Off-site vs On-site

Hi,
I just came back from an off-site trip and wanted to post to those that want to stay off-site but are hesitant. It was great. I stay on-site a lot and enjoy it very much. I just want to say I also very much enjoyed my off-site stay and it was just as magical.

This is how we felt on our last off site stay.

We felt so great about it, we are staying offsite again in a few weeks!

ETA: We actually had to go offsite to get mousekeeping again!

don't really like mousekeeping - so staying on or off site will generally go with timeshares because no housekeeping.

Both are fine - stay onsite a few days a year - have generally one or two night stays - have DVC or this would be impossible (some of Disney stays require at least 3 or 4 days) - also live fairly close - 35 to 63 miles - so an hour to two hours drive.

with the timeshares can stay for a week - generally don't have cats at home.

Glad to hear you had a good stay!

We are doing an off site town home rental for a week soon. Reviews were good and it’s only $700 total for 7 nights.

I’m looking forward to having the 3 bathrooms even though it’s only 2 of us going. It’s also nice having a kitchen to make breakfast or microwave a snack.

I personally don’t care for the food at Disney, so staying off site is great for me because I can try all of the yummy restaurants in Orlando. Plus way cheaper drinks at happy hours!

I agree that off-site is often underrated, there are some great off-site hotels and resorts that can offer an experience just as good if not better than some WDW resorts.. Not to mention, if you are a member of one of the hotel loyalty programs (Hilton HHonors, etc.) its nice to get the credit and points for the stay with a hotel brand that you trust, plus the perks if you happen to be a higher tier member..

Hi,
I just came back from an off-site trip and wanted to post to those that want to stay off-site but are hesitant. It was great. I stay on-site a lot and enjoy it very much. I just want to say I also very much enjoyed my off-site stay and it was just as magical.

Hello! Do you have a trip report? I would love to hear about your planning especially FP availability, did you take breaks during the day?

Thank you!

Some of the off-site resorts are absolutely gorgeous (and much more affordable). I really do enjoy some of the benefits of onsite, but this last fall we stayed at OKW and FW cabins and actually used my car to get to some of the parks vs. WDW buses.

I keep doing onsite for perceived convenience. I fly, so I don't need a rental car and we use Disney transportation. This year, my POP PPV room rate is about $185 per night (11 nights May 29 - June 9). That is what has me thinking about offsite, but the total savings and cost of adding a rental car would have to make it worth that hassle and having to drive ourselves to the park each day. It's just me and DD.

Is it difficult to get around the highways in Florida? I don't want to be stressed out by fighting traffic and getting directions wrong on my vacation. I hate getting lost. I'm not terrible with directions, but It's certainly not my superpower.

Also, from room to park, does it take longer to use the Disney bus system or to use your rental car? I really have no idea what kind of hassle it is to get into the parking lot and make your way up to the park entrance. We really want to rope drop in the mornings, but we already lose an hour just coming from the midwest. I don't want to get up at 5 am when it feels like 4 am to our bodies, just to leave extra time for driving.

Am I making offsite seem worse than it is? Should I just stay onsite and not stress myself out?

I keep doing onsite for perceived convenience. I fly, so I don't need a rental car and we use Disney transportation. This year, my POP PPV room rate is about $185 per night (11 nights May 29 - June 9). That is what has me thinking about offsite, but the total savings and cost of adding a rental car would have to make it worth that hassle and having to drive ourselves to the park each day. It's just me and DD.

Is it difficult to get around the highways in Florida? I don't want to be stressed out by fighting traffic and getting directions wrong on my vacation. I hate getting lost. I'm not terrible with directions, but It's certainly not my superpower.

Also, from room to park, does it take longer to use the Disney bus system or to use your rental car? I really have no idea what kind of hassle it is to get into the parking lot and make your way up to the park entrance. We really want to rope drop in the mornings, but we already lose an hour just coming from the midwest. I don't want to get up at 5 am when it feels like 4 am to our bodies, just to leave extra time for driving.

Am I making offsite seem worse than it is? Should I just stay onsite and not stress myself out?

When you can stay at a value, it makes on site more attractive because of the benefits and the price. As a family of 5, off site is the way to go, IMO..

Depending on where you stay, the roads are more than manageable. Usually takes us 10 mins door to door. I think it’s faster than wdw transportation 9xs out of 10.

Where car driving can be tough is right after fireworks. Buses are not fun either at this time, but I'd rather not drive at that time.

For some reason we find late afternoon and early evening harder with the car. It's like rush hour.

We found other ways besides I-4 to get to the Disney parks. Keep in mind you have to pay the parking fee to get into the parks. Then, you have to deal with the trams to get to park entrance.

You give up early and late magic hours at most offsite resorts except for those connected with the Disney Springs area. And don't forget getting the 60 day window being onsite for fastpasses rather than 30.

Since you are there for 11 nights, I would consider a split stay. Rent a car and do offsite first, and then move to a property hotel. Sounds like you want to explore what offsite has to offer in terms of savings, etc., so you will likely have this internal struggle each time you plan a Disney trip and book accommodation. Moving hotels really shouldn't be too challenging with just 2 people. Maybe if you book a few nights offsite this trip, you can see what it's all about. If it's not for you, at least you know you are moving to an onsite hotel for the remainder of your vacation (which you will really appreciate once you get there)! Then, you will have the experience going forward to know that offsite just isn't your thing. On the flip side, if you love the extra space and $ you save offsite, the next time you book a trip your decision to stay onsite vs. offsite will be much easier to make.

We are an offsite family because there are 7 of us. I would really like to stay onsite at some point in my life, but it won't be while my kids are small. I just love the extra space, and ease of doing laundry/preparing simple meals that offsite offers. I am NOT a cook- I don't want to spend my vacation cooking when I don't even enjoy it all that much in everyday life, but having the convenience of boiling water to make pasta for picky kids is pretty huge for the budget. With 7 people, our options onsite would be very limited, and frankly- I just don't think we could afford it (unless it was a once in a lifetime trip). I love WDW vacations and would like to get there frequently while my kids are growing up. Staying offsite to make that happen is fine with me!

The stickier transportation involved in an offsite stay is a small price to pay for all the conveniences you gain. And honestly, it's only MK that can be tough. Getting into the other parks is really not a big deal. Our oldest kid is only 9 and we have made it to rope drop at MK with time to spare... This includes dragging two double strollers and sun-blocking 5 squirmy kids, all before 7:30am. Also, Florida is not any more difficult to navigate than anywhere else. With that said, I am from New England and the entire city of Boston is one big, confusing maze that I have mastered over the years- so not sure I am the best person to comment on ease of driving in the WDW area. Haha!

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

Just a couple of tips to add to what has already been said here.

For just two people, it will be only marginally cheaper to stay offsite (the savings mount for larger families), but you can certainly get more for your money.

The roadways in the area can be a little confusing if you are used to a grid system. Orlando (well all of Central Florida) is nothing but a bunch a odd shaped swamps, ponds and lakes with roads snaking around them. Right angled intersections are a rarity. BUT technology is your friend. We borrowed a GPS from a friend for our first trip, bought and brought our own for the next few trips, and now I just use google maps on my phone. GPS or GMaps will get you around the area without a hiccup and can even predict traffic now; you don't really have to think about it. For a rental car, I bring a suction cup mount (Scosche brand, available at WalMart) to attach my phone to the windshield. Rental car companies will also rent you a GPS, but it's stupid expensive; especially since google maps is free on a smart phone.

For the next several years you will want to avoid the I4 as it will be construction nightmare as they twin in HOV/Toll lanes. But a very many offsite options are close enough in to not require hitting the interstate at all. Also, signage getting to the parks is very simple. It's getting back to your resort and the end of a park day that makes it more challenging without a friendly voice guiding the way.

Time to the parks depends a lot on hotel locations. Many spots offsite with car have shorter park commute times than via DTS. Check out the Unofficial Guide book for Disney (purchase or from your local library); they have done some very objective research, timing this for most major hotels/resorts in the area and all Disney Resorts. It is easy to compare an offsite location to onsite and see the difference if any.

Are you making offsite worse than it is? Absolutely! There are many of us who much prefer an offsite stay for the value and space it provides. BUT if it is stressing you out, I would suggest staying onsite, you won't save that much offsite for two people over a value resort onsite. It's good that you are questioning the value of staying at the House of the Mouse. Eventually you may venture away and discover all the amazing things that Central Florida offers outside of the bubble.

I've been going to Disney since it opened, and in last decade started at about 60% onside 40% offsite .... trickled to the reverse .... then trickled to 75% onsite 25% offsite because the values had some great rates ............ but I foresee my future being almost all offsite now. The onsite perks just don't exist for us anymore and with Disney renovating all their rooms to be generic theme-less, adding dogs with minimal rules and now these security checks in our room ........ I can get so much more for the same offsite.

An example, I am staying spring break at the Embassy Suites LBV South. It's newer, beautifully decorated, one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever had (included), evening reception with alcohol drinks and snacks, wifi, great inside restaurant, suites = two rooms, queen beds and sofabed, kitchenette, pretty and tasteful pool area ............ 10 minutes to parks. I am paying $123 ($113 + $10 parking) vs an ALLStars which would have cost me $183 + $15 extra person, so $198 per night for old double beds in a small room. There is nothing they offer that makes that worth it.

We have stayed in Orlando at a ton of the Hiltons, Marriotts, Rosens, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale, Sheraton Vistana, Wyndham Bonnet Creek and assortment of lower priced hotels. Driving to Disney, Universal, SeaWorld etc are easy. Having outside dining for better/comparable food for less is huge. I've had those weeks at Disney where I never saw my car .... but offsite has great perks as well. The money I save can pay for Discovery Cove and special events. Having a kitchen and laundry are awesome, I don't cook but I have have sandwich and breakfast stuff. Or a hotel with breakfast included, great way to keep our eat costs down.

Hello! Do you have a trip report? I would love to hear about your planning especially FP availability, did you take breaks during the day?

Thank you!

We just don't have FP+ problems, even when booked way in advance we rarely do the 60 days. We were there last week, parks were crowded. Headed to Epcot on Thursday to substantial crowds with no FP+. We could get them for everything (3 of us). We rode Test Track, Soarin', Nemo and Frozen all with FP+. Frozen we got for a few hours out, just kept refreshing and got one that we could go in the time it took us to walk there. There are lots of hints on here how to use FP+ system, we have no issues.

YIKES! See this is where I am having issues with Disney, their rates are getting out of control for what you get. We just stayed at POP for $95 a night.

When you can stay at a value, it makes on site more attractive because of the benefits and the price. As a family of 5, off site is the way to go, IMO..

Depending on where you stay, the roads are more than manageable. Usually takes us 10 mins door to door. I think it’s faster than wdw transportation 9xs out of 10.

It really boils down to what benefits you want. We have APs so we don't care about the parking but even if we paid for it, we can more than make up for it with our room rate. 60 day FP+ is a non-issue for us, we don't care about the DDP (we'd rather eat what we want and save money), we don't care about package delivery as we can send packages to front of park and pick up on the way out, we have plenty of MagicBands, last week we had full intention to use EMH but didn't and we drive so Magical Express does nothing for us. You have to look at what of those are mandatory to the success of your trip. If you will have no car, onsite is a good option but the rest ............

Last edited:
Thank you all. Lots of great information. I have been thinking of doing a Florida trip, vs. just Disney. That would certainly be a great time to stay offsite for the whole trip. I'll keep researching for this year and see what I come up with. A split stay would be a nice, happy medium.

We are a family of three. We've done both but really like staying at Sheraton Vistana Resort. It's so nice to have a car to get done groceries, eat at outside restaurants, visit the outlet malls. We HATE the busses. It is do much easier with a car. Even when we stayed on site, I rented a car. Yes the roads are busy after fireworks but guess what we a comfortably seated in an air conditioned car...sure beats standing in a crowded bus after waiting for a long time to even get on a bus... I don't really cook on vacation but we buy some sub fixin's, eggs, bacon and bread and some snacks ( fruit, veggies, dip, ) it saves so much money to eat in your room for breakfast. We normally eat a large meal at lunch and then something lite back at the condo for dinner.

We are in DVC and stay onsite. We have a last minute trip and could not get a villa so booked Pop for four nights. I can stay offsite at a good property we have stayed at many times when visiting Sea World for $40-50 less per night and it has breakfast included. The thing is, we are bringing grandson who sometimes naps. Do you all drive back to offsite hotels for midday break? It seems so much easier to take bus back to Disney resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!