"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would doing a bog dinner at 8 be a bad idea for a dah that starts at 9? I had a 4:15 but looks like we won’t be able to use that now.

I would check what time HEA is at. We are going March 8 and DAH is scheduled for a 9:00pm start, but HEA is (currently) at 8:00pm. So I'm thinking lines will be quite short around the park during that hour while everyone is on Main St. I'm hoping to watch the fireworks from Big Thunder or Seven Dwarves, it's always been a dream of mine!

Would doing a bog dinner at 8 be a bad idea for a dah that starts at 9? I had a 4:15 but looks like we won’t be able to use that now.

I think it very much depends on your individual touring style/strategy. A lot of folks want to maximize every possible minute with rides, rides, rides, which I totally get. We’re more laid back and enjoy going at a slower pace / enjoying the sights and sounds (note, easy for me to say that since we have APs and go a few times a year). Stopping to eat in that pre-DAH time might be something we’d do.

That being said, if this were me, I’d rather watch HEA than eat at BOG at 8PM, or like PP says get a jump start on some park time. You never quite know how long a dinner will take, if you’ll be seated on time, etc, so a little bit of a risk there. But if BOG dinner is realy on your list, no harm in it!

Have fun!

We don't go as often as @GADisneyDad14. But we also enjoyed the sights and sounds of an almost empty park. And I would consider aBOG dinner at 8 waste of money to spend even 30 minutes eating dinner.

We had a large lunch, a couple of snacks and then had ice cream for dinner. Well, that and soda.

We are seriously thinking about going to DAH the night we fly in (1/26). But since we’ll be up at 3 am we may either be exhausted, or we may be still on west coast time and full of Disney adrenaline. So we’re not buying tickets ahead of time, and will instead decide when we land. I understand that the biggest risk is a sell out. It sounds like last year they didn’t sell out, but yesterday did. What’s the chance that the 26th will sell out?

Disney adrenaline can be very strong. Actually last year, I had been on the west coast the few days and then flew to WDW the day of DAH. My internal clock was totally screwed up by that point, but Disney/travel adrenaline totally carried the night for me! :-)

We don’t think any sold out last year, and if they did it was very close to the day of and didn’t get widely discussed or documented. Last Friday’s event sold out sometime around last Tuesday. That was an eye opener for me. Maybe I’m being too cautious, but I am concerned that all of the nights could be potential sell-outs at this point.

Safe travels!

That’s a hard call to make because there will be MUCH shorter lines during hea especially on these “lower” attending nights Last year starting 5-10 min before fireworks things were pretty deserted (maybe not fantasyland) I had the same struggle with my bucket list hea but I’ve cancelled :( hoping to catch it on the way back after our next cruise in September!!!

We have AP’s and plan on entering MK around 4pm, last year they gave us our lanyard at that time, am I hearing this year we have to go back out of the park around 7pm or is that just for people w/o park ticket?

We have AP’s and plan on entering MK around 4pm, last year they gave us our lanyard at that time, am I hearing this year we have to go back out of the park around 7pm or is that just for people w/o park ticket?

We had park tickets and had to exit and come back in around 7:00 to get our lanyards.

I think as far as how entry goes (exit/re-entry and in at 7 or maybe earlier) we will need to see how the party on the 26th goes. Reading all the reviews it almost seems that the CM’s were not as in the know about the party as everyone who had tickets.

Pure speculation on my part though but it seems like this first party had a lot of bloggers etc going to it. I wonder if Disney handed out free tickets to them and that is a possible explanation for the sell out.

Thanks to everyone who answered me. I’m pretty sure I’ll cancel the bog adr. We will still be eating lunch there a different day. I’ve never eaten dinner there but that’s honestly okay. I would much rather be riding rides during the fireworks especially btmr!! That’s our favorite during fireworks.

I now have a new question regarding adr’s. The day before dah we have completely open. I can either do 1900 pf for breakfast or ohana for dinner. If I choose 1900 pf then I need to find a dinner for the next day (before dah). If we do ohana we can do 1900 pf the morning of dah. Not sure if we want to go to the grand, go back to pop, and back to mk in one day.

We are seriously thinking about going to DAH the night we fly in (1/26). But since we’ll be up at 3 am we may either be exhausted, or we may be still on west coast time and full of Disney adrenaline. So we’re not buying tickets ahead of time, and will instead decide when we land. I understand that the biggest risk is a sell out. It sounds like last year they didn’t sell out, but yesterday did. What’s the chance that the 26th will sell out?

We (me and 5 year old daughter) flew in from Seattle last year the day of our DAH event. It was a blast and she ran on adrenaline - still being on west coast time helped a lot! We were both exhausted on the bus back to the resort. It was amazing and I am seriously thinking about flying in just for the event this year! Have a blast if you go!

Thanks to everyone who answered me. I’m pretty sure I’ll cancel the bog adr. We will still be eating lunch there a different day. I’ve never eaten dinner there but that’s honestly okay. I would much rather be riding rides during the fireworks especially btmr!! That’s our favorite during fireworks.

I now have a new question regarding adr’s. The day before dah we have completely open. I can either do 1900 pf for breakfast or ohana for dinner. If I choose 1900 pf then I need to find a dinner for the next day (before dah). If we do ohana we can do 1900 pf the morning of dah. Not sure if we want to go to the grand, go back to pop, and back to mk in one day.

I love Ohana for dinner so much so that would be my pick. But I agree with coming and going back and forth from GF/Pop/MK. Is 1900 a must do? If not I would probably skip and do something on the monorail for dinner before DAH - The Wave is especially good. Or try and get a 1900 dinner reservation for DAH night

I love Ohana for dinner so much so that would be my pick. But I agree with coming and going back and forth from GF/Pop/MK. Is 1900 a must do? If not I would probably skip and do something on the monorail for dinner before DAH - The Wave is especially good. Or try and get a 1900 dinner reservation for DAH night
Our niece and I both wanted to do 1900 pf breakfast over ohana so we probably won’t give up the 1900 breakfast.

We attended this event on 1/19 and were already in the park on Friday and had dinner at BOG at 6. A manager in Fantasyland told us that they were going to pass out lanyards near stitch starting at 7, but nobody was there so we had to exit the park and go back in. Luckily the main st bypass was open so getting to the front wasn’t too bad. We then went back to Tomorrowland and started riding. Our pattern went like this:

People-mover (8:00pm)
Buzz
Space Mtn
Pirates
BTMRR
County Bears (9:00pm)
Haunted Mansion
IASW
Journey of the Little Mermaid
Barnstormer
Dumbo
Teacups
Space Mountain (10:30pm)

Every ride was a walk on for us except for the final ride on space mountain where we had about a 15 minute wait with both lines going.

The lines to get snacks were pretty long all night and after 10 the Tomorrowland popcorn cart ran out of popcorn until about 10:50.

There were moments where the park seemed sparse, but I didn’t get a feeling of an empty park. That being said the number of people there had no impact on what we were able to accomplish because of all the walk ons. We have done EMM a few times and the crowd level seemed pretty similar to that. We could have probably ran between the rides and possibly jumped on right before 11 and snuck in 2-3 more rides if we really had pushed it.

We must have just escaped pirates before the breakdown. Ironically we did the KTTK tour earlier that day and they said that riding pirates is no longer included on the tour because when it breaks down it ruins their scheduling. I could see it being excluded from other events in the future (since it’s going down to change the redhead scene anyway). And if I ever do the event again I’ll just skip it so that I don’t ruin my evening.

We attended this event on 1/19 and were already in the park on Friday and had dinner at BOG at 6. A manager in Fantasyland told us that they were going to pass out lanyards near stitch starting at 7, but nobody was there so we had to exit the park and go back in. Luckily the main st bypass was open so getting to the front wasn’t too bad. We then went back to Tomorrowland and started riding. Our pattern went like this:

People-mover (8:00pm)
Buzz
Space Mtn
Pirates
BTMRR
County Bears (9:00pm)
Haunted Mansion
IASW
Journey of the Little Mermaid
Barnstormer
Dumbo
Teacups
Space Mountain (10:30pm)

Every ride was a walk on for us except for the final ride on space mountain where we had about a 15 minute wait with both lines going.

The lines to get snacks were pretty long all night and after 10 the Tomorrowland popcorn cart ran out of popcorn until about 10:50.

There were moments where the park seemed sparse, but I didn’t get a feeling of an empty park. That being said the number of people there had no impact on what we were able to accomplish because of all the walk ons. We have done EMM a few times and the crowd level seemed pretty similar to that. We could have probably ran between the rides and possibly jumped on right before 11 and snuck in 2-3 more rides if we really had pushed it.

We must have just escaped pirates before the breakdown. Ironically we did the KTTK tour earlier that day and they said that riding pirates is no longer included on the tour because when it breaks down it ruins their scheduling. I could see it being excluded from other events in the future (since it’s going down to change the redhead scene anyway). And if I ever do the event again I’ll just skip it so that I don’t ruin my evening.
I hope they’re changing more than just the redhead scene since it breaks down all the time. I saw that it’s broken down again today.

I was in that line.do you might sharing who live streamed it.i saw them and would love to see the video
It was a live stream on Instagram during the event, not sure it's still available sorry! It was by a member here actually let me see if I can find her username.

My husband and I did DAH on Friday. We are about an hour from Disney so we drove over after work arriving at magic kingdom around 7:15. We picked up our lanyard quickly and then decided to do some rides with a short wait and plan what we wanted to do during the party. We decided our focus would be on mine train, space mountain, thunder mountain, and ice cream. We decided not to bother with any ride that was slow and long (haunted mansion, small world, jungle cruise, pirates) or ones we can usually do without waits. Our night went like this:

8pm - rode dumbo to watch fireworks. Was able to ride 5 times without getting off until fireworks were over.

8:20ish - moved to space mountain stopping for ice cream and soda. The stand outside speedway had no line while the stand closer to space mtn had about 10 people. Rode space mountain twice with waits comparable to fast pass (no line until merge point and then only a few minutes). Saw about 5 groups try to get in line and were turned away for not having a lanyard. Actually saw a few groups running toward space and over heard them talking about getting in line before the park closed so it seemed like some people just didn’t pay attention to closing time.

Around 9pm - headed to thunder mountain. Treat stand by space still had about 10 people, no one in line at stand by castle (but about 5-10 people after we left it), about 5 people in line for stand by magic carpets, and a few people in line for stand by thunder. We stopped at most picking up various items but never waited more than 5 minutes even with lines. Photopass photographers in front of castle had a few people in line and we saw a couple get engaged. It looked like they were having a really good night. We were pretty much alone between the entrance of Adventureland until we reached thunder mountain. Once at thunder lines were short and moved quickly. We rode 5 times. The first time though we were seated in the back. The 2nd time we were seated in the front row and since they loaded back to front no one was waiting for our row when our train returned so we were allowed to stay on for our 3rd ride. Same thing happened and were able to stay on for 4th ride. Had to get off after that but was able to get back on very quickly for 5th ride. They were checking for lanyards before getting in line.

Around 10pm - headed to Fantasy land. Treat cart by thunder still has about 5 poeple in line. Waited for Peter Pan and was off ride in about 10-15 minutes with line. Moved to mine train and was told it was a 30 minute wait at about 10:20pm. We decided to head back to Space but as we walked past line for mine train we could see the end of the line was inside so we decided to take our chances and went back to get in line. It was a good thing we did because we were on the ride in 4 minutes. We then did the ride 3 more times, stopped for a final ice cream, and got back in line at 10:59. Each time the line was slightly different with one ride having only a few people when we reached the boarding area and our last ride having to wait by the barrels. Still our longest wait was only about 5 minutes. We did have to exit and walk the entire line each time (we just assumed they were helping us work off the Mickey bars).

Summary: had 18 rides on 5 diffent attractions, ate more ice cream then two people should eat, and were highly caffeinated by the end. We didn’t experience lines that were too long but overall spent about 30-40 minutes waiting. With 18 rides this wasn’t bad and is to be expected, though does cut into a 3 hour event. Eating ice cream and popcorn also cut in to some of our time but with my husbands love of Mickey bars it was well worth it. We also took ziplock bags to put popcorn in so we could more easily eat it while walking and were able to close it when we were on rides so we didn’t have to spend time finishing it before riding.

The day before dah we have completely open. I can either do 1900 pf for breakfast or ohana for dinner. If I choose 1900 pf then I need to find a dinner for the next day (before dah).

If you do 1900 PF breakfast the day before, that gives you the rest of the day to do what you want. Then on DAH night you could do early dinner at Ohana before (we did Chef Mickeys brunch latest time slot prior to MNSSHP and this worked out well-no back and forth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!