off-site campground recommendations

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
Can you please share with me your off-site campground recommendations?

I am considering trying to talk my husband into another trip to WDW in the camper, but between the high cost of the Fort and the wear and tear on our camper driving through Louisiana on i 10, I'm afraid the Fort might be out.

I've read a few reviews of off-site campground that have issues with crime, such as break-ins and theft committed by locals while vacationers are at the parks. We would really like to avoid that. :/

What is a good, safe, clean place to stay that is within 45 minute drive of a given WDW park, yet still safe and nice?

MudQueen22,

If you are still looking to camp somewhere else or still have that camping vibe, I stay at Lake Louisa State Park in Clermont on Fort trips the night before I check in at the Fort. It is a state park and nightly rates are $24 per night and reservations can be made at www.reserveamerica.com. I've stayed there 6-7 times that I can recall. You get off the FL turnpike about a half hour after you get on at Wildwood and then follow Hwy 27 into Clermont. LLSP is close to all your gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Wal-Marts, Lowes,etc. that you have at home.

It has its pros and cons. Pros are nice campground (gravel, some with sewer), nice comfort stations (not air-conditioned), security gate for entry plus the campground is about 2 miles in the interior along a few lakes. It's a 30-minute ride to the MK toll plaza coming in from the West on Hwy 192.

The cons are that it is a popular snowbird destination for folks escaping northern winters so if you are wanting to book a stay November-March, you have to book at the 11-month mark almost to the day. Reservations are site-specific. If you get a sewer hookup and use the trailer instead of the comfort stations, the no-AC is no problem. It is for me because I'm in a pop-up so I use comfort stations. Few sites have much/any shade (rare) and with the summer humidity the conditions may test your trailer's ability to stay cool during the day.

Obviously the time of year depends to people like me (but then I again I don't go to WDW from June 1 - Sep 30 EVER). I would certainly recommend it if you are looking for a safe, clean, affordable place to sleep and don't mind the drive back-forth and paying for parking at the theme parks.

Bama Ed

PS - they have some nice cabins across one of the lakes from the campground which are nice. AC, sleep 6, and costs $120 a night (comparable to a Fort site at some levels but no towing involved). It's a house on stilts off the ground with wood paneling and the interior wood theme.

Last edited:
Thank you! We stayed at Lake Louisa SP one night before checking in on our July 2019 trip. I've had it in my mind, but wasn't sure if it was a good one for the duration of a WDW stay.
Thank you for replying. It is absolutely a beautiful park. Surprisingly hilly.

We did not have issues with our trailer staying cool, but we also have the thermal package and an upgraded a/c unit since we camp mostly in Texas during the summers. We often find that we get cold at night.

Do you think I would need to be concerned with any vandalism or theft while parked at LL? It appears to be secure, like most of the TX parks we have visited. I know some state parks in other states do not have such strict security measures or behavioral standards for guests, so I thought I would ask.

I stayed at LLSP last Fall before coming to the DIS Meet. I wouldn't be worried about theft and security. Gated access/ranger station check in. It is a little farther from WDW than Tropical Palms or the KOA in Kissimmee, but much cheaper.

I've generally found state parks and COE places pretty safe. Campers, for the most part, are a fairly respectful group. I've camped since I was a kid (50+ years). We almost always stay at SP/COE type places and we have never had any problems. You do hear of occasional petty theft things (beer in an outside cooler) that are likely kids. I think the internet and social media blow very limited incidents up where people think that is the norm.

j

1) Lake Louisa is still a good choice.
2) A little bias, as we live 2-miles South of the park.
3) The wife and I visit several times per year for a day's picnic.
4) We then drive a little North and visit the winery in afternoon.
5) Makes a good day!

I have heard Thousand Trails Resort is nice on another forum I'm on. Haven't personally stayed there. Their google review rating is low right now but reading through them, it looks like one family had an issue and rallied all their friends to leave them negative reviews so I'd maybe read the other reviews besides the ones from 2 months ago.

I have heard Thousand Trails Resort is nice on another forum I'm on. Haven't personally stayed there. Their google review rating is low right now but reading through them, it looks like one family had an issue and rallied all their friends to leave them negative reviews so I'd maybe read the other reviews besides the ones from 2 months ago.

1) My development is connected to Thousand Trails.
2) We joined several years to daily use their gym.
. . . not huge, but had device we wanted
. . . they have rowing
. . . they had treadmills
. . . they have weights and weight machines
3) This saved us time driving of the nearest exercise gym.
4) It also saved us battling nasty traffic en-route.
5) It is just a typical RV campground.
. . . several outdoor pools
. . . gym area with several type of exercise apparati
. . . outdoor play area for the kiddies
. . . activity room for games and non-betting cards
. . . list of several outdoor group activities for adults
6) Nothing big or fantastic, but it does have advantages
. . . you join the Thousand Trails association
. . . in SUPER-SLOW times, you might get a day-rate slot
. . . no advance ressie, first-come-first-served
. . . think of this a time-share membership purchase
. . . the lowest rate accesses Southeastern TT campgrounds
. . . they have a several national campgrounds

NOTE on Clermont Thousand Trails:
. . . it is pleasant and the employees are nice folks
. . . you are 1/4 mile from grocery store and two drug stores
. . . you are approx 15-20 minutes from WDW
. . . there are no guarantees of slot availability
. . . when all slots are reserved, you get on a wait-list
. . . in my opinion, it is better to have a firm ressie
. . . Lake Louisa fills up, but usually only at holiday times
. . . however, you might like having a TT campground membership
. . . this is not a property purchase, like a timeshare
. . . it is an annual membership
. . . some folks do get a good ROI on the fees

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter