Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

As sad as this makes me to say because I'm a Tink legacy runner and I just adore Tinkerbell in general; I also think Tink is done with and they will move LS to May. I think this because they already have people's money for LS and no one has yet registered for Tink. It's easier to cancel a race people haven't paid for and postposne a race people have registered for. Besides, people have been asking to move LS to May and Tink back to Jan ever since they moved Tink to Mother's Day. Now rD has an excuse to move LS and just cancel Tink.....I'm going to cry

But January is a much more practical time to run a race in SoCal than May. The weather is so much better. And the Dark Side race is in late April so would people be willing to travel across country that quickly to do the Challenge? Just my 2 cents.

It's all just rumors and conjectures at this point. I keep checking daily for news. I know I'm not the only one.

Try have to say something.
I think they should say more too.

I'm upset by this whole situation, as I've done all the January WDWMW + Tink/SWLS C2Cs. I'm not saying that I disagree with everyone, because I def want rD to say something too.

However, what are they going to say? What can they say?

"The race is happening as planned" -Not confirmed so they cannot state this.
"The race is not happening anymore" -Not confirmed so they cannot state this.
"There are issues that we're trying to work out" -This tells us nothing new, and therefore pointless to say until they can get to the point they can state one of the first two.

Since 2018 SWLS has an announced date and people have already registered for SWLS, you can only assume that it is still happening until otherwise specified.
Since 2018 Tink has NOT been announced and they didn't offer early finisher registration, you can assume that it is NOT happening until otherwise specified.

As the PP said, It's all just rumors and conjectures at this point.

Be patient everyone! But, if you need to move on and plan something else for the weekend, then go for it! It's runDisney's loss as they lost your money.

I'm upset by this whole situation, as I've done all the January WDWMW + Tink/SWLS C2Cs. I'm not saying that I disagree with everyone, because I def want rD to say something too.

However, what are they going to say? What can they say?

"The race is happening as planned" -Not confirmed so they cannot state this.
"The race is not happening anymore" -Not confirmed so they cannot state this.
"There are issues that we're trying to work out" -This tells us nothing new, and therefore pointless to say until they can get to the point they can state one of the first two.

Since 2018 SWLS has an announced date and people have already registered for SWLS, you can only assume that it is still happening until otherwise specified.
Since 2018 Tink has NOT been announced and they didn't offer early finisher registration, you can assume that it is NOT happening until otherwise specified.

As the PP said, It's all just rumors and conjectures at this point.

Be patient everyone! But, if you need to move on and plan something else for the weekend, then go for it! It's runDisney's loss as they lost your money.

This was basically my thought process as well...until we hit what should have been the start date for the Galloway training plans. And now I think they no longer get to have the luxury of simply not knowing yet. At this point many of us should begin our training. Its time for runDisney to make a call. As my Dad would say...sh*t or get off the pot. Make a decision, announce it and let folks get on with their running plans. Quit stringing everyone along with a lack of decision making/information.

Since 2018 Tink has NOT been announced and they didn't offer early finisher registration,

Technically dates for Tink 2018 (May 10, 2018-May 13, 2018) were announced on November 22, 2016 (with May dates and a June registration date... plus I know I had an AP early reg date shown to me as well in my AP information) when they released the second half of 2017's schedule along with the first half of 2018's. I never get the finisher link to register for races I've run post race so my answer about not getting a post race link has little value, but I trust what others have said about not receiving one thus one wasn't released for Tink like it was with LS. That is true and that is something still working in LS's favor for the race weekend still to go forwards as planned that there were some registrations that happened.

I would take even a "there's work still going on behind the scenes" announcement even though it offers no new information. It's like when you're on hold on the phone and they take time to remind you that you are still connected. Right now I feel like the call is still "connected", but the music stopped and for all I know, I'm not even actually connected anymore.

Following along, mostly for Tink but also because I run Light Side every other year and I want to know it's fate as well. I think it's super ****ty of rD to keep everyone hanging on but I admit a statement with nothing else but no new news will just create more frustration.

Fingers crossed we get some news soon, now that we are under 4 months until the LS date. And I am bummed for those that were planning Kessel in 2018, it's a great challenge and I would be doing it again in 2019 if they keep it since I am doing my best to keep my Dark Side legacy.

I don't know, I think they could make an announcement that doesn't resort to either lying or empty rhetoric. There really are three possibilities at this point: it's cancelled, it's moved to another part of the year, or they're trying to make the January dates work. If it's cancelled, there is no reason not to say so. If it's moved or they're still earnestly trying to put it together, they can say that while they cannot confirm or guarantee anything at the moment, they are hard at work trying to make something happen. I think either of those is preferable to the damage their reputation is taking right now with the silence.

But January is a much more practical time to run a race in SoCal than May. The weather is so much better. And the Dark Side race is in late April so would people be willing to travel across country that quickly to do the Challenge? Just my 2 cents.

It's all just rumors and conjectures at this point. I keep checking daily for news. I know I'm not the only one.

Remember Tink used to be mid to end of January, right after the WDW marathon weekend and just a few weeks before the princess.... so I could see if they have the DS in April and moved the LS to may being it would be a few week difference. While I agree about the practical time to run a race in LA in May, they have had the Tink the past few years in May and while numbers have been low, people have participated.
I think it would be great if they did the WDW and DL theme, the LS and DS theme, and then a Princess and Villian (though personally I love tink) theme to give the option for 3 in each location all based around like-theme.

I've done many DL half marathons; I'm a legacy runner for Tink, this was by the worst experience. I have also done many other half marathons. This was by far my worst experience.

its interesting to hear from a legacy tink runner that it was the worst. Being my first tink and running all three races (and the kids race with my littles), the only one I truly had issue with was the kids race and it was bc the staff didnt know what was going on and the mix of runners, parents, and then those trying to get to the park made the area very busy.
The security issue, I noticed at the half but my bigger annoyance was the fact that those that were in early (I got through security at ease as I was expecting congestion so I showed up at 4:15) were then sitting in the downtown area for significant time before being shuffled as a group to then wait again. Many people who were there early werent even allowed and/or didnt know where to go to bag check so once they opened the area for us to walk toward the corral, it was almost like groups without bags go this way, groups with bags must go in the opposite direction to check bags and then come back....

That said, I will say I loved Tink this year (people can put their pitch forks and torches down for me saying that). I rarely run west coast and the east coast ones are getting sooo big that unless in corral A-C, it gets people jammed and to that. I know people in the WDW 10k who started in a later corral that started as I hit mile 4. The princess one was a hot mess with the traffic to get there (I saw people ditching their cars at gas stations and walking along side the road) and then you get there, go through security and have the almost mile hike to get there. Luckily for people there were almost 15 or 20 corrals for those that were stuck to get into a later corral (which I had to do).

The moral is, there are issues at all races whether Disney, RnR, or local races. That said, the communication as to why they are postponing or not opening races is difficult and frustrating as people who do love rundisney events AND love running in races in general, are almost in a holding position while decisions are made....

I don't know, I think they could make an announcement that doesn't resort to either lying or empty rhetoric. There really are three possibilities at this point: it's cancelled, it's moved to another part of the year, or they're trying to make the January dates work. If it's cancelled, there is no reason not to say so. If it's moved or they're still earnestly trying to put it together, they can say that while they cannot confirm or guarantee anything at the moment, they are hard at work trying to make something happen. I think either of those is preferable to the damage their reputation is taking right now with the silence.

They could also add that they expect to have more information by date X. Self-imposed deadlines are par for the course in organizing races. It would help people with planning.

The fact that some people have registered is no guarantee that the race will happen. I was registered for the WDW half in January and they cancelled that at the last minute. They gave people either Disney credit or you could apply your registration fee to another race. In fact, I said I would use mine for this race, and now that is up in the air.

If they were to get ride of the half marathon I hope they move the 5k to Saturday so my kids can run in it. If the race happens as announced, I know my kids will be disappointed they couldn't run. (Cost is the major deterrent to them running the 10k-:scared1:)

Whhaaaaatttt?! Just recieved an email from runDisney and....... NO mention of any West Coast races for next year. The only race they mentioned was the marathon. I'm now even more convinced it ain't happening (yes, I'm slow to convince and an optimist.)

Whhaaaaatttt?! Just recieved an email from runDisney and....... NO mention of any West Coast races for next year. The only race they mentioned was the marathon. I'm now even more convinced it ain't happening (yes, I'm slow to convince and an optimist.)

When I received a notification that I had an email from runDisney this morning I thought "FINALLY" .....but alas, no mention of LS.

I'm thinking there will be no announcement. They will simply release the 2018-19 events with or without Disneyland races and say nothing, except perhaps an email to those who have already reg for SWLS.

I hope they at least keep one Disneyland race for us west coasters, and thus keeping coast to coast alive.

I literally don't understand how RD gets away with such terrible customer service. Good lord, they truly suck when it comes to communication.
We keep signing up for races, don't we? I agree that they suck at communication and have for awhile now, but until there's some sort of consequence for it (i.e. Them losing money from people deciding that enough is enough), they don't really have any motivation to step up and make things better.
I'm thinking there will be no announcement. They will simply release the 2018-19 events with or without Disneyland races and say nothing, except perhaps an email to those who have already reg for SWLS.
I'm starting to think the same thing. If they'd known about this earlier, like before this year's DL races had happened, I think they would have announced/marketed that each were the last one (like they did with EE Challenge) and that would be it. I'm wondering if this will be more like ToT where, at this point, it's just not on the schedule anymore and they barely speak of it again except for an occasional TBT post on Instagram or whatever.

When they "suspended" (or whatever) ToT, they emailed those that had signed up and offered them a chance to defer their entry to another upcoming half. No mention of a possible refund/Disney gift card. If Light Side doesn't happen, I wonder if they actually WILL NOT do refunds and will offer transfers instead. This is what they sent to someone who had registered for ToT before Disney decided that race wasn't happening:
Greetings from runDisney!
We are contacting you because you deferred your registration from the 2014 Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 10-Miler Weekend will not be returning in 2015. We wish to notify you of your alternate options. You will be receiving a guaranteed entry to a single runDisney event. Please see the runDisney Deferral Policy here for more details. You are eligible to register for your choice ...of the following runDisney events:
· 2015 Disneyland® 10K
· 2015 Disneyland® Half Marathon
· 2015 Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
· 2015 Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon
· 2016 Walt Disney World® 10K
· 2016 Walt Disney World® Half Marathon
· 2016 Walt Disney World® Marathon
· 2016 Star Wars 10K
· 2016 Star Wars Half Marathon
· 2016 Disney Enchanted 10K
· 2016 Disney Princess Half Marathon
· 2016 Tinker Bell 10K
· 2016 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

We keep signing up for races, don't we? I agree that they suck at communication and have for awhile now, but until there's some sort of consequence for it (i.e. Them losing money from people deciding that enough is enough), they don't really have any motivation to step up and make things better.

I'm starting to think the same thing. If they'd known about this earlier, like before this year's DL races had happened, I think they would have announced/marketed that each were the last one (like they did with EE Challenge) and that would be it. I'm wondering if this will be more like ToT where, at this point, it's just not on the schedule anymore and they barely speak of it again except for an occasional TBT post on Instagram or whatever.

When they "suspended" (or whatever) ToT, they emailed those that had signed up and offered them a chance to defer their entry to another upcoming half. No mention of a possible refund/Disney gift card. If Light Side doesn't happen, I wonder if they actually WILL NOT do refunds and will offer transfers instead. This is what they sent to someone who had registered for ToT before Disney decided that race wasn't happening:

But if they aren't having any more DL races, I think they must give refunds (or I will certainly be contacting my cc company to do battle on my behalf), because deferring to a WDW race is definitely not apples to apples and something that I would definitely NOT be interested in doing.

But if they aren't having any more DL races, I think they must give refunds (or I will certainly be contacting my cc company to do battle on my behalf), because deferring to a WDW race is definitely not apples to apples and something that I would definitely NOT be interested in doing.
I'd love for everyone to get refunds if the races don't happen (and we still don't know for sure that they won't yet). However, 1.) that's not what they did in the past (see above ToT email as an example), and 2.) it says right on their webpage that entries are non-refundable, and that's something that participants agree to when registering.

If they don't have the races, I really hope all of you get your money back - no question that that would be the right thing to do, and it would suck to have to go to your CC to dispute the charge, so I hope it doesn't come to that! More than that though, I hope runDisney/Anaheim/whoever gets their s*** together and somehow holds the races...and that they give you guys some answers soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!