Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Here are the finishing numbers for the last 4 race weekends:

SWH - 15089

Correction - 15,090

I went to look up my "official" time and my name isn't in the First Order Challenge results. So I went to the Half results page and my bib number doesn't have any info. They have my time for the 10K. So I went back and looked at my emails (I signed up for the tracking) and my last update was the 15K mat.

I *do* have pictures at the finish, though, but I'm still sort of bummed that I'm not in the "official" results. I hope they don't confiscate my medals!!!

2 folks signed up for the challenge didn't get to complete Sunday, I ended up being taken via EMS to Dr Phillips hospital around 7:00 Saturday night. If anyone saw paramedics near Saratoga Saturday, that was me. Felt great after the 10K and did normal after race activities Saturday. Around 6:00, my left side started to hurt, by 7 it was unbearable. My wife started driving me to the ER but got lost onsite, flagged security, and called EMS. My heart rate dropped into the 30s making the ER run urgent. The final result was the run knocked a kidney stone that I did not know I had into the ureter and it lodged, causing the pain. The heart rate drop was due to the pain and resumed to normal once morphine was given. I was going to at least try to walk part of the half and voluntarily get swept into an early parade bus, the ER doc said no way. Sad that things happened, but our son was going to run his first ever half with me. We did not return until 1:00 AM but he was not going to run without me, and on less than 2 hours of sleep, when he's never done it before.

Disney treated us well. We were in DVC and housekeeping gave us extra pillows and did an unscheduled cleaning of the room. Disney provided a full lunch and delivered it to our room at no charge. They offered transportation for our son/fiance to return to the room early from the ER if they wanted. In addition, they contacted RunDisney and we received our medals delivered to the room. We are going to do a virtual run to "earn" the medals.

As for me, the CT scan showed multiple stones, only 1 had dislodged. It was a long flight home back to KY on Monday and saw the doc today. The stone passed and it's been sent for evaluation. I'll know in 2 weeks what the next steps are, but the docs said no running for awhile. Just another obstacle to overcome. Time to rest and then prepare for Marathon Weekend 2019.

2 folks signed up for the challenge didn't get to complete Sunday, I ended up being taken via EMS to Dr Phillips hospital around 7:00 Saturday night. If anyone saw paramedics near Saratoga Saturday, that was me. Felt great after the 10K and did normal after race activities Saturday. Around 6:00, my left side started to hurt, by 7 it was unbearable. My wife started driving me to the ER but got lost onsite, flagged security, and called EMS. My heart rate dropped into the 30s making the ER run urgent. The final result was the run knocked a kidney stone that I did not know I had into the ureter and it lodged, causing the pain. The heart rate drop was due to the pain and resumed to normal once morphine was given. I was going to at least try to walk part of the half and voluntarily get swept into an early parade bus, the ER doc said no way. Sad that things happened, but our son was going to run his first ever half with me. We did not return until 1:00 AM but he was not going to run without me, and on less than 2 hours of sleep, when he's never done it before.

Disney treated us well. We were in DVC and housekeeping gave us extra pillows and did an unscheduled cleaning of the room. Disney provided a full lunch and delivered it to our room at no charge. They offered transportation for our son/fiance to return to the room early from the ER if they wanted. In addition, they contacted RunDisney and we received our medals delivered to the room. We are going to do a virtual run to "earn" the medals.

As for me, the CT scan showed multiple stones, only 1 had dislodged. It was a long flight home back to KY on Monday and saw the doc today. The stone passed and it's been sent for evaluation. I'll know in 2 weeks what the next steps are, but the docs said no running for awhile. Just another obstacle to overcome. Time to rest and then prepare for Marathon Weekend 2019.

Just sending well wishes and hoping that you fully recover soon! Total bummer but I’m pleased to hear how helpful Disney did!

Oh my goodness!! I'm so sorry you went through that! Here's hoping for a full recovery.

Wow! Hope you recover quickly.

Glad you were able to be taken to the ER so quickly and the issue was able to be determined.

This is nice Disney took care of you afterwards!

Sorry to hear things went like this for you... but also inspired that you still wanted to try the half despite everything! Good luck at Marathon Weekend

@kydisneyfans Glad to hear you're on the mend and it wasn't worse. Sorry about missing the half with your son, but I'm glad you were given your medals and can run your virtual half later. Hope you're back on your feet in no time!

When I started reading your post, my first thought was “heart problem” — while this was certainly no fun (!!!), I am glad it wasn’t even worse.

Very nice to hear that Disney treated you so well.

Speedy recovery to you!!!

I did the 10K (only my 2nd one) & it was my 1st ever Disney run experience. I lived! I ran more than I anticipated (probably a good 5 miles) & finished in 1:14. I was so happy cause I am NOT a runner & didn't do much actual running to prepare other than what my gym class has us do! I stopped for only 2 character stops with really short waits (like 2 people in line) & the fastest bathroom ever (just inside HS the REAL bathrooms). It was fun to run in the actual parks!

We went to the Expo/check-in Friday morning at opening & went straight to the Disney merchandise area first (not many people there yet). I was disappointed stuff had already sold out (I saw a greenish ladies tank top they said was gone Thursday). I don't think they should allow anyone who isn't registered for a race in there until like Saturday afternoon just to give the runners a fair shot at getting items first. Picking up our bibs was very easy & no lines. The Expo was interesting & well laid out. I am not a runner or anything, but lots of neat stuff to see. My friend got a pair of cool sneakers & I wasthisclose too but resisted.

We stayed at Shades of Green thanks to my friend so walked over about 2:45am Saturday to the parking lots. Obviously it being empty made things easy but lots of signs to direct you. I was 1st to meet Darth so that was my highlight!! We did all the character pics by 3:45am & then sat on the bleachers to watch what was happening. So many cool outfits! Headed to our corral E about 4:45am & ended up being in the 1st half of it when we started.

The race itself: I was expecting more characters on course to meet? Especially in the 1st 3 miles where we just ran along the dark road. I was bummed I only saw 1 Ewok & that was near the end & his line was pretty long (at that point I was just running & going with it so not stopping). I really had wanted that picture so I wished they had more spread out. I did get an R2D2 near the end where a bunch were waiting & I saw a really short line. I did another character picture right when I walked out of the bathrooms in HS with 2 storm troopers. People were waiting in line before the bathroom to see another character & I don't think realized there were more characters ahead so the line was only a person or 2 long. Walkers needed to stay to the right side & not in lines next to each other. Especially as the road narrowed down to a sidewalk (I see what people had been talking about)! Disney really needed to stress that more DURING the race. I mean that's just common courtesy slower traffic moves to the right but people weren't doing it. And throwing your arm in the air while running & then slamming on the brakes to walk without moving to the side doesn't stop the people behind you running from plowing into you. Saw that happen a few times! I thought we got lucky & had really good weather Saturday morning, but living here I am used to the humidity which I heard lots of people complaining about.

The medal is pretty cool! We decided it could be a weapon it's so heavy. The snacks & walk down chute was good. It was easy to find my friend afterwards. We got our after run pictures & then went to our bus since we had done the character pictures beforehand. I thought everything was very well organized (especially for some new clueless people like us to navigate) & everyone was very helpful we spoke to all weekend (workers, volunteers & other runners). Such a positive encouraging group!

I thought this would be a 1 & done bucket list event for me, but I had such a good time I am thinking of doing it again in 2019! Now what do I want to wear???

Does anyone know where we can buy this stuff online?

I haven't seen any of these online yet, but the ones from Princess that showed up at the running store at Disney Springs are starting to appear on the shop Disney site and app. I would suspect they'll end up there eventually, too.

I did the 10K (only my 2nd one) & it was my 1st ever Disney run experience. I lived! I ran more than I anticipated (probably a good 5 miles) & finished in 1:14. I was so happy cause I am NOT a runner & didn't do much actual running to prepare other than what my gym class has us do! I stopped for only 2 character stops with really short waits (like 2 people in line) & the fastest bathroom ever (just inside HS the REAL bathrooms). It was fun to run in the actual parks!

That reminds me of something that's different about WDW vs. Disneyland that I wasn't expecting: the number of men who ducked off the race course into the bushes on that first stretch in order to "use" the trees for a quick break... There aren't bushes anywhere on the DL race course that something like that could happen! Convenient I suppose, but not washing your hands after, eew!

We went to the Expo/check-in Friday morning at opening & went straight to the Disney merchandise area first (not many people there yet). I was disappointed stuff had already sold out (I saw a greenish ladies tank top they said was gone Thursday). I don't think they should allow anyone who isn't registered for a race in there until like Saturday afternoon just to give the runners a fair shot at getting items first.

I was disappointed that getting to the expo on Friday morning was still too late for the Han Solo and Chewbacca men's shirts, yeah. I hope that they'll be available later, but as you say it'd be nice if runners got a good shot at things,

Last edited:
My favorite moment from the early stretch of the Dark Side was the woman who shrieked after the first hydration stop because she'd poured an entire cup of Powerade over her head and face, mistakenly assuming it was water.

If you're out there, I hope you weren't too sticky for the rest of the race. Bless your heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!