Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

It's frustrating to keep everyone hanging, but it is downright shameful to have no news for legacy runners who have already registered with a significant amount of money. I really hope you are able to get a refund with little to no trouble on your end. Fingers crossed!

I agree, it must be super frustrating for those who have already registered and put out that kind of money! It's one thing to get a refund, but there may be many missed opportunities for other events because that money is tied up.

I'm following with interest because Light Side and Tink are the only west coast race events we haven't done yet.
I was hoping for Pink C2C this year with Princess and Tink, and Kessel for the following year.

I thought they'd say something by yesterday too, so people would have time to start the Galloway plans (which I realize weren't updated, but they would be starting right around now). So sorry you guys don't have answers yet. :(
I thought the same thing; we would hear by yesterday due to people that follow the Galloway training plan that Disney promotes. It is completely shameful they haven't said anything to let runners know what is happening. And they know it doesn't matter because Disney will have a "magical" reputation regardless.

Something similar happened a couple of years ago with the Nike Women's Marathon that used be held in San Francisco. First they changed it to hold different races in cities around the world; then came news it wouldn't be held in San Francisco anymore; then they were going to have races and Nike Training Club events; then registration never opened for the supposed LA race; then the specific Facebook page for that event (NWM) disappeared; then I heard through the grapevine it was cancelled. I never did find out the exact reason. Just a bunch of rumors. It was super disappointing, but it didn't hurt Nike's rep at all; in fact I still wear Nikes :) I treasure those Tiffany necklaces I received. This feels an awful like that situation though.....

Nothing good can come from them telling us what the exact problem is. That only directs our complaints to specific outside companies or agencies which is never a good thing. It's bad business practice for (run)Disney to point the finger at someone else.

"Hey everyone! The hold up is not our fault! It's the (insert Anaheim PD, Temp Agencies, Active.com or other company here)! Go complain to them because they're preventing us from opening up the races!"

They're definitely losing money in this situation, but as I've stated before it's best for them to keep their mouths shut. The silence is better than to announce something they'll regret.

Nothing good can come from them telling us what the exact problem is. That only directs our complaints to specific outside companies or agencies which is never a good thing. It's bad business practice for (run)Disney to point the finger at someone else.

"Hey everyone! The hold up is not our fault! It's the (insert Anaheim PD, Temp Agencies, Active.com or other company here)! Go complain to them because they're preventing us from opening up the races!"

They're definitely losing money in this situation, but as I've stated before it's best for them to keep their mouths shut. The silence is better than to announce something they'll regret.
I agree with you...I was saying that the longer this drags out, the less hopeful I become that these races will take place.

So this would be my guess on what may happen... its only my guess and i don't have any inside information. 1 - I think Star Wars will happen next year; 2 - i think tink is gone; 3 - i think star wars will be moved to later Date than january; 4 - star wars may not have a half to it

The only reason i think this is the case is that star wars continues to say

UPDATE: Registration for the 2018 Star Wars™ Half Marathon at Disneyland®Resort has been temporarily postponed and will open at a later date. Updated information regarding early and general registration dates to come.

Meanwhile, Tink says

Stay tuned for registration and event information for the 2018 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend.

Two very different statements. Star wars essentially acknowledges registration will reopen... it will happen... when is a different story. However, tink makes no mention of registration opening. Only that more information, including a possible cancellation announcement, will follow.

If tink were planned, then i would think they would use the same language as star wars. Plus, that may be the reason they totally messed up for tink this year... why make it great if it won't be around next year.

Just my guess..

Last edited:
UPDATE: Registration for the 2018 Star Wars™ Half Marathon at Disneyland®Resort has been temporarily postponed and will open at a later date. Updated information regarding early and general registration dates to come.

Meanwhile, Tink says

Stay tuned for registration and event information for the 2018 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend.

I may be wrong (and your theory does make some sense), but I always kinda thought that they announced that Star Wars registration was postponed because a date had initially been announced for registration (I want to say March 14th, but I may be wrong). Tink hasn't had a registration date announced, so there was no registration to postpone.

I think Light Side is a no go for me because of life stuff, but as a runDisney enthusiast, I just want to know what's going on. I don't need specific reasons. "Logistical changes" would be a perfectly valid answer to me (I don't care if those changes are active, Anaheim PD, or just someone at runDisney deciding that they're too lazy to do a DL race). I just really hate the uncertainty.

While I agree with not pointing the finger, I'm with SarahDisney, I'd like to hear even a vague update - if only to acknowledge that something is still happening in the background. Not that it really matters since I signed up for another Ironman instead and am officially out for LS '18, but it's bad PR. I'm annoyed enough that I wish I could refund my entry for Avengers this year, which I'm only doing as I happen to be visiting family in LA at the time. The CA race experience thus far is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth.

So this would be my guess on what may happen... its only my guess and i don't have any inside information. 1 - I think Star Wars will happen next year; 2 - i think tink is gone; 3 - i think star wars will be moved to later Date than january; 4 - star wars may not have a half to it

The only reason i think this is the case is that star wars continues to say

Meanwhile, Tink says

Two very different statements. Star wars essentially acknowledges registration will reopen... it will happen... when is a different story. However, tink makes no mention of registration opening. Only that more information, including a possible cancellation announcement, will follow.

If tink were planned, then i would think they would use the same language as star wars. Plus, that may be the reason they totally messed up for tink this year... why make it great if it won't be around next year.

Just my guess..
Because they briefly opened registration, I think they HAVE to leave that wording on the Light Side website until they decide what is going on with that weekend. If they take it down people will freak and assume it's canceled, and if that is the route they decide to go (and I really hope it isn't!), I don't think they will announce it or change the website until they are 100% sure.

Their decision to move the race registrations up (11 months ahead of time or whatever craziness) is really coming back to bite them - if they'd left it as-is, they wouldn't have had people's money tied up for so long with so much uncertainty. Ultimately it's mostly hurting those who were able to sign up that first day it was open. :(

I'm going to assume Tink didn't have the thank you discounted finisher registration like SWLS did. Someone tell me if I'm wrong though.

I sent another email today, for all the good it will do. :badpc:

Mine too. I'm requesting my refund and seeing what they say. I have too many expenses now with Irma so there won't be money for a Disneyland trip anyway.

Keep us posted on what they say, I have $400+ sitting with them for the Light Side registrations. I've posted a couple times on the Run Disney FB page and tweeted, but they don't respond to anything. If you guys have a more positive response from email, I will give that try. The holding the money for so long without ANY word is ridiculous.

I'm going to assume Tink didn't have the thank you discounted finisher registration like SWLS did. Someone tell me if I'm wrong though.

You are correct. Tink didn't have the discounted finisher registration.

As sad as this makes me to say because I'm a Tink legacy runner and I just adore Tinkerbell in general; I also think Tink is done with and they will move LS to May. I think this because they already have people's money for LS and no one has yet registered for Tink. It's easier to cancel a race people haven't paid for and postposne a race people have registered for. Besides, people have been asking to move LS to May and Tink back to Jan ever since they moved Tink to Mother's Day. Now rD has an excuse to move LS and just cancel Tink.....I'm going to cry

I've joined the group that is forgetting star wars and moving to the Carlsbad/Legoland Weekend. They are both the same weekend and in Southern California. Honestly, rundisney is just not worth the wait and uncertainty.

For Carlsbad, you get the half marathon on sunday.

For kids, you get a one mile run on saturday that is basically in the park... On top of the medal, you get a free admission ticket for the kid and 50% off admission for an adult with the kids race entry.

Just cannot pass up the value compared to rundisney. So... i'll see the bunch of the other families at legoland. I've jumped on the bandwagon.

Last edited:
I've joined the group that is forgetting star wars and moving to the Carlsbad/Legoland Weekend. They are both the same weekend and in Southern California. Honestly, rundisney is just not worth the wait and uncertainty.

Bolded the text for emphasis - that's really how I'm starting to feel. The pressures for POT, the stress of not moving corrals with significant gains in time, and now being in limbo for so long.... I'm thinking of jumping ship and running Rock n Roll Arizona in my best Star Wars themed Raw Threads tank :)

Try have to say something. They already registered people over the race weekend and after! They are holding onto peoples' money.

I think they should say more too. Disney has the highest race fees of any race I have seen (by a long shot). I don't think it comes close to the cost of having characters posing for pictures, so the higher cost should come with better customer service. Six months of silence on the delay is pretty poor customer service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts