Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Okay, this makes me feel better about the quote! Thank you for responding. I just wanted to make sure that price they gave me wasn’t way out of line.

I hate screen prints - we will only be using fondant for his cake. GF bakery convinced me to use a screen print on my other son’s dumbo cake because they claimed it was the only dumbo cake they could do. It was heinous and I was so upset. It’s worth it to pay to get what you want if they offer your design in fondant.

Wanted to jump in and say that last year i had the YC make an Alice in Wonderland cake for my DDs bday. The cake was amazing!!! (Pics are somewhere in this thread) I paid a little over $200 and it was a 1/2 sheet cake if memory serves. I am sure you will be delighted!!

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which bakery was easier to work with or which bakery people felt better about. For my son's birthday, we are going to HDDR. So we don't want to do the cake that evening. But the night before, we will be at Narcoossee's and the night after, California Grill. Either one would be great. Would you pick Grand Floridian bakery or Contemporary and why?

Finally getting around to posting our amazing "groom's cake" that we had delivered to our "rehearsal dinner" at the HDDR on April 27th.

After an initial email to the Contemporary I received an email from private dining at the Wilderness Lodge and set up a time to speak with Jane about the cake. I wanted a Haunted Mansion theme and sent inspiration pictures, but she also confirmed the details with me over the phone. She even called a few days before to make sure I wanted the bride and groom portrait and not the skeleton one.

The cake was amazing! It was yellow cake with cream cheese filling and fresh strawberries. I honestly liked it better than our wedding cake. We had a ton leftover even with 14 people because they brought out the strawberry shortcake before this cake :sad2:

And we didn't get to take the leftovers to our room because we were moving hotels the next day. So I gave it to my sister, but it wouldn't fit in their fridge so I think it got tossed. I will definitely order this flavor and filling combo on our next trip!

It was really hard to get a good picture in the dim HDDR lighting.

IMG_5951.JPG IMG_5955.JPG

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which bakery was easier to work with or which bakery people felt better about. For my son's birthday, we are going to HDDR. So we don't want to do the cake that evening. But the night before, we will be at Narcoossee's and the night after, California Grill. Either one would be great. Would you pick Grand Floridian bakery or Contemporary and why?

We’ve used the Contemporary bakery more times than any other. We’ve never been disappointed with the cakes they have made for us. We used Grand Floridian bakery to make my son’s birthday cake back in October and we were very disappointed. Granted, I let them convince me to do a screen print which I thought was a bad idea from the start, but the cake itself wasn’t as good as the previous cakes we had ordered from Contemporary bakery (per my husband - I am DF so can only eat cake from Erin McKenna NYC bakery).

If you go with GF bakery (or wherever you choose), I would just highly recommend avoiding screen print cake. Don’t settle for less than what you really want because you will regret it.

I will try the Contemporary then! I have celiac and won't be having it either. Thank you very much for responding!

I will try the Contemporary then! I have celiac and won't be having it either. Thank you very much for responding!

We've always used the Contemporary up until this past weekend when we tried Boardwalk Bakery. Always been easy to work with. We also had no trouble getting a gluten free cake from them a couple years back so if you want to enjoy the cake as well it might be an option still.

I have also used the Contemporary numerous times and never been disappointed! I was a little turned off by some other resorts hearing how it was difficult to work with them. I was never denied any requests at the Contemporary and the staff really worked through the designs with me.

Hope it comes out great!

I have tried searching through the forum and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. Sorry if it is in here somewhere already! We are going to Disney in August this year staying at Kidani at AK Lodge and it will be my youngest daughter's birthday and my oldest is graduating from 8th grade! I am thinking of maybe getting a Zebra cake delivered to our room for the oldest for graduation - does anyone have any pictures of what this may look like? We have reservations during the week at 'Ohana and was also thinking maybe I could do 2 mini 2 tier cakes - 1 for birthday and 1 for grad. I read that they start at $35... is that without any decorations? I was thinking maybe just a stitch and/or tropical theme or Minnie for the birthday, and does anyone know if Disney does any type of grad decorations? Maybe just tropical or Ariel and congratulations for her???? I am trying to keep the total for both around 80 if I can. Any ideas are welcome!!!!:confused3 :tink:

I have tried searching through the forum and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. Sorry if it is in here somewhere already! We are going to Disney in August this year staying at Kidani at AK Lodge and it will be my youngest daughter's birthday and my oldest is graduating from 8th grade! I am thinking of maybe getting a Zebra cake delivered to our room for the oldest for graduation - does anyone have any pictures of what this may look like?

