Official 2018 HHN-28 Thread

I think few years back (2014) HE was open until 6 pm. (last train out)
HHN began at 6:30 so probably the reason that was the stop time for HE.

I'm in the parks for hhn and stay in the Studios side so not aware what time HE stops running when the park closes at 5:00.
Just the ride Gringotts is running during hhn.

Well I finally booked my hotel. Kept waiting for ap rates but decided I needed something on the books.

Was going to do a few days at Disney for mnsshp and the magical express, but then I changed my mnsshp date. We'd have still had to Uber from Disney to universal anyway so may as well just uber from the airport.

This will be one of my first trips without doing a bunch of hotel hopping/split stay nonsense so I am looking forward to that.

Last edited:
My husband and I are doing a quick adults only birthday trip long weekend. We will be staying at Disney but are planning to spend the Saturday at Universal including HHN. We have purchased park to park tickets plus express pass for the day and HHN plus RIP tour for the evening. Since we have limited time and have booked the RIP tour, would you recommend staying in the holding zones or should we use that time in IOA and enter HHN in time for our 7pm tour?

My husband and I are doing a quick adults only birthday trip long weekend. We will be staying at Disney but are planning to spend the Saturday at Universal including HHN. We have purchased park to park tickets plus express pass for the day and HHN plus RIP tour for the evening. Since we have limited time and have booked the RIP tour, would you recommend staying in the holding zones or should we use that time in IOA and enter HHN in time for our 7pm tour?

That's a tough one. You might have time to do one or two of the houses you're looking forward to if you do stay and scream.

Are you in the private or public tour? If public you'll only do each house once so I might be tempted to get a couple in with stay and scream.

Might as well and you can get one house for sure done by starting from the holding area.
HHN usually allows at least two house to open early.
Other houses will open when the park is officially open to all.

Last year I knocked off 2 houses before the crowds were let in and was in line at 6:30 for the 3rd house.
They could be a few houses with staggering times for opening.

But a lot depends on the day of the week you attend hhn.
Some nights have less crowds than others.
Wednesday is usually less attended than the weekends.

I buy the FF + EP for hhn.
I don't use the ep for those first houses when at hhn.
I save them to go back later in the evening when it is dark and lines are long.
You get a different outlook of the houses when it is totally dark later in the evening.

Since there will be a record number of ten houses this year, I'm sure those doing the public tours will be extremely helpful.
When you do a public tour, you will see all the houses the date you go.

I booked a private tour and our meet up time is at 5:30 as we start our tour at 6:00.
But do not know at this point if that start up time means we meet at La Bamba for a time period until we do the houses.

It's a new game this year with some changes.
We all will know more after Sept 14 has passed and others share about their time for hhn when it opens.

That's a tough one. You might have time to do one or two of the houses you're looking forward to if you do stay and scream.

Are you in the private or public tour? If public you'll only do each house once so I might be tempted to get a couple in with stay and scream.
We are doing a public tour so it may make sense to pick one that we want to do twice.

Might as well and you can get one house for sure done by starting from the holding area.
HHN usually allows at least two house to open early.
Other houses will open when the park is officially open to all.

Last year I knocked off 2 houses before the crowds were let in and was in line at 6:30 for the 3rd house.
They could be a few houses with staggering times for opening.

But a lot depends on the day of the week you attend hhn.
Some nights have less crowds than others.
Wednesday is usually less attended than the weekends.

I buy the FF + EP for hhn.
I don't use the ep for those first houses when at hhn.
I save them to go back later in the evening when it is dark and lines are long.
You get a different outlook of the houses when it is totally dark later in the evening.

Since there will be a record number of ten houses this year, I'm sure those doing the public tours will be extremely helpful.
When you do a public tour, you will see all the houses the date you go.

I booked a private tour and our meet up time is at 5:30 as we start our tour at 6:00.
But do not know at this point if that start up time means we meet at La Bamba for a time period until we do the houses.

