OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

What days do Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party traditionally happen? We are thinking about arriving in the afternoon on Monday, Dec. 11th. If the party is that night, then I don't want to purchase a park ticket for each of us, but, will purchase party tickets instead.

What days do Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party traditionally happen? We are thinking about arriving in the afternoon on Monday, Dec. 11th. If the party is that night, then I don't want to purchase a park ticket for each of us, but, will purchase party tickets instead.
There are no Christmas parties in Disneyland.

Thanks for your reply. Does the parade run every day? What about the fireworks at night - are they nightly or just on the weekends. Another question, are the candy canes available every morning? I am in the process of crunching numbers and deciding what to do.

If it helps you feel better the difference between the first and second week in December is pretty noticeable to me. It's quite busy the second week and I'm glad we've never been there later then that as we felt mobbed too lol! There is some busier days the first week, but we find it a lot nicer!

That does make me feel better, especially knowing the Candlelight processional will be on the 3rd, our first day in the parks.

Maybe we'll run into you at rope drop on our last day again like 2013! :laughing: We'll be leaving on the 3rd (after a morning in the parks). We did October in 2015, and the week before Thanksgiving last year. Really looking forward to trying early December again!

Haha, wouldn't that be funny? you'd get to see the 3 year old that was just 10 weeks gestational age in my belly the last time!! We are praying he grows another inch and a half before our trip so he can ride the 40" rides. Anyway I don't yet know which park we will be starting in that day since I want to avoid DL that night due to the CP (if it was just us adults I would try to see it, but with 6 & 3 year olds, that just sounds miserable). As we get closer I need to decide whether to start in DCA and get WOC FP's that night, or do we want to start in DL (which I prefer to do on the 1st day of the trip) and then do a WOC dinner ADR. We have a big home project right now that has me wanting to pinch pennies a bit when it comes to food this next trip (and we decided to Splurge on the Breakfast with Santa at Catal our last day, the 9th).

I LOVE that week prior to Thanksgiving! If it didn't mean either a) missing the last 2 Saturdays of soccer or b) shortening our vacation to NOT miss soccer, I would 100% choose that week every year! We did October last year (right before Halloween) and plan to do it next year (coinciding with my daughter's bye week in soccer so we only miss 1 game OR only shorten our trip by 1 day), I'm loving everything I'm seeing with DCA being decorated this year for Halloween!

BTW I still love my 6D and my Tamron 24-70, but for vacations with littles I've stopped carrying the big lens and now just throw on my 40mm pancake that I bought from another photographer. Oh how I miss my 24-70 that week, but I just can't lug that thing around DL anymore with the kids...too heavy!

I'm finally letting myself get excited about this trip!

ok, done! We just got back on Saturday from a week at Disneyland, and I just booked us to go again December 9-12 for more. This time we're staying at the Tropicana, and I'm sure that after last week at the Grand Californian, it'll be a disappointment, but we are wanting to check out some of the Harbor Hotels and we're starting with this one.

ok, done! We just got back on Saturday from a week at Disneyland, and I just booked us to go again December 9-12 for more. This time we're staying at the Tropicana, and I'm sure that after last week at the Grand Californian, it'll be a disappointment, but we are wanting to check out some of the Harbor Hotels and we're starting with this one.
Everything on Harbor is a let down after GCH lol but we did BWPPI last year and while the hotel was not great for excitement (beds were hard, pool was terrible) the rooms had plenty of room, the walk was short and the price was right! Plus this was before the new security and the lines to get to security before rd was less then coming from dtd. It's not as good as on site but Harbor is a lot lot lot less and really has some positive things to be said for it!

Thanks for your reply. Does the parade run every day? What about the fireworks at night - are they nightly or just on the weekends. Another question, are the candy canes available every morning? I am in the process of crunching numbers and deciding what to do.

Easiest way to get an idea is to check the schedule closer to the date or to check last years schedule. Last years schedule is available at

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/park-hours.cfm?month=12&year=2016

I think the answers will be:
Yes the parade runs every day (and on peak days twice).
Fireworks will be every night.
Candy canes are only available on certain dates. Some dates do not have candy canes. Dates are yet to be released. Last years dates were November 25 and 30 and December 2, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, and 24 at Candy Palace at Disneyland and November 26 and 29 and December 3, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 20, and 25 at Trolley Treats at Disney California .

I hope that helps.

Haha, wouldn't that be funny? you'd get to see the 3 year old that was just 10 weeks gestational age in my belly the last time!! We are praying he grows another inch and a half before our trip so he can ride the 40" rides. Anyway I don't yet know which park we will be starting in that day since I want to avoid DL that night due to the CP (if it was just us adults I would try to see it, but with 6 & 3 year olds, that just sounds miserable). As we get closer I need to decide whether to start in DCA and get WOC FP's that night, or do we want to start in DL (which I prefer to do on the 1st day of the trip) and then do a WOC dinner ADR. We have a big home project right now that has me wanting to pinch pennies a bit when it comes to food this next trip (and we decided to Splurge on the Breakfast with Santa at Catal our last day, the 9th).

I LOVE that week prior to Thanksgiving! If it didn't mean either a) missing the last 2 Saturdays of soccer or b) shortening our vacation to NOT miss soccer, I would 100% choose that week every year! We did October last year (right before Halloween) and plan to do it next year (coinciding with my daughter's bye week in soccer so we only miss 1 game OR only shorten our trip by 1 day), I'm loving everything I'm seeing with DCA being decorated this year for Halloween!

BTW I still love my 6D and my Tamron 24-70, but for vacations with littles I've stopped carrying the big lens and now just throw on my 40mm pancake that I bought from another photographer. Oh how I miss my 24-70 that week, but I just can't lug that thing around DL anymore with the kids...too heavy!

I'm finally letting myself get excited about this trip!

Isn't that just amazing how fast time has gone, and that your "baby" is now hoping to do some big rides. :faint: I hope you have some awesome family memories

I have no clue at all how we plan to work around CP. We've been there that weekend a couple of times and lived to tell the tale. I think that first year we did the holiday tour on one of those days. It was worth it then because it still included 3 rides. This time we're considering Fantasmic with a dinner package one of those nights. I think we did that in 2014 and it worked out fine. Not sure yet what our plan is. I imagine we'll end up hopping back and forth on those days. We'll likely start at DL on Saturday because of the early entry, but try to spend most of that day in DCA. I'm really hoping to get a lot of quality DL time on Wednesday and Thursday leading up to that. I have the feeling we'll be making it all up as we go along!

I feel for you on the schedule issues. It's just as hard as they get older too. We have substantially shortened our trips with my daughter in high school now.

I really did like that week before Thanksgiving for crowds and weather, but my daughter and I both felt like we just weren't in the Christmas spirit enough yet to full enjoy the season.

The 6D with that Tamron lens is a killer combination. Spectacular photos, but it certainly is a beast to carry around. I sometimes go with the f/4 lens just for less weight. Lately I've been digging out my nifty fifty a lot more for a lighter wait combination. Ultimately I'm just not much of a prime girl though. I miss my zoom when it's not on. That said, the 50mm prime will be on the camera when I head out to my daughter's tennis match this afternoon. But then the court never moves on me. :laughing:

I guess I need to make some dining reservations in a couple weeks and I don't have a clue yet when I want to do what. I really have ditched my WDW roots!

Isn't that just amazing how fast time has gone, and that your "baby" is now hoping to do some big rides. :faint: I hope you have some awesome family memories

I have no clue at all how we plan to work around CP. We've been there that weekend a couple of times and lived to tell the tale. I think that first year we did the holiday tour on one of those days. It was worth it then because it still included 3 rides. This time we're considering Fantasmic with a dinner package one of those nights. I think we did that in 2014 and it worked out fine. Not sure yet what our plan is. I imagine we'll end up hopping back and forth on those days. We'll likely start at DL on Saturday because of the early entry, but try to spend most of that day in DCA. I'm really hoping to get a lot of quality DL time on Wednesday and Thursday leading up to that. I have the feeling we'll be making it all up as we go along!

I feel for you on the schedule issues. It's just as hard as they get older too. We have substantially shortened our trips with my daughter in high school now.

I really did like that week before Thanksgiving for crowds and weather, but my daughter and I both felt like we just weren't in the Christmas spirit enough yet to full enjoy the season.

The 6D with that Tamron lens is a killer combination. Spectacular photos, but it certainly is a beast to carry around. I sometimes go with the f/4 lens just for less weight. Lately I've been digging out my nifty fifty a lot more for a lighter wait combination. Ultimately I'm just not much of a prime girl though. I miss my zoom when it's not on. That said, the 50mm prime will be on the camera when I head out to my daughter's tennis match this afternoon. But then the court never moves on me. :laughing:

I guess I need to make some dining reservations in a couple weeks and I don't have a clue yet when I want to do what. I really have ditched my WDW roots!

We felt the trade off for low crowds and warm weather was worth the "not quite feeling in the holiday mood", but we sincerely HATE crowds so that is really our main focus.
After this year's AP's that we plan to get in December, I'm not sure when we'll be back after our AP's expire at the end of 2018. I'm legitimately scared of the crowds that Star Wars Land will bring and I'm thinking 2019 may be the first year we don't take a trip to DL...which, as you can see in my signature, will be a first since 2011 (when I had my oldest). We'll see. I know as my brother's kids got older he stopped taking them out of school and only went in the summer which sounds torturous to me :rotfl:

And I really hate prime lenses too, I only tolerate that 40mm bc it still has the f/2.8 and is so stinkin' light. I do have a 50mm 1.4 too that I may throw in my bag since it is overall a far superior lens than the 40, but heavier and bulkie.... we'll see how heavy my bag gets bogged down with otherstuff. Those are my only other lens options (besides my beastly telephoto lenses).

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but per Webmaster Mary Jo on last Sunday's DIS Disneyland Podcast, she is thinking the Candlelight Processional will be the 9th and 10th. She said they haven't done the show the first weekend of December when the first falls on a Friday. They don't advertise the Candlelight Processional because it's an "invitation only" event. So, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo..........the whole reason I made our trip from the 6th-13th was to avoid the Candlelight Procession.

I can understand your point. I am not a photographer and I actually like the look of the garland being "in the way" when taking a picture up or down main street. Either way, the parks are still my favorite place to be at Christmas!!!!
Totally agree. I love the charm the garlands add to my photos.

IMG_7609 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but per Webmaster Mary Jo on last Sunday's DIS Disneyland Podcast, she is thinking the Candlelight Processional will be the 9th and 10th. She said they haven't done the show the first weekend of December when the first falls on a Friday. They don't advertise the Candlelight Processional because it's an "invitation only" event. So, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
I missed this when you posted it Sunday. Thanks for the heads up on it. I selfishly hope it's the following week so we can avoid it but certainly sympathize with anyone having a last minute surprise. We carefully planned for a quiet week last year (week before Thanksgiving) then didn't find out until the last minute the parade was filming our first day there and there were special events at Small World 2 of our evenings in the park. Too many last minute things.

We felt the trade off for low crowds and warm weather was worth the "not quite feeling in the holiday mood", but we sincerely HATE crowds so that is really our main focus.
After this year's AP's that we plan to get in December, I'm not sure when we'll be back after our AP's expire at the end of 2018. I'm legitimately scared of the crowds that Star Wars Land will bring and I'm thinking 2019 may be the first year we don't take a trip to DL...which, as you can see in my signature, will be a first since 2011 (when I had my oldest). We'll see. I know as my brother's kids got older he stopped taking them out of school and only went in the summer which sounds torturous to me :rotfl:

And I really hate prime lenses too, I only tolerate that 40mm bc it still has the f/2.8 and is so stinkin' light. I do have a 50mm 1.4 too that I may throw in my bag since it is overall a far superior lens than the 40, but heavier and bulkie.... we'll see how heavy my bag gets bogged down with otherstuff. Those are my only other lens options (besides my beastly telephoto lenses).
I usually just take the beastly lenses along and remind myself my doctor says weight bearing exercise is good for my health. :p But then, I don't have small kids to schlep stuff for either.

I'm with you on being terrified of the crowds (and increased prices!) Star Wars Land will bring. I've been telling my daughter for the last several years that when SWL opens, I'm out. I actually want to turn tail and go back to WDW where I can at least skip the park with SWL if I want. So far she wants no part of that plan though. We'll have to play it by ear. Maybe I'll share some scary opening day photos with her or something. ;)

Dates are posted on the audition site for this year's Candlelight Processional (http://www.disneylandevents.com/candlelight/):
This holiday season, the Candlelight Ceremony will be performed under the stars on Main Street, U.S.A., on Saturday December 2nd and Sunday December 3rd, with two performances each night.

I missed this when you posted it Sunday. Thanks for the heads up on it. I selfishly hope it's the following week so we can avoid it but certainly sympathize with anyone having a last minute surprise. We carefully planned for a quiet week last year (week before Thanksgiving) then didn't find out until the last minute the parade was filming our first day there and there were special events at Small World 2 of our evenings in the park. Too many last minute things.
Sorry. I posted the audition call info on page 1. It will be the 1st weekend in December.
http://www.disneylandevents.com/candlelight/

I don't think they have non fresh candy canes for sale, do they? I mean, anything of this size. I think they make 120 a day and they sell out each day. I think that's the hype of it. I may try it this year. I'd like to see what the hype is all about :)
I'm going to check it out as well. I'm there so, might as well☺

I'm going to check it out as well. I'm there so, might as well☺

I thought I could get away with leaving hubby back at the hotel with the kids while I hit up the line early but I guess one wrist band = one candy cane. I thought it was limit TWO per person. I have two kids. If I'm not getting TWO candy canes, I ain't getting any candy canes...if you know what I mean.

I thought I could get away with leaving hubby back at the hotel with the kids while I hit up the line early but I guess one wrist band = one candy cane. I thought it was limit TWO per person. I have two kids. If I'm not getting TWO candy canes, I ain't getting any candy canes...if you know what I mean.
This is true.. You can't,buy for one kid and not the other. You would have some very unhappy kids at DL and you can't have that. We're not rope drop people either. When we went to WDW we had to rope drop and had a great experience so, I'm pretty sure DD21 will be willing to do this with me.:o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter