November 2017: Dad's Dazzling 60th Birthday trip *here now! Updated with Instagram*

Since I don't have much planning to do at the moment, and all I've really been doing is looking at my past Disney trip pictures obsessively I thought I'd share a few memories.

When I was younger I was never much of a character person, but they've grown on me exponentially. I think meeting Thor at Disneyland in 2013 helped with that. So when I took my college graduation trip to Disney World in 2014 I knew I needed to meet Gaston. My friend and I loved it so much that I visited him a total of 3 times that trip and ended up with some great pictures.

10881566_10100663054835161_7744877329424288819_n.jpg

He was SO close to me and basically backed me into a corner. I was DYING, it was so intense.

10428682_10100663054820191_3420641785825997646_n.jpg

10888891_10100664912227931_5232229796119882561_n.jpg

This picture gives a great idea of just how close he was. I'm surprised I survived it. I was shaking afterward, and I had never experienced that before haha!

Then in 2016 I spent my 29th birthday at Disney World with another friend and my dad. On my actual birthday I got a Magical Moment! When we boarded the bus to Epcot the bus driver asked if I wanted to have a celebration when we got there. I wasn't sure what he was getting at, or if he was just trying to be cute about the park, but of course I agreed. So when we get there, they have a red carpet and balloons at the bus stop! Some lovely CMs let us pick out some little trinkets from a box (they had costume jewelry and pirate stuff), gave us paper FastPasses and took our photo in front of the bus which had Magical Moment scrolling on it. It was SUCH a neat experience and extra cool because it happened on my actual birthday. Later, they sent a printed photo to the room and just yesterday I discovered there were cute little transportation cards in it too. Oh, and they let me keep a balloon - which I gave to a child who looked like they needed cheering up in the park.

12670520_10101046059575591_7753407014243866862_n.jpg

Another great moment happened at Hoop Dee Doo when one of the performers (I can't remember her name) decided to incorporate my dad into the show. She started flirting with him early in and it never stopped. It was so hilarious
12439191_10101042641235971_1401517476305216585_n.jpg

10308240_10101042641305831_1416459016396154320_n.jpg

He even got a kiss at the end!

Whoa, never realized how big all those pictures are :headache:

Anyway, yesterday I booked an Illuminations fireworks cruise for Friday, November 10. Or, I hope I did. It was a bit confusing but I'm pretty sure it was the right thing. This is going to be my treat to dad for his retirement. Trying to decide if I should order some adult beverages for the cruise!

Also I officially added my friend Allie to the reservation, and she bought her plane tickets!

I tried to add a day to just mine and my dad's park hopper but they weren't able to add for just 2 people so we'll have to do that when we check in. And then I also tried to add Allie to one day of our POFQ stay but he wasn't able to do that either so I'll have to add her at the resort when we get there and tell them when she flies in so that she can use Magical Express. It'll be an eventful check-in!

Last edited:
Tomorrow is Fastpass day! Kind of anxious about it because Flight of Passage is already out on our first Animal Kingdom day so fingers crossed I can get it on our second Animal Kingdom day.

We're also considering doing Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on November 9th after we spend the day in Animal Kingdom. It would be kind of fun to do both parties in the same trip.

Hi all! The trip is just 43 days away which means pretty much everything that can be planned is planned. Which is great, and also sad. What do I do to pass the time?

My brother's girlfriend, Shelby, is getting really into the preparing. I told her that Allie and I were planning as Disney-bounding as princesses, and she immediately started shopping for an outfit so that she can Disney-bound as Belle. AND she's trying to convince Aaron to be the Beast. We'll see how that goes.

So far I have plans to Disney-bound as Moana, and Allie will be Merida. Then I think we're going to have a Star Wars day and I plan to dress as R2D2, and Allie will be Han Solo. Not sure what Shelby will go for. If we're lucky we might get Aaron to wear a Star Wars shirt :laughing:

Since FastPasses are all squared away, I thought I'd do an updated itinerary! Oh, also this isn't quite a retirement trip anymore. My dad's work talked him into staying another year (it's a long story), however my dad DOES turn 60 in November, so that's a milestone worth celebrating!

A Dazzling 60th Celebration
Day 1 - October 31, Tuesday - Arrival Day
  • 5:05 pm: Dad and I depart from Kansas City Airport. I work nights and will be at work until 7:15 am on the 31st, so hopefully I'll be able to get a decent amount of sleep before departure. No last minute packing for me, that's for sure!
  • 8:45 pm: Arrival at MCO
    • Check-in to Port Orleans French Quarter
    • We'll have a few last minute details to square away either this night, or in the morning: add Allie on for one night, and add her Magical Express information. Upgrade our tickets to Annual Passes :cloud9:, and possibly buy MVMCP tickets for November 9 if they're still available.

Day 2 - November 1, Wednesday - Resort Hopping & Magic Kingdom (4 pm to 12 am)
  • Possible Kona breakfast
  • Possible lunch at Geyser Point
  • 4:00 pm: Enter the Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween party! This is my first Halloween party, and I'm SO excited
    • I will be dressed as Captain America, and I'm on the lookout for an Avengers shirt for my dad (which I will be forcing him to wear)
  • 3:30-4:30 pm: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP
  • 5:25-6:25 pm: Space Mountain FP
  • 6:30: At this point we could jump in a character line, I suppose. I'm not really into the idea of waiting in line for a couple hours to meet a character. But it would be nice to meet Moana!
  • 8:30 pm: Hocus Pocus stage show
  • 9:15 pm: Boo to You parade
  • 10:15 pm: Happy Hallowishes fireworks

Day 3 - November 2, Thursday - Epcot area (9 am to 9 pm)
  • This day will be pretty laid back. We'll probably go to Epcot and enjoy some Food and Wine.
  • 5:40 pm: ADR at Beaches and Cream
    • I might cancel this, though. I've wanted to go for the longest time, but now the menu just doesn't excite me and the ice cream at Ample Hills Creamery sounds much more my speed.
  • 7:00 pm: possibly see Thor: Ragnarok at Disney Springs. I almost always see Marvel movies on opening night so it's hard for me to pass that up.

Day 4 - November 3, Friday - Relaxation day
  • There's no real plans for this day. I imagine we'll spend some time at Disney Springs.
  • 5:40 pm: Allie arrives at MCO! She has requested dinner at Raglan Road, so we'll likely do that.

Day 5 - November 4, Saturday - Magic Kingdom (9 am to 11 pm)
  • Check out of POFQ
  • And check in to Animal Kingdom Lodge!!
  • 10:45 am: Aaron and Shelby arrive at MCO!
    • I don't know for certain what we'll do until they arrive, but I would be fine with enjoying the atmosphere at AKL.
  • 1:15 pm: ADR at Sanaa.
    • Aaron and Shelby LOVE Indian food, so I'm thinking this will be a big hit. Plus it seems good for vegetarians.
  • 3:35-4:35 pm: Space Mountain FP
  • 5:10-6:10 pm: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP
  • 6:30-7:30 pm: Big Thunder FP
  • 9:00 pm: Happily Ever After fireworks

Day 6 - November 5, Sunday - Animal Kingdom (9 am to 8 pm)
  • 8:30 am - goal is to rope drop and run straight to Flight of Passage (you know, cause everyone else in the world doesn't have that exact same plan)
  • 9:50-10:50 am: Na'vi River Journey FP
  • 11:00-12:00 pm: Kilimanjaro Safaris FP
  • 1:10 pm: Tiffins Rivers of Light package
  • 3:00-4:00 pm: Kali River Rapids FP
    • I only booked this FP because Dad was joking about how we haven't been on it years because I never let him ride it. Alright then, let's ride it and you'll remember why we never ride! It's sooooo short and not worth the soaking. I much prefer Grizzly River Run in DCA.
  • 6:30 pm: Rivers of Light
    • Very apprehensive about this... the reviews leave much to be desired.
  • I imagine after Rivers of Light we'll loop back to Pandora to see it at night

Day 7 - November 6, Monday - MK (9 am to 9 pm) & DHS (9 am to 8 pm)
  • 9:15-10:15 am: Peter Pan's Flight FP
  • 11:15-12:15 pm: Space Mountain FP
  • 1:20-2:20 pm: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP
  • 2:15 pm: Afternoon Tea at Grand Floridian
    • This is just for the girls. I imagine Dad and Aaron will head to DHS, and Aaron will force Dad to ride Star Tours a thousand times
  • Hopefully we can make some same day FPs for DHS
  • 6:45 pm: Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular
    • I hope I like this as much as I liked the previous version. We liked that version so much we returned to DHS later in our trip to watch again

Day 8 - November 7, Tuesday - Epcot (9 am to 9 pm, EMH 9 to 11 pm)

• 9:35-10:35 am: Spaceship Earth FP
  • 11:10-12:10 pm: Mission Space FP
  • 1:00 pm-ish: Head to World Showcase for the all-important Drink Around The World Mission
  • 1:50-2:50pm: Frozen Ever After FP

Day 9 - November 8, Wednesday - Disney's Hollywood Studios (9 am to 8 pm)
  • Gave this day a cushion so that people could sleep in if necessary ;)
  • 11:55 am: Mama Melrose Fantasmic package ADR
  • 2:00-3:00 pm: Rock N Roller Coaster FP
  • 3:00-4:00 pm: Tower of Terror FP
  • 4:55-5:55 pm: Star Tours FP
    • I'm hoping that we can either do standby for Toy Story Mania during the Star Wars fireworks, or score a same day FP by some miracle
  • 8:30 pm: Fantasmic

Day 10 - November 9, Thursday - Animal Kingdom (9 am to 8 pm)
  • So, my friends that are at Disney World the same time as me will also be at Animal Kingdom this day. We became friends on MDE and I noticed that we'd booked almost the exact same FPs for this day, by pure coincidence. We're hoping to at least get our groups together to ride the Safaris
  • 9:45-10:45 am: Kilimanjaro Safaris FP
  • 11:10-12:10 pm: Expedition Everest FP
  • 1:00 pm: probably lunch at Yak & Yeti with our new Landry's membership
  • 2:30-3:30 pm: Flight of Passage FP
    • Yes, I did manage to score the elusive FOP FP!! :woohoo:
  • 7:00 pm: possibly Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party

Day 11 - November 10, Friday - Epcot (9 am to 10 pm)
  • 9:55-10:55 am: Spaceship Earth FP
  • 11:05-12:05 pm: Soarin' FP
  • 12:15-1:15 pm: Living With The Land FP
  • 9:00 pm: Illuminations cruise!
  • 10:00 pm: Illuminations. I'm not a huge fan of this show, so maybe I'll like it more on a boat?

Day 12 - November 11, Saturday - Magic Kingdom (9 am to 9 pm, EMH 9 pm to 11 pm)
  • 10:15-11:15 am: Space Mountain FP
  • 11:20-12:20 pm: Winnie The Pooh FP
  • 12:35 pm: ADR at Be Our Guest
  • 6:15 pm: ADR at Hoop Dee Doo Revue
  • 8:00-9:00 pm: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP

Day 13 - November 12, Sunday - Departure day & Animal Kingdom?
  • 9:15 am: Aaron and Shelby leave
  • 9:45 am-10:45 am: Flight of Passage FP
  • 10:55-11:55 am: Dinosaur FP
  • 12:05-1:05 pm: Expedition Everest FP
    • I don't know if we'll actually feel like going to a park before airport, but I thought we may want to ride Flight of Passage again so I went for it.
  • 7:00 pm: Allie leaves
  • 10:30 pm: Dad and I leave. 13 days of magic complete!

I was just thinking about that! We get in around 8am and I was trying to decide if I want to back my MVMCP bow and shirt in my carry on.

You should just wear them! I actually wore my 60th celebration ears on the plane last time because I didn't want them to get smashed :lmao:

Checking in from over on the AKL thread. I'm so jealous of your trip plans! It sounds like a fabulous time and we are almost never able to get down to WDW for more than 3-4 nights. You did such a great job planning out fp and meals! I think you will be pleasantly surprised by ROL especially if you go in with tempered expectations. I love that show especially after a delicious meal at Tiffins!

And I can't say enough how much you need to follow your hunch over to Ample Hills! :cloud9: I've been counting down the days until I can have more ice cream. Is ooey gooey butter cake popular in Kansas City? I listen to the Be Our Guest podcast and sometimes they mention it being a midwestern thing. I would be so fat if ooey gooey butter cake was more readily available near me! So needless to say it's awesome in the Ample Hills ice cream. I highly recommend the flight :thumbsup2

I hope you will consider writing a TR. sounds like so much fun and an interesting group to follow!

Checking in from over on the AKL thread. I'm so jealous of your trip plans! It sounds like a fabulous time and we are almost never able to get down to WDW for more than 3-4 nights. You did such a great job planning out fp and meals! I think you will be pleasantly surprised by ROL especially if you go in with tempered expectations. I love that show especially after a delicious meal at Tiffins!

And I can't say enough how much you need to follow your hunch over to Ample Hills! :cloud9: I've been counting down the days until I can have more ice cream. Is ooey gooey butter cake popular in Kansas City? I listen to the Be Our Guest podcast and sometimes they mention it being a midwestern thing. I would be so fat if ooey gooey butter cake was more readily available near me! So needless to say it's awesome in the Ample Hills ice cream. I highly recommend the flight :thumbsup2

I hope you will consider writing a TR. sounds like so much fun and an interesting group to follow!

Thanks for checking in! Sorry I somehow missed your response until now.

It was a pain to make plans sometimes... my brother won't ever say what he's interested in doing "how will I know what I want to do in six months?" but then I know he'll get mad if we don't do certain things. Like I dropped Ohana this trip, and he's disappointed about that. At least we can still get bread pudding at Tambu Lounge. I'm glad to hear you like Rivers of Light because it seems to have very mediocre reviews. Fingers crossed we enjoy it!

Funny you should mention following my hunch to Ample Hills, because I just came to write that I am for sure canceling our Beaches & Cream ADR and playing it by ear for dinner but FOR SURE getting Ample Hills for dessert. I'm a huge ice cream fan so why should I settle for a brand I can get in the stores? Plus my NYC friend said it's fantastic and was super surprised to find out there's one at Disney.

I've never actually had ooey gooey butter cake, to my knowledge. The only specialty I know of in Kansas City is BBQ :rotfl:

I actually started an intro to a trip report tonight so I'm definitely planning on doing a trip report (let's see if I can follow through). Which photo sharing service do you recommend?

Well, I've officially lost interest in Beaches & Cream and I'm going to cancel that reservation. Dad sounds pretty interested in Crew's Cup Lounge at Yacht Club, too, so we'll either do that for dinner or fill up on F&W booths. Then I HAVE to get Ample Hills Creamery. Might have to return later in the trip as well cause Allie sounded very interested in it.

Then on my first Animal Kingdom day I managed to score Flight of Passage FPs when Disney increased the amount they distribute :thumbsup2

At least we can still get bread pudding at Tambu Lounge.
Yes and it is so ridiculously cheap compared to the whole cost of Ohana!!! And who can be disappointed after bread pudding?

I've never actually had ooey gooey butter cake, to my knowledge. The only specialty I know of in Kansas City is BBQ
That's so funny. Yes, I knew of the KC barbecue claim to fame but the butter cake thing is new to me. Definitely try it! Oh and Ample Hills lets you try samples before ordering!!! :banana:

Which photo sharing service do you recommend?
I use Imgur (always have for the dis boards) and love it. They have different size image links so you don't even have to resize. I will look for your report!

Is ooey gooey butter cake popular in Kansas City? I listen to the Be Our Guest podcast and sometimes they mention it being a midwestern thing. I would be so fat if ooey gooey butter cake was more readily available near me!

Ok, I just had to tell you that my work has butter cake today! And it's actually my favorite cake they serve, I just forgot it was called that. It's technical name is Kentucky Butter Cake or something like that so maybe that's where it originates? Anyway, this increases my desire to have Ample Hills... probably multiple times.

I got the magical email that our Magic Bands shipped today! It seems so early, but I guess there's really only 28 days until we check into French Quarter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts