Official 2017 HHN-27 Thread

TM friends seem to agree if this is your first HHN you'll probably love it. But they're hearing a lot of the same thing from folks like us, just something missing. As I said above, I hate saying anything negative as they put so much into the event, but SA were mostly excellent as always.
This is pretty much what I heard as well - spoke with lots of TMs, SAs, locals and bartenders and that seems to be the general consensus.
From what I heard even the employee preview was underwhelming.
Like you I always do the rush of fear and go multiple nights - so I get a pretty good flavor of what is going on and as a solo traveler I talk to a lot of folks in line and in the bars at citywalk.

I was also there opening night when they had the press event - and I left very disappointed - so much so that I was wondering what I was going to do for the next 8 nights.
It did get better just about every night - so I was attributing that to the hurricane, but there were a few less scare zones this year and Invasion was beyond lame.

I do feel like I saw a lot more of the SAs being treated poorly than even last year - last year it seemed like the kids were a problem - trying to act tough and get the SAs to touch them - but this year it seemed like there were a lot of adult who were a problem - trying to get a bit too close to the SAs (and dancers) I saw a lot more of security stepping in to handle this..and I saw more than one SA get very angry with people crossing lines (Keeping this as clean as possible)

Purge - yes - it has been over done - but it was still fun on most of the nights I was there.
Trick 'R' Treat - like you said very well done. On the last night the tone of the people attending was a little frustrating to say the least - that did put me off quite a bit.
Festival of the Deadliest - this area seemed as if it was getting better each night - the first few nights there were no stages for example. the SAs were really good and although I enjoyed the dancers I really didn't find it all that great. The other issue was many of the attendees were treating the SAs poorly IMO
Altars of Horror - I did like this as it had something for everyone and did change quite a bit - at least for ASH vs Evil dead fans over the six nights I was at HHN there there was a variety of characters from the show. I dont think the others changed at all
Chainsaw clowns - these were some of the same folks from this area last year - so they knew where to hide and were a lot of fun to interact with. It is fun to just sit and watch with a beer.
Academy of Villains. - I do agree - was good but was expecting so much more - and I am sure they were just as disappointed with the situation
Bill and Ted - it was OK, but I would not do it more than once or search it out - I just happened to be there as it was starting

Dead Waters.........Agree was a great house.

Scarecrow.......this one could be really good or just average - all depended on the night - when it was good it was really good though - maybe better than Dead Waters

Hive.......This one was good - but very dark - especially since it was usually the first house of the night and your eyes could not adjust

Blum house.............Too thrown together for me - was not all the impressed

Ash vs Evil Dead...........the walk to this house was ridiculous. As a long time fan of Ash I did enjoy it, and did it every night at least once, but it could have been better

AHS.........It was good - just hope this does not become like the Walking dead year after year (or is it already)

Shining..........Was really enjoyable - lots of obscure movie references - but yeah I did feel like they could have done more with Danny

Fallen..........agree

Saw...........yeah - the only house I only did once.

Last edited:

This is pretty much what I heard as well - spoke with lots of TMs, SAs, locals and bartenders and that seems to be the general consensus.
From what I heard even the employee preview was underwhelming.
Like you I always do the rush of fear and go multiple nights - so I get a pretty good flavor of what is going on and as a solo traveler I talk to a lot of folks in line and in the bars at citywalk.

I was also there opening night when they had the press event - and I left very disappointed - so much so that I was wondering what I was going to do for the next 8 nights.
It did get better just about every night - so I was attributing that to the hurricane, but there were a few less scare zones this year and Invasion was beyond lame.

I do feel like I saw a lot more of the SAs being treated poorly than even last year - last year it seemed like the kids were a problem - trying to act tough and get the SAs to touch them - but this year it seemed like there were a lot of adult who were a problem - trying to get a bit too close to the SAs (and dancers) I saw a lot more of security stepping in to handle this..and I saw more than one SA get very angry with people crossing lines (Keeping this as clean as possible)

Purge - yes - it has been over done - but it was still fun on most of the nights I was there.
Trick 'R' Treat - like you said very well done. On the last night the tone of the people attending was a little frustrating to say the least - that did put me off quite a bit.
Festival of the Deadliest - this area seemed as if it was getting better each night - the first few nights there were no stages for example. the SAs were really good and although I enjoyed the dancers I really didn't find it all that great. The other issue was many of the attendees were treating the SAs poorly IMO
Altars of Horror - I did like this as it had something for everyone and did change quite a bit - at least for ASH vs Evil dead fans over the six nights I was at HHN there there was a variety of characters from the show. I dont think the others changed at all
Chainsaw clowns - these were some of the same folks from this area last year - so they knew where to hide and were a lot of fun to interact with. It is fun to just sit and watch with a beer.
Academy of Villains. - I do agree - was good but was expecting so much more - and I am sure they were just as disappointed with the situation
Bill and Ted - it was OK, but I would not do it more than once or search it out - I just happened to be there as it was starting

Dead Waters.........Agree was a great house.

Scarecrow.......this one could be really good or just average - all depended on the night - when it was good it was really good though - maybe better than Dead Waters

Hive.......This one was good - but very dark - especially since it was usually the first house of the night and your eyes could not adjust

Blum house.............Too thrown together for me - was not all the impressed

Ash vs Evil Dead...........the walk to this house was ridiculous. As a long time fan of Ash I did enjoy it, and did it every night at least once, but it could have been better

AHS.........It was good - just hope this does not become like the Walking dead year after year (or is it already)

Shining..........Was really enjoyable - lots of obscure movie references - but yeah I did feel like they could have done more with Danny

Fallen..........agree

Saw...........yeah - the only house I only did once.

We heard exactly the same from TM preview. Usually when we arrive we have several TM and RP staff tell us how much we will love it.....this year they were wondering what we would think of it.

I always feel so sad when folks say it`s been any kind of let down. I know what you mean.......yes, it was still fun and did improve as it went on (some things anyway) But just feel a bit flat this year after attending.

We noticed a few folks taunting the SA more this year too, yes trying to get a reaction from them......idiots.......not nice to see.......why do they think they can do that.......and yes it wasn't kids it was adults, male and female.

Well, there`s always next year to look forward to.......it`s going to be better I`m sure......:thumbsup2

Hello! This will be our 4th year doing HHN. We will be there this Saturday and I would like suggestions on the order of the houses based on wait times etc using S&S. We have never used an Express Pass and have seen all of the houses in the past, usually the last 2 or 3 houses at the end of the day we're in line for an hour or so each and that's fine with us.

From a few of the posts I read, it seems AHS is the longest line but Hive is the best house.

Hello! This will be our 4th year doing HHN. We will be there this Saturday and I would like suggestions on the order of the houses based on wait times etc using S&S. We have never used an Express Pass and have seen all of the houses in the past, usually the last 2 or 3 houses at the end of the day we're in line for an hour or so each and that's fine with us.

From a few of the posts I read, it seems AHS is the longest line but Hive is the best house.
Since you're going on a Saturday and w/o Express Passes, the waits are going to be terrible. So with that said, I would suggest doing the four soundstage houses (AHS, The Shining, The Fallen and Dead Waters) first then move over to the other side of the park. Then do Ash v. Evil Dead, The Hive and Scarecrow. Blumhouse is over near MIB and Saw is in the Shrek building...do those whenever.

I though The Hive was in the bottom two or three of the houses...certainly no where near the top on my list. Dead Waters and Scarecrow are both much better than The Hive. But...we all have opinions.

Will you be in UO for the day or are you just going to HHN?

You have been to HHN a few times so you may already know this, but if you go to UO for the day you can stay in the park and hang around one of the holding area - they just check for your HHN ticket - Springfield and Finnegans seem to be the most popular.
I only did the Springfield holding area this year, (if I do Finnegan's I usually get distracted having a few pints and miss the early access), anyway on one Saturday night I was able to do Blume, Hive and Scarecrow immediately - then went to ASH v Evil dead which had just opened and was a walk on (a long walk).
I then headed straight to The Shinning - YMMV but I had those houses done in no time at all - I then went up the back to Dead waters and that was about 35 minutes as it had just opened as well

Hard to say which houses will be open and when - one night only Hive was available early for those that stayed in the park - I am sure it has to do with the SAs being ready - but you can usually get to one or two before they really start letting people in and watch for the houses that have later opening- often you can get there just as they open it and get through quickly

I would watch the wait times with the app for AHS and if it drops under an hour then go to it - it will probably be an hour at opening as everyone seems to head right there - so it may be better to wait for that one

We're headed to our first ever HHN tonight. We are AP, we'll be in the park already and are not planning to buy express pass but can be talked in to it if y'all experts think we need it. I've tried to read up best I can and things are pretty mixed on do we need EP or not.
I hate scary and am not sure I'll do any houses at all. Maybe, will just have to see how I feel when there tonight.
Honestly not sure what to expect. Doing it because we are here and want to try it once. If we did a house we'd do once each. Are EP used for anything other than houses?
Really, I'm all for any advice y'all want to throw at us.
What are scare zones?
What is this big show they've set up for by Rip Rock It?
I feel so lost!

Will you be in UO for the day or are you just going to HHN?

You have been to HHN a few times so you may already know this, but if you go to UO for the day you can stay in the park and hang around one of the holding area - they just check for your HHN ticket - Springfield and Finnegans seem to be the most popular.
I only did the Springfield holding area this year, (if I do Finnegan's I usually get distracted having a few pints and miss the early access), anyway on one Saturday night I was able to do Blume, Hive and Scarecrow immediately - then went to ASH v Evil dead which had just opened and was a walk on (a long walk).
I then headed straight to The Shinning - YMMV but I had those houses done in no time at all - I then went up the back to Dead waters and that was about 35 minutes as it had just opened as well

Hard to say which houses will be open and when - one night only Hive was available early for those that stayed in the park - I am sure it has to do with the SAs being ready - but you can usually get to one or two before they really start letting people in and watch for the houses that have later opening- often you can get there just as they open it and get through quickly

I would watch the wait times with the app for AHS and if it drops under an hour then go to it - it will probably be an hour at opening as everyone seems to head right there - so it may be better to wait for that one

Yeah that's the S&S option we always do where we sit in the waiting area. I will follow your plan to do Springfield waiting area then do Blume > Hive > Scarecrow > Ash vs Evil Dead > Shining > Dead Waters > AHS.

Wednesday's usually don't have huge crowds mid October

I have the Ff+ with ep and will use it tonight

I plan to do the houses and finish early tonight

Anyone can buy the ep after 10
(Or it could be after 11)
And pay half price for the ep

Peeps need to buy this once they are in the park as they do sell out some days

The ep after 10 ( or 11) means your ep is valid for each house at that time start

Do the houses in the regular line and then use the ep for the houses once the designated time begins

Angie you two can hang with me tonight if you wish
Or I can help guide you if you want to do hhn on your own

I'll be in Simpsons area at 5 or a bit after
I plan to grab food in Simpsons eatery during the wait time

Ep includes the 6 rides that are open during hhn

It also is valid for the first show of Bill and Ted adventure

Cool! We're just getting checked in our room and heading back out to the park
We'll make our way back to the Simpson area. Hopefully. At least spend a few minutes to get some advice on what's what.
Heck, were don't even know what 6 rides are open

Reactions: shh
We'll make our way back to the Simpson area. Hopefully. At least spend a few minutes to get some advice on what's what.

Please let us know how it went when you return home - curious whether you see it as a "one and done" - or if the event and Macraven's help transformed you into a HHN fan :D

Report back and let us know how you liked HHN! I am a horror wimp but not only did I enjoy it last year, we're going back again this year!

Did not see ang at Simpsons area

Hive opened before 6
Blumhouse opened early also

I was inside moes eating the footlong dog

Saw the crowds outside and rushed to finish my food to hit the first house

About 8:30, many peeps entering the park
More peeps in the front of the park than in the back

Even Bill and Ted show had A lot for the first show when I was there

That show not full as one side did have seating available

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter