Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

Woo hoo! I got my DVC reservation for Saratoga Springs. Maybe I'll move someplace at the 7month mark, if rooms are available, but being right next to Disney Springs without park tickets sounds just about right.

Now... When do Southwest flights for April 2019 become available? :D

Booked our stay at Shades of Green for the weekend. We’ve stayed here before (including when it was The Disney Inn) and have always enjoyed our stays but we’ve never stayed here for a race.
That being said, I have a question for anyone that has stayed here for either this race or W&D. Are you able to walk to the start (10k and half) or do you have to use the buses?

Booked our stay at Shades of Green for the weekend. We’ve stayed here before (including when it was The Disney Inn) and have always enjoyed our stays but we’ve never stayed here for a race.
That being said, I have a question for anyone that has stayed here for either this race or W&D. Are you able to walk to the start (10k and half) or do you have to use the buses?

I believe they only allow Poly peeps to walk across to the race start because it actually has a stoplight and a designated pedestrian walkway.

I believe they only allow Poly peeps to walk across to the race start because it actually has a stoplight and a designated pedestrian walkway.

They also allow Grand Floridian people as well (or they did in 2017 for Star Wars)

I rather take the bus but that's me.

You would have to walk down from Shades to Poly and follow the approved path. There are/were folks who guided you where to go (and not go). We walked to both in April and there were people from Poly, Shades and GF walking with us. We’re also doing Shades in April!

DH and I are still arguing whether to walk or bus for the 10k/half. It adds around a half mile just getting to Poly. It will probably come down to getting coffee at Cap Cooks or not because I need my coffee before any race!

Stayed at SOG thanks to my friend. We walked over for the 10K start in the MK parking lot. At 2:45am there wasn't anybody out there telling us not to. We did cut thru Poly parking lots & avoid the corner where we saw cars & flashing lights though.

Thank you both for your answers. Not sure at this point if we’ll walk over or not just wanted to know if it was even an option.

I have mixed feelings about this but mostly I'm extremely excited. I'm not an uber Star Wars fan, but this one is my favorite race weekend. I also love the dark side, which is where my conflict comes in. Part of me really enjoyed the scenario of training to join the First Order, however it's time to change things up a little bit. I still have an awesome dark side mashup costume that I can hardly wait to debut... don't want to say it yet for fear of someone taking my idea, lol.

This will be on the heels of Ironman New Zealand for me, so will be interesting to see how my legs are doing!

I love that they're doing this! The minor tweaks each DS weekend have kept it fresh, IMO. My money's on a spinner medal for the Rival Challenge: Dark on one side, Light on the other. Turn to whichever side you ran for. ♥
You are a genius and should design all medals from now on.

Before the Dark Side race was introduced, the Star Wars race in CA was just Star Wars themed (versus Light Side). The original Rebel Challenge medal is a spinner with Darth on one side and Yoda on the other. It's one of my favorites!
I hope they do this again! See above (premature) comment about @PrincessV 's idea. Still a great idea. I've done multiple Marathon weekends and want to do something different next year.

We decimated our DVC points for a huge family holiday trip this year, so we just booked the Swolphin for these dates. Didn't really plan to repeat after I got the Kessel Run this year (finally) but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and the earlier dates make it easier. Plus, the 10K and Half are easily my favorite US Disney race courses. See you all there for the challenge!

So Star Wars Celebration 2019 was just announced for Chicago the week after Star Wars Half.... So that means I probably won't be doing this race now...

Doesn’t this seem like odd scheduling??
I am sure LucasFilm and runDisney don't talk all that much in terms of scheduling. Star Wars Celebration is way bigger than the Star Wars half weekend. They also have to go with what they can get for convention space. I am sort of giddy right now that it will be in Chicago but also sad that means no Star Wars half for another year.

Doesn’t this seem like odd scheduling??
They did something a bit similar in 2017 except Celebration was the week before the race. Presumably, they believe there's not much overlap between the two. From what I heard, most of the photo ops at Celebration were not available at race weekend. I never did see that K-2SO photo op I heard about from Celebration at race weekend.

So Star Wars Celebration 2019 was just announced for Chicago the week after Star Wars Half.... So that means I probably won't be doing this race now...
Yea my friend who I did this with is out cause of this... I may or may not end up doing it anyway just cause the rivals concept sounds interesting
They did something a bit similar in 2017 except Celebration was the week before the race. .
Celebration was also in Orlando that year and there was also a galactic nights that happened at Hollywood Studios sandwiched in between

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!