has been very valuable to me and I wanted to thank you. I have been running seriously for a decade and never bought into the slow run training. I figured, if I wanted to run a 3:30 marathon, by long runs should be at 8 minute miles. As I have gotten older, this has been more of a struggle and fatigue has built up. After reading your post and the accompanying articles, I have adjusted my training, and the last two weeks have rejuvenated my running.

So, thanks for the great advice and putting what I have heard for years into terms that I finally listened to!

@DopeyBadger This advice has been very valuable to me and I wanted to thank you. I have been running seriously for a decade and never bought into the slow run training. I figured, if I wanted to run a 3:30 marathon, by long runs should be at 8 minute miles. As I have gotten older, this has been more of a struggle and fatigue has built up. After reading your post and the accompanying articles, I have adjusted my training, and the last two weeks have rejuvenated my running.

So, thanks for the great advice and putting what I have heard for years into terms that I finally listened to!

Honestly, thank you! I tend to write very long winded answers to questions, but that's just because there are many ways to answer the same question. It brings me great joy to hear someone got something out of it. Welcome to the next phase of your whole running journey!

I'm here, I'm here! (You probably didn't notice I wasn't LOL) I had some issues getting into the swing of training with a Summer vacation and the need for outdoor drinks but I'm back. I am going to be following the long run schedule for the most part for Galloway with some adjustments as I don't like to go past 21 miles at the end. I am doing maybe 1 or so short runs a week as I have started doing Orange Theory Fitness and will be doing that 2-3 times/week! I feel great doing that and it's really helping with my endurance. I also need to lose about 45-50 pounds so hopefully that helps it melt off ;)

Travel related as I seem to have missed the discussion on all of that ... I will be going alone again from Tuesday-Friday with everyone else coming in on Friday! I'm going to stay at French Quarter the whole time this year which I'm psyched about since I switched to POP for a few days last time. I also get to stay until Tuesday instead of Monday this year which should be nice to get a full day and a half after marathon day!

How is everyone doing with training and planning? I'm at the point again where I'm realizing that it will be coming up quicker than I expect.

I hate to ask again, but does anyone know of any charities with Dopey bibs still left? I signed up a month or so back to run for a charity and they said they would contact me by the 15th of July so that I could start making payments. That has come and gone and I can't get an email or anyone on the phone. I have already booked and paid for my resort, etc. I would really love to do the Dopey and not have to cancel. I'm all ears for any Charity with bibs!

I would really love to do the Dopey and not have to cancel. I'm all ears for any Charity with bibs!

http://www.teamintraining.org/events/walt-disney-world-marathonr-weekend-presented-cignar

I think Team in Training may have some spots left, but the fundraising requirements are pretty steep and they require you book through them for the room. So you could cancel your room and put the room cost toward the fundraising amount and the original $600 entry fee as well.

I know people who religiously will run for Team in Training for many events, but the amount of money needed to raise is insane. I just don't like that if there's a gap in raising funds and what is owed that you're on the hook for it.

Great cause, but my finances can't do it. More power to those who can!

Dunno if JDRF has any spots left.. Had considered working with them one year, but again, decided I'd rather just pay the price and not worry about fund raising.

Thanks everyone! My charity came through! Apparently they were on vacation for a bit and I just panicked when I hadn't heard anything nor was anything showing up in my active.com account. Everything is cleared up now! WHEW!!! Thank you all for your help!

Thanks everyone! My charity came through! Apparently they were on vacation for a bit and I just panicked when I hadn't heard anything nor was anything showing up in my active.com account. Everything is cleared up now! WHEW!!! Thank you all for your help!

Oh, good! I knew they probably weren't up to something nefarious, so I'm glad it all worked out!

Lots of these charities are very small (the one I run for only has two "employees" and two other runners that volunteer to help coordinate logistics), so it takes time to get around to everything.

I hope everyone's training is going well! I need some self motivation to keep up with training. So many fun things going on in the summer! Has everyone booked their flights?

I booked my flight going down using my SW points, I haven't found a good flight back at a reasonable price/points yet.

Everything I can get done has been done. Room booked and paid for, ADRs set, flights to and back are reserved.

I'm still pondering ChEAR Squad and Race Retreat.

I just booked my flights earlier this week. The prices were ridiculous, but after tracking prices for several weeks, it looked unlikely I would see much movement. This weekend being right after the holidays is not making for great airfare options. I'm glad I have them booked though. Always helps make the trip more real!!

I just booked my flights earlier this week. The prices were ridiculous, but after tracking prices for several weeks, it looked unlikely I would see much movement. This weekend being right after the holidays is not making for great airfare options. I'm glad I have them booked though. Always helps make the trip more real!!

I noticed that leaving the Tuesday after Marathon Weekend has some cheap flights. Sunday and Monday are both pretty pricey. Getting down to Florida is bad really anytime between Christmas and during the races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter