NY RT84 to 81 to I95 or I95 the whole way to WDW

NandP

Nick D DIS Veteran DVC-BCV
Leaving from Newburgh New York... driving and planning on leaving 3am... which is the better route?
Rt84 to Rt81 down to rt66 to rt17 to I95... or pick up I95 in Jersey (NJTP) and go straight throught on I95 .

Pros / Cons appreciated

Thanks

The big "con" with I-95 is Washington, DC (and to a lesser extent, Baltimore). If you can manage to get beyond both those cities w/o coming close to rush hour, the rest of I-95 is just fine.
I've never taken I-81 route because it's too far out of my way to get over there. Many folks seem to prefer it, especially if you are coming from farther north and can access it easily.
Just be aware--even tho it is somewhat more relaxed and "scenic" than I-95, it ain't exactly like a drive along a country lane!!
We do use it when we go to Montecello and Charlottesville, or into the Skyline Drive area. It's an "older" Interstate Hiway, and there is a ton of truck traffic as well.
I'd add that if I could get to I-81 easily I would probably use that route. Then I wouldn't have to get up at 3:00AM on trip day just to get thru Wash. DC by 6:00!!

I've done both, and as the previous poster said, there are pros and cons for both routes. The BIG hangups for 95 are getting through NYC, then Washington, and further on, Richmond, VA. UGH...then the rest of the way is clear sailing. If you can time it right, you should be fine. Avoid rush hours going through these cities, it's total insanity. On the other hand, the Route 84, 81, 77 route, is riddled with trucks, especially on route 77, plus, it's a mountain route. As the old adage goes "it's six of one, and half a dozen of the other!" Both routes will bring back to 95 where you'll hit a bottleneck of traffic near Jacksonville, and further on getting onto route 4 in Florida. I just did this in March and was delayed in both places for well over an hour just sitting in traffic. Route 95 was not moving. Then, once we passed Daytona, route 4 was a parking lot. I took Route 95 this time, and I did enjoy the drive, but I was escaping the cold weather and I didn't care how I got there as long as I left New England!!! Have a fun and safe trip whatever you decide.

We're driving down from CT next week. We are using the I-84 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to I-4 route.

I suggest you don't pick up I-95 using I-66?. That will add an hour and a half to your trip because you're going East to West, not North to South.

I've heard from many people on these boards and those that responded to my posts say I-84 to I-81, etc. is the way to go.

My cousin just drove it in February and he loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter