Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Has anyone had issues ordering something for California Grill? I have left three messages. 2 last week, one this week and have yet to have anyone call me back. Our trip is coming soon, just over 2 weeks till we go.

Has anyone had issues ordering something for California Grill? I have left three messages. 2 last week, one this week and have yet to have anyone call me back. Our trip is coming soon, just over 2 weeks till we go.
We had a cake delivered here 2 years ago. No issues, but I do recall leaving several messages and waiting a while for a call back.

This has happened to me before. You need to call the Contemporary and ask to be transferred to Private Dining. Then tell them that the cake team is not calling you back, and they'll make sure somebody takes a look at your request. I'd email it too so there's something they can read!

Can you get the Mickey celebration cake delivered to POFQ? I saw where it says deluxe hotels. I know I can get a custom ordered cake picked up at the food court, but can I do the celebration cake?

Yes, that should be doable, but you will probably still have to pick it up. Worst case, you can go over to Boatwright's at POR and ask for one at the podium.

Couple of questions...

1. What’s the best timeframe to call? (As in, how far before the trip should I call?) I’ve seen varying advice on this and was wondering about people’s actual experiences. I’ll be ordering from the GF for delivery to Kona Cafe.

2. How big are the mini-cakes? I’ve seen “serves 2,” but serving sizes can be arbitrary. My party is myself, my husband, and our to-be 3 year old son. Would a mini-cake be enough or should I get a 6 inch?

I've spoken to Virginia over at AKL bakery about getting a cake for my Jiko reservation next week. I'm surprising my husband for our 1 year wedding anniversary. I was trying to get flavors as close to our wedding cake as possible (Disney wedding). She has been more then helpful and so so sweet! They have always answered right away and were very helpful. I'm excited to see how it turns out. The bakery there can only do 8" cakes and the Mickey dome cakes for anyone wondering. No mini cakes. I settled on the 8" which will be WAY more then what we need but hey, it's Disney. It'll get eaten! I'll post photos in a few weeks when we return!

1. What’s the best timeframe to call? (As in, how far before the trip should I call?) I’ve seen varying advice on this and was wondering about people’s actual experiences. I’ll be ordering from the GF for delivery to Kona Cafe.

I'd start calling about a month out because sometimes it can take a while to hear back. And *always* call a few days before to reconfirm all the details of your order.

2. How big are the mini-cakes? I’ve seen “serves 2,” but serving sizes can be arbitrary. My party is myself, my husband, and our to-be 3 year old son. Would a mini-cake be enough or should I get a 6 inch?

It depends on whether you get a 1-tier mini cake or a 2-tier minicake. It depends on how much cake you, your husband and your son like to eat. I am a sugar fiend and can still only put away about half of a 2-tier minicake in one sitting, cuz it's just so much frosting.

A 6-inch will definitely be too big, even if you just get a 2-layer buttercream one and not the ginormous 4-layer fancy kind with fondant over the buttercream.

This shot shows the scale of a 1-tier minicake:
PumpkinMiniCake008.jpg

It's harder to tell, but this one is the best I have to show the scale of a 2-tier mini cake.
MiniWeddingCake.jpg

I'd start calling about a month out because sometimes it can take a while to hear back. And *always* call a few days before to reconfirm all the details of your order.

It depends on whether you get a 1-tier mini cake or a 2-tier minicake. It depends on how much cake you, your husband and your son like to eat. I am a sugar fiend and can still only put away about half of a 2-tier minicake in one sitting, cuz it's just so much frosting.

A 6-inch will definitely be too big, even if you just get a 2-layer buttercream one and not the ginormous 4-layer fancy kind with fondant over the buttercream.

This shot shows the scale of a 1-tier minicake:
PumpkinMiniCake008.jpg

It's harder to tell, but this one is the best I have to show the scale of a 2-tier mini cake.
MiniWeddingCake.jpg

Thanks for the info! I think a 2 tier mini cake would be a good size for us!

This has happened to me before. You need to call the Contemporary and ask to be transferred to Private Dining. Then tell them that the cake team is not calling you back, and they'll make sure somebody takes a look at your request. I'd email it too so there's something they can read!

So far I have left 3 messages with the cake hotline. One last Monday, one last Wednesday, and one yesterday. No call back.

Today I sent an email to the email address I got from here for the Contemporary cake order. Fingers crossed I hear back from someone this way.

I also called the Contemporary and the person I spoke with told me that the Cinderella Slipper dessert is not ordered through the cake hot line, that it has to be done through the Disney dining line. When I decided to order this I did call the Disney dining line first, and they are the ones who told me I needed to order through the cake hotline. Anyway, the guy at Contemporary transferred me to Disney dining, insisting "he's been here for a very long time and he has never heard of ordering the slipper dessert through the cake hotline" and again telling me it must be done through Disney dining. I get transferred to Disney dining and the CM there says he is sorry for the wrong information, but he can not add the slipper dessert through the dining line. Tells me to try the cake hotline.

Has anyone had success ordering the Cinderella chocolate slipper dessert to be delivered at California Grill? If so how did you accomplish this? Our trip is in 2 weeks, and this is a surprise for my son's girlfriend's birthday dinner at Cali Grill. This is basically her first trip to Disney (she went when she was very young and hardly remembers anything), and this is her birthday dinner, so we want it to be special.

I also called the Contemporary and the person I spoke with told me that the Cinderella Slipper dessert is not ordered through the cake hot line, that it has to be done through the Disney dining line. When I decided to order this I did call the Disney dining line first, and they are the ones who told me I needed to order through the cake hotline. Anyway, the guy at Contemporary transferred me to Disney dining, insisting "he's been here for a very long time and he has never heard of ordering the slipper dessert through the cake hotline" and again telling me it must be done through Disney dining. I get transferred to Disney dining and the CM there says he is sorry for the wrong information, but he can not add the slipper dessert through the dining line. Tells me to try the cake hotline.

The Cinderella slipper dessert is provided by Private Dining. It is not something you can add via Disney Dining. If you get the same "long-time" staffer at Private Dining at the Contemporary when you call back, you can tell him exactly what Disney Dining said and request that he speak to the pastry team for details. I guess it could be that they can no longer get them over at the Contemporary and it's only the Grand Floridian that does them now, but for many years this was not a problem at the Contemporary.

Or just wait and ask the pastry chef who answers your email.

593E9D53-8667-4DFA-9CF8-23A46F798ECB.jpeg

This is the cake we got for my brother-in-law’s 40th birthday. It was made by the Contemporary Bakery and delivered to our Boulder Ridge Villa at WIlderness Lodge. Icing was chocolate buttercream, filling was peanut butter mousse and 8” cake was marble. It was made to be treenut and sesame free due to an allergy and it was very tasty. All 8 of us enjoyed multiple slices throughout our stay.

Base cost, including gold trimmed monorail, was $129. After taxes, delivery and gratuity it was over $160. Pricey even by Disney standards for what we got, in my opinion. That said, the gold-trimmed monorail (which my BiL got a kick out of) was $35 of the base cost ... worth it for his reaction, but expensive for a hollow chocolate figure nonetheless.

As context, this was the 4th WDW cake we’ve had over the past decade ... all 8” and all made by the CB ... unfortunately it’s the most expensive one and the one with the least WOW factor. For lack of a better explanation, it came out too formal for our tastes. (A far cry from the whimsical “monorail and fireworks” theme I initially sent photos of. The base quote for that idea was not in the budget though.)

Update on my quest to order the Cinderella slipper dessert. Looks like sending the email was the magic solution! I got an email back this morning so hopefully we can get this thing ordered!

Now just waiting to hear back from WL about a graduation cake for our whispering canyon meal!

Im looking to order a cake for my DD's 10th Birthday this fall. I was wondering if anyone had a good example of an Aurora themed cake or one with the castle on it? In the past we have ordered through Pat and got a beautiful Tiffany blue cake with cinderella's slipper and pink roses but wanted something a little different this year!

I got this one from the Contemporary in October 2017. It was a 10-inch and I believe they charged $111.

IMG_7703_2.JPG IMG_7707_2.JPG IMG_7706.JPG

This is the cake we got for my brother-in-law’s 40th birthday. It was made by the Contemporary Bakery and delivered to our Boulder Ridge Villa at WIlderness Lodge. Icing was chocolate buttercream, filling was peanut butter mousse and 8” cake was marble. It was made to be treenut and sesame free due to an allergy and it was very tasty. All 8 of us enjoyed multiple slices throughout our stay.

Base cost, including gold trimmed monorail, was $129. After taxes, delivery and gratuity it was over $160. Pricey even by Disney standards for what we got, in my opinion. That said, the gold-trimmed monorail (which my BiL got a kick out of) was $35 of the base cost ... worth it for his reaction, but expensive for a hollow chocolate figure nonetheless.

As context, this was the 4th WDW cake we’ve had over the past decade ... all 8” and all made by the CB ... unfortunately it’s the most expensive one and the one with the least WOW factor. For lack of a better explanation, it came out too formal for our tastes. (A far cry from the whimsical “monorail and fireworks” theme I initially sent photos of. The base quote for that idea was not in the budget though.)

I got this one from the Contemporary in October 2017. It was a 10-inch and I believe they charged $111.

Thank you both for posting photos and details! :goodvibes

Wish me luck.
I've been so slammed at work I haven't been able to call Pat @ Grand Floridian until today ... 12 days until the trip. But, 15 days until we'll be at O'Hana.
I asked for a 6" two tier (mini top tier) or an 8" with almond + almond crunch filler, and a Mickey and Minnie Anniversary white chocolate topper w/ silver and evergreen accents. Nothing too extravagant.
I'm worried it's just too close to the trip time.

Other ideas in case this doesn't work out?

Wish me luck.
I've been so slammed at work I haven't been able to call Pat @ Grand Floridian until today ... 12 days until the trip. But, 15 days until we'll be at O'Hana.
I asked for a 6" two tier (mini top tier) or an 8" with almond + almond crunch filler, and a Mickey and Minnie Anniversary white chocolate topper w/ silver and evergreen accents. Nothing too extravagant.
I'm worried it's just too close to the trip time.

Other ideas in case this doesn't work out?

15 days should be plenty of time. I just ordered one for next week and have done one about 10 days out as well with no issues.

I called a month ago, and placed an order with Pat for a 2-tier mini cake for dinner on the 16th at 'Ohana (birthday surprise). I called today and left a voicemail to confirm that everything was still scheduled for Tuesday. I've not received a return call back. Should I be worried?

I called a month ago, and placed an order with Pat for a 2-tier mini cake for dinner on the 16th at 'Ohana (birthday surprise). I called today and left a voicemail to confirm that everything was still scheduled for Tuesday. I've not received a return call back. Should I be worried?

I believe she does work over the weekend, so if you haven't heard back by tomorrow, just call the main Private Dining number and have them confirm everything for you: 407-824-2474

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!