Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Anyone have any recent experience ordering a cake through the Contemporary cake email? How long does it typically take to get a response?

I emailed them in the last two weeks regarding 3 cakes I just ordered. I got a response in 24- 48 hours the first time and within 24 hours as we discussed details. Getting a hold of the people to place the order was trickier. I kept missing their call. It was Sunday when we spoke by phone and I needed the cakes for Tuesday. All went well and the cakes were great.

I'm joining in on the cake planning fun! This will be my first cake, and for some reason I can't help but be ecstatic about the process leading up to the reveal. That's right, I'm planning to surprise my travel party of 8 (my bro, some cousins, a boyfriend of a cousin, and a wife of another cousin) with a Lilo and Stitch'esque cake during our August trip. Since we're all practically family, I wanted to celebrate our "Ohana" since we rarely ever get to gather now that we're all grown.

We're staying at Bay Lake Tower, and I'm currently working with George at the Contemporary. I think right now, I'm planning to have it delivered to our two bedroom villa, as we don't currently have any Contemporary ADRs aside from the brunch; I figured after all that food, a cake would be the last thing we would want to see.

The cake and filling options were not as vast I thought, but the current selection we have of a marble cake with a white chocolate mousse seems decent enough. Right now we're dealing strictly via email, and it looks like we're doing an 8" cake. I also sent the following picture for inspiration, I mentioned that I really liked the top two tiers, but would really appreciate working in the characters, some palm trees and surfboards...I think it's reasonable, but am currently awaiting a reply.

lilo-n-stitch-w-logo.jpg

Has anyone had a Minnie Mouse inspired mini cake done? I am surprising my daughter with a trip for her 6th birthday and I am debating if I should get a cake. We are staying at Pop!

I wanted to share the cakes we got for my Mom’s 60th birthday during our trip last week.

White Chocolate Mickey ear cake at Sanaa lunch: The cake had mickey head confetti at the bottom. I did not request this but it was a very nice surprise! My mom is a chocolate person. I’m a vanilla person. My husband likes vanilla in ice cream but chocolate in cake. We all said the cake was great. They thought the icing was too sweet when eaten by itself. I thought everything was great. The confetti gave a really nice crunch to the cake. We were three and ate half the cake at the table. mickey ear cake 1.jpg mickey ear cake 2.jpg

Chocolate Mickey ear cake at Boma breakfast. My mom and husband really loved the favor of this cake. I liked this one the least out of our cakes because I never go for all chocolate desserts, so for me it was just too much chocolate. The server bought the cake out right before the check after we were done eating from the buffet. mickey ear cake 3.jpgmickey ear cake 4..jpg

Custom Ocean theme/Dolphin cake at Coral Reef Lunch: My mom was in on this cake (mickey ears cakes were a surprise) because I wanted to make sure I ordered what she wanted. She requested an ocean theme cake with dolphins. She wanted vanilla cake, chocolate mousse and chocolate butter cream. We decided on Coral Reef since the theming of the cake was perfect for the location. I placed a call into Epcot dining and left a voicemail with my name and number. Luckily later on in the day, someone from the cake department had emailed me to discuss the cake. I was so relieved because I did not have the time to go back and forth on the phone with this. In the initial email she listed the flavors and attached some sample cakes. We emailed a picture of a dolphin cake we found though google image search and asked for a price. It was just going to be the three of us again, but I did not attempt to get a smaller size than the offered 8-inch round. I was quoted $85. coral reef cake 3.jpgcoral reef cake 2.jpg coral reef cake 4.jpg

The cake was amazing!! Beautifully decorated and tasted so delicious!! We are serious cake eaters in my family, we ended finishing like 90% of the cake during lunch. We were on deluxe dining, but we did not want the included desserts also. Since I paid with my Disney visa for this cake (as well as the other two mickey cakes), I got 10% off.

I wanted to share the cakes we got for my Mom’s 60th birthday during our trip last week.

White Chocolate Mickey ear cake at Sanaa lunch: The cake had mickey head confetti at the bottom. I did not request this but it was a very nice surprise! My mom is a chocolate person. I’m a vanilla person. My husband likes vanilla in ice cream but chocolate in cake. We all said the cake was great. They thought the icing was too sweet when eaten by itself. I thought everything was great. The confetti gave a really nice crunch to the cake. We were three and ate half the cake at the table. View attachment 312183 View attachment 312184

Chocolate Mickey ear cake at Boma breakfast. My mom and husband really loved the favor of this cake. I liked this one the least out of our cakes because I never go for all chocolate desserts, so for me it was just too much chocolate. The server bought the cake out right before the check after we were done eating from the buffet. View attachment 312185View attachment 312186

Custom Ocean theme/Dolphin cake at Coral Reef Lunch: My mom was in on this cake (mickey ears cakes were a surprise) because I wanted to make sure I ordered what she wanted. She requested an ocean theme cake with dolphins. She wanted vanilla cake, chocolate mousse and chocolate butter cream. We decided on Coral Reef since the theming of the cake was perfect for the location. I placed a call into Epcot dining and left a voicemail with my name and number. Luckily later on in the day, someone from the cake department had emailed me to discuss the cake. I was so relieved because I did not have the time to go back and forth on the phone with this. In the initial email she listed the flavors and attached some sample cakes. We emailed a picture of a dolphin cake we found though google image search and asked for a price. It was just going to be the three of us again, but I did not attempt to get a smaller size than the offered 8-inch round. I was quoted $85. View attachment 312187View attachment 312188 View attachment 312189

The cake was amazing!! Beautifully decorated and tasted so delicious!! We are serious cake eaters in my family, we ended finishing like 90% of the cake during lunch. We were on deluxe dining, but we did not want the included desserts also. Since I paid with my Disney visa for this cake (as well as the other two mickey cakes), I got 10% off.
Wow! That is one of the nicest cakes I’ve seen for that price.

Ok so...I’m considering ordering a cake for our October trip. We will be celebrating our son’s birthday a few days early. I’ve read through the info here and I’m still feeling a little confused, so please excuse the potentially dumb questions!

We are staying at the Poly and I think we are going to do dinner at Kona Cafe one night. If I do this, I’d get a “fancy” cake. I call the Grand Floridian bakery, correct? Can I get a 6 inch fondant covered cake or does it have to be 8 inch? And do I get to pick how many layers it is? Is there a flavor list somewhere or would I discuss that with the person taking my order? Lastly, will they help me create a cake? I’m hopelessly un-creative and have no vision beyond knowing I would want it to be themed around my son’s favorite character, Mickey Mouse.

I just don’t want to call and sound like a complete idiot...I’d rather make a fool of myself on this board instead!

I call the Grand Floridian bakery, correct?

Yep!

Can I get a 6 inch fondant covered cake or does it have to be 8 inch?

They are probably going to make you get an 8-inch, but it's always worth asking.

And do I get to pick how many layers it is?

Usually the Grand Floridian's fancy, fondant-covered cakes have 4 layers, but if it is important to you not to have a flatter, 2-layer cake, be sure to specify to be safe.

Is there a flavor list somewhere or would I discuss that with the person taking my order?

There is a flavor list in Post #1 of this thread. However, the person at the GF is notorious for shutting down requests for anything other than basic chocolate, vanilla and fruit flavors—despite the fact that the GF pastry team makes those other flavors all the time for weddings. You can try gentle, polite persistence, but it really seems to depend on that person's whims.

Lastly, will they help me create a cake? I’m hopelessly un-creative and have no vision beyond knowing I would want it to be themed around my son’s favorite character, Mickey Mouse.

Yes, and that can often be the best way to go. Give them a theme and a budget and let the pastry team come up with something great!

SO reading that no custom cakes at MK is saddening news. We will be arriving on my 2nd daughters 7th birthday, but will also be celebrating my 1st daughters 8th birthday on our trip (they are 11.5 months apart). Will be doing Akershus for the 7 yo, and was planning on BOG for the 8 year old, but maybe we change to a different day at Epcot. Can we get anything we want? How does it work?

Would love an Anna cake for 7 yo, and an Elsa cake for 8 yo. But like not generic Frozen but specific to each character. Also, has anyone seen a Thunder Mountain cake? Would love that for DH and my anniversary, which unfortunately will be at CRT, but maybe we could have it delivered to the hotel room the night before? Staying at BCV, who do I contact for all of this?

SO reading that no custom cakes at MK is saddening news. We will be arriving on my 2nd daughters 7th birthday, but will also be celebrating my 1st daughters 8th birthday on our trip (they are 11.5 months apart). Will be doing Akershus for the 7 yo, and was planning on BOG for the 8 year old, but maybe we change to a different day at Epcot. Can we get anything we want? How does it work?

Would love an Anna cake for 7 yo, and an Elsa cake for 8 yo. But like not generic Frozen but specific to each character. Also, has anyone seen a Thunder Mountain cake? Would love that for DH and my anniversary, which unfortunately will be at CRT, but maybe we could have it delivered to the hotel room the night before? Staying at BCV, who do I contact for all of this?

Please read the beginning of this thread for ordering options and instructions. Lurkyloo has the info beautifully organized

Does anyone have any experience ordering one of the cakes available at Via Napoli? I'm considering ordering the Tiramisu cake.

I am interested in ordering a cake for my son’s birthday breakfast at Garden Grill. What would be my options (just the Mickey dome cakes or can we do a custom cake) and where would I need to contact? TIA!

White Chocolate Mickey ear cake at Sanaa lunch: The cake had mickey head confetti at the bottom. I did not request this but it was a very nice surprise! My mom is a chocolate person. I’m a vanilla person. My husband likes vanilla in ice cream but chocolate in cake. We all said the cake was great. They thought the icing was too sweet when eaten by itself. I thought everything was great. The confetti gave a really nice crunch to the cake. We were three and ate half the cake at the table. View attachment 312183 View attachment 312184

I can't really tell based on the pics, but was this more of a mousse or was it definitely a cake? My DD does not like cake too much, but she does love mousse and white chocolate, so I was thinking of getting this for her 16th birthday in November. And was it more of a white chocolate taste or a vanilla taste?

I can't really tell based on the pics, but was this more of a mousse or was it definitely a cake? My DD does not like cake too much, but she does love mousse and white chocolate, so I was thinking of getting this for her 16th birthday in November. And was it more of a white chocolate taste or a vanilla taste?
It was alternating cake and mousse layers, but the cake was very soft and moist. It was a white chocolate taste. I'm debating just ordering the cake again to be delivered to the room for next trip, it was so good I wish I had some now lol.

Maybe someone can help me with this. Looking to order a cake from the Grand Floridian team for dinner at Ohana on my wife's Birthday. Her favorite classic character is Daisy Duck, movie is Brave and ride It's a Small World. I've looked at every post since 2015 in the cake thread and haven't seen many options. Ideally it would be a 6" cake since it will be just the 3 of us but I'd be willing to move up to an 8" if that were my only option. I appreciate any help!

Maybe someone can help me with this. Looking to order a cake from the Grand Floridian team for dinner at Ohana on my wife's Birthday. Her favorite classic character is Daisy Duck, movie is Brave and ride It's a Small World. I've looked at every post since 2015 in the cake thread and haven't seen many options. Ideally it would be a 6" cake since it will be just the 3 of us but I'd be willing to move up to an 8" if that were my only option. I appreciate any help!
I would call them and let them know what she likes and like the teams creativity take it from there.
What popped into my mind, was a cake with Brave colors, small world boat on top with Daisy Duck riding in it.

I considered ordering one of these because my DH only likes white chocolate. But when I referred to it as "white chocolate" in an email to a CRT event planner, she responded that only the ears are white chocolate and the rest of the cake is vanilla.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!