Here are some photos of Zebra Dome cakes made by AKL and posted by other DISers....

Zebra%20Done%20Cake_zpsgoe4avhr.jpeg

Zebra%20Dome%20Cake%20alt_zpsdyb0vb1m.jpg

We have reservations during the week at 'Ohana and was also thinking maybe I could do 2 mini 2 tier cakes - 1 for birthday and 1 for grad. I read that they start at $35... is that without any decorations?

Yes, the prices of mini cakes can go up to $60 or even $80 each depending on how elaborate you want the decorations. I would tell Grand Floridian Private Dining that you want X theme for each cake and want to keep the budget at $X and see what they can do for you.

Are other options available aside from the standard "celebration" cakes for an Akershus dinner reservation? I'm looking for a somewhat customized birthday cake for multiples.

Are other options available aside from the standard "celebration" cakes for an Akershus dinner reservation? I'm looking for a somewhat customized birthday cake for multiples.

Yes, if you go to the EPCOT section of Post #2, it gives you info for contacting Disney's pastry team, which services Akershus but not all the restaurants in every country. The exceptions are broken out in the list below it, but all you need is that first paragraph.

When you contact them, you can tell them what your custom idea is and see if they are able to execute it.

Yes, if you go to the EPCOT section of Post #2, it gives you info for contacting Disney's pastry team, which services Akershus but not all the restaurants in every country. The exceptions are broken out in the list below it, but all you need is that first paragraph.

When you contact them, you can tell them what your custom idea is and see if they are able to execute it.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

Has anyone had a Boba Fett cake done? We will be at Disney for my husband's 40th and I think it would be awesome to get him a cake!

Here's one done by the Grand Floridian Pastry team for a Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding.

Boba%20Fett%20Cake_zpsuzugbupr.jpg
Thanks Lurkyloo! That is awesome! We will be staying at Pop so fingers crossed Boardwalk Bakery could create something similar. I know that prices vary, but in your opinion could you give a price estimate of what you think it would cost? If not, that's totally fine :)

Thanks Lurkyloo! That is awesome! We will be staying at Pop so fingers crossed Boardwalk Bakery could create something similar. I know that prices vary, but in your opinion could you give a price estimate of what you think it would cost? If not, that's totally fine :)

Let's see... That one looks like a 10-inch. Probably the smallest BoardWalk Bakery will let you do is an 8-inch.... I'm guessing they'll charge between $80 and $100, but let us know what they say!

Let's see... That one looks like a 10-inch. Probably the smallest BoardWalk Bakery will let you do is an 8-inch.... I'm guessing they'll charge between $80 and $100, but let us know what they say!
Thanks Lurkyloo! I will definitely report back! Our trip isn't until September but I'll probably try calling soon just to see if it's a possibility!

Has anyone ordered a cake from the boardwalk bakery. We are staying at OKW so if I want it delivered it will be from there, or I can pick it up since we have a car. I was looking for an 8 inch marble with chocolate or peanut butter filling and vanilla buttercream. Not sure what to do for an engagement cake. I prefer to not have fondant but I don't think I could get as nice of a cake. Any ideas on a design would be helpful.

Thanks for all the advice on these cake threads!

I've ordered a cake for my son, who is turning 10, to be delivered to our room at the Grand Floridian on our check-in day next week. I spoke with Pat, who was very sweet. She asked me a series of questions to take the order, and instead of asking what size cake we wanted she asked how many people. There are just three of us, so I told her we needed a small cake. If it turns out to be 8" instead of 6" it won't be a big deal for us--we'll eat leftovers the rest of the week. :) I gave her a budget of up to $100, asked for marble cake with white buttercream and told her he wanted a cat theme. She asked for the colors of our pet cats, and other than that I told her to let the chef run with it. Fingers crossed it all works out!

Hello everyone! Came here to talk to the experts, been scrolling through cake threads for hours but there are just so many! We are celebrating my daughter's Sweet 16 in August at O'Hana at the Polynesian. She is a huge Tangled/Rapunzel fan so I'm hoping I can get a cake with that theme somehow. Have any of you seen a cake like this or had one made? I know the thread says to Call Grand Floridian bakery for specialty cake but just wanted to see if you had any experience or photos of a Tangled cake! Thank you in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!