It's a new game this year with some changes.
We all will know more after Sept 14 has passed and others share about their time for hhn when it opens.
Thanks for all the info. We are doing a public tour on Saturday September 22nd so it will likely be pretty busy. I’ll definitely watch for more information. Is it difficult to get into HHN in time for the tour if we choose to stay in IOA? Would we end up needing to spend some of that time in line to get in anyways? If we need to cut into our IOA touring time to get in line for HHN it probably just makes sense to stay grab dinner in one of the holding areas.

If your tour begins at 7:00, you probably would want to be there 6:45 to sign in and meet your tour guide and the others that will be in the tour group.
You will be issued a rip hhn lanyard once you have signed in for your tour.

You should have received an email to confirm your tour with info in it for where to meet up and the time you need to be there.

Do what the RIP hhn tour email states on what time to be at the place for meeting your tour guide.

If you are at IOA Saturday, you can walk over to the studios or take the HE to the other park.
The studios closes at 5:00.
You would need to be inside the park before 5 and wait in the holding zones of your choice.
Holding zones will release all the peeps once the houses start to open.

A few will open early.

If you want to stay at IOA longer, you can.
But, I have no idea how long it would take you to enter the studios if you walked from that park to the other.

I can't say how long the entrance line is to the studios once the park is open.
I am inside the park at that time.
Saturdays has the highest crowd levels for HHN.

To enter the Studios, you would enter through the studios entrance and show your hhn ticket.

Head to where you were instructed to meet up for your rip tour.

I find it easier to be in the park prior to its closing.
I stay in the park and wait out the time in one of the holding sections.
I prefer to stay in the Simpson area as there are places to sit

I do on some nights go to the ET ride and get in the line at 4:55.
All in the line are allowed to stay and do the ride even if the park is closing.

By the time I get on the ride and off, it is about 5:20 ish

I head towards the area nearer Simpsons food court area and find a place to sit until hhn begins.

You have plenty of time to make the decision of staying in the Studios and hit a few houses before you met up for you rip tour.
Many will start posting about hhn sometime in August.

Do a search and pull up past years threads about hhn.
Some will include pictures, details of their evening, etc.

6 houses to be announced. There is supposed to be total of 10 houses for HHN 28

SCARE ZONES

1. The Harvest

2. Vamp’ 85: New Years Eve

3. Twisted Tradition

4. Revenge of Chucky

5. Killer Klowns from Outerspace

HOUSES

1. Stranger Things

2. Dead Exposure: Patient Zero

3. Trick ‘r Treat

4. Slaughter Sinema

Last edited:
I have lots of faith in the folks at Universal that they are going to blow our socks off with HHN 28.

I thought the best original house last year was "Fallen". It was a house that just got better every time I went in.

I'am a believer in Mac's view that you really can't appreciate a house totally with only going in it once.

For those who are into the artistry that goes into the creation of the houses think about doing the Unmasking the Horror Tour if you have time. It's so nice to be able to appreciate in the daylight what creativity goes into the houses.

DH and I decided to go to HHN this year back in December when we were at USO with the kids. We went for the first time on our honeymoon in 1999 and go back every couple of years to relive the fun for our anniversary. Through changes in plans it appears we will be bringing our DS13 and DD15 on the trip. We gave them the option of coming to HHN or hanging out in the room when we go. They have no issue hanging out in the room but are very excited to finally get to go to HHN after all our talk about it. We have warned them that it is scary and they have seen the pictures and videos we have taken in the past. We are staying at RPR so we are close distance to the parks. I really don't know for sure if they will love it or want to opt out. DH and I plan on getting FF and go 3 nights while we are there. Trying to decide if I should buy 4 FF or only 2 and then 2 single night passes for the kids? If they don't like it or want to go again then I don't want to have spent the money on FF when a single night would have suffice, and vice versa if I get a single night and they love it I don't want to buy two more single nights. We got APs before we left in January. Thoughts? Can you buy a single night and then upgrade to a FF after if they decide they like it?

I have no idea if a hhn ticket can be upgraded to the FF pass

This is a question you could send to guest services for an answer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter