Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

Dis_Yoda

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
2017's Race Weekend is over and now its time to start planning 2018!

Where: Disneyland Resort
When: January 11th to 14th, 2018

Early Registration Information
Early Registration is for AP and DVC Members!

Early Registration Starts: Thursday, March 9, 2017 at noon Eastern Time / 9:00 AM Pacific Time
Early Registration Ends: Monday, March 13, 2017 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time / 5:00 PM Pacific Time

More Information when Run Disney updates their site!

Last edited:
Yay! I'm in!

I have in my calendar that registration is March 14th. I'm guessing AP reg is the week before that? I'll definitely sign DS up for his kids race when reg opens. I'm guessing I should get DD signed up for the 10k as well. As for me and the Rebel Challenge I'm hoping I can put it off a few months. What do you guys think?

This year's 10K was my first RunDisney Event (if you don't count the Castaway Cay 5K). It will not be my last. Already planning a return for this race next year. Thinking it will still just be the 10K since it's really hard to train here in the Winter for a longer run.

Yay! I'm in!

I have in my calendar that registration is March 14th. I'm guessing AP reg is the week before that? I'll definitely sign DS up for his kids race when reg opens. I'm guessing I should get DD signed up for the 10k as well. As for me and the Rebel Challenge I'm hoping I can put it off a few months. What do you guys think?

Looking at the DVC Website....

Star Wars™ Half Marathon – The Light Side

Event Dates: January 11–14, 2018

Early Registration Starts: Thursday, March 9, 2017 at noon Eastern Time / 9:00 AM Pacific Time

Early Registration Ends: Monday, March 13, 2017 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time / 5:00 PM Pacific Time

This year's 10K was my first RunDisney Event (if you don't count the Castaway Cay 5K). It will not be my last. Already planning a return for this race next year. Thinking it will still just be the 10K since it's really hard to train here in the Winter for a longer run.

Congrats on your first RunDisney 10K! Glad you are returning next year :) I love the 10K courses in Disneyland!

Congrats on your first RunDisney 10K! Glad you are returning next year :) I love the 10K courses in Disneyland!

Thanks! It was my first ever 10k. I never thought I'd be doing it. But running through the parks was magical. I had a grin on my face the whole time.

Wow, registration in March? Wasn't it in June last year?

It was. RunDisney has moved registrations really forward this year! Wine and Dine Registration happened for DVC/AP members in the midst of opening Star Wars Light Side Expo Madness for me! I cried (not really) when I thought about how much money I spent that day between the race registration, the expo and New Balance. I'm sure people have spent less on their entire WDW vacations than I did in a total of 3 hours of RunDisney...

DH blocked the time off for next year, so we're in. Definitely aiming for the half this time. Debating whether to do the challenge...

Does the challenge usually sell out? I think the half doesn't, right? Also, if you sign up initially for the half, can you later upgrade to the challenge if it's still available?

DH blocked the time off for next year, so we're in. Definitely aiming for the half this time. Debating whether to do the challenge...

Does the challenge usually sell out? I think the half doesn't, right? Also, if you sign up initially for the half, can you later upgrade to the challenge if it's still available?

Yay! Glad you guys are coming back next year!

The challenge for SW has always sold out so far. The first year it sold out the first day (I think). I dont remember how long it took the other 2 years. I'm hoping that with registration being earlier this year that it will sell out later. I have no idea if that will actually be the case or not. If you do register for the half you can later upgrade to the challenge if its still open.

I like doing the challenge but I've done a number of halfs now so I know I can handle the mileage and what to expect of my body/how I'll feel. If your worried about it just remember that you don't have to go all out for the 10k. One year I walked the entire thing. Most years I take it easy and enjoy it. Its always a slow 10k for me. The half is slower than normal the next day too but I do try harder for that one and give it what I have left.

I am extremely tempted to do the half marathon or 10K, it would be my first ever RunDisney and I've always wanted to do one. My only concern is if I can wing it with college (I'm only allowed to miss so many days), timing it with travel from Vancouver.

How quickly do people think either race will fill up? I might have questionable internet access around March 14th...

The Inaugural Rebel Challenge sold out in 25 minutes. The next two took months to sell out, but they did eventually. For 2017, my sister wanted to register for the challenge, but it had sold out by October when she signed up for the 1/2.

Oddly enough, my last two 1/2s have been PR races the day after the 10K. I know you should take the 10K slowly, so the corral congestion of the 10K early on in the course really helps solve that problem. A 20 minute first mile because the course is too crowded to actually move faster makes taking it slow easy.

While it's not official, I'm highly likely to be in for the Rebel Challenge again. The 10K is such a different experience from the 1/2 that I find it worth doing. I have also learned that running the 10K first helps me work through pre 1/2 jitters before I even run the 1/2.

Plus, I really like how the 10K medal is completely different every year. Because of the in universe meaning of the 1/2 medal, I don't think they should change it that much from year to year. A spinner is fine like they did this year. The Star Wars geek in me also wants them to go back to the character inspired ribbon they used for the medals in 2015 and 2016.

The "Thank you for participating" in the Light Side provided a link for early registration for the 2018 race.

My husband and I are officially registered for Rebel Challenge #4 (and his jacket and the ornament bundle!). $850 gone! RunDisney has gotten a lot of money from me this month...

The "Thank you for participating" in the Light Side provided a link for early registration for the 2018 race.

My husband and I are officially registered for Rebel Challenge #4 (and his jacket and the ornament bundle!). $850 gone! RunDisney has gotten a lot of money from me this month...

Ugh. I can't decide if I want to give them my money yet or wait til March!

Thanks for starting this thread! My husband is planning on doing this (his first Disney race) and I am tasked with all of the planning of the week :). Orignially, we were going for him to do the Avengers Weekend, so I have already done a lot of planning, but he really had his heart set on Star Wars race. I'm sure that I will have lots of question!

First one: Which hotel is everyone eyeing for the race? I'm flipping between HOJO, somewhere like the Springhill Suites or doing a split stay. I want to be able to be close to the race start for him, but also withing some sort of budget.

Hoping for a good rate or code for DL Hotel, but I'm staying at Springhill Suites (convention center) for Tink in May and will see how convenient that is to the corrals. My husband has a zillion Marriott points, so if that works out, it would be great -- more $$ to spend at the expo!

Woohoo - DH and I signed up for our first Half Marathon last night. In addition to the race fees, runDisney got almost $100 more money for merchandise. Yikes! Most of the stuff was only available in bundles.

We'll most likely stay at the DLH again. Worked out great for us last month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!