*not WDW related* Applying for HC placard for a child

aym4Him

DIS Veteran
Hey y'all,

Our DS has been given a RX by his cardiologist for a blue HC placard. He is 4 1/2 yrs old and was born with multiple heart defects.

Anyway...we live in TX and I saw on the form that it said if you're filling it out on behalf of the disabled person to put YOUR DL number or TX ID number on the form BUT they recommend putting the person's DL or TX ID there so that the placard will be connected to them (that way, it doesn't matter who drives him- If I used my DL then that prohibits DH, inlaws, etc).

I have several friends in the heart community here who were never told this and just put their (whomever was filling out the form) DL number on it and submitted it with no problems. I went to apply in person today and the lady told me I should get my son a Texas ID card (which is another trip to another office b/c she said that office gets really crowded and I have to bring DS with me for pictures, etc). It's only $5 so it's not the cost...it's just the process :)

The office is in another town but I'm thinking I'll just buck up and go. I don't foresee us getting accosted by the police anytime soon b/c of the placard but I guess it's better safe than sorry.

Thoughts? BTW, we would ONLY use the card when DS is in our possession!!! I know how tempting it would be to use it otherwise :). Actually, he does quite well- it would probably be used only when we go somewhere with large parking lots (or theme parks where he would do walking/stroller/walking/stroller). Some days, he'll fight it til we get to the parking lot and then he wants one of us to carry him (like a typical little one). He's a bit too big to carry these days ;)

Thanks for letting me..."vent" isn't the word, b/c I'm not angry or frustrated. I DO, however, wish the literature was a bit clearer. The heart families I spoke of all live within a 20 mile radius of us. It's strange that only the assessor in my county said he needed an ID (ok, not NEEDED but that it was STRONGLY suggested due to losing privileges and the $500 fine).

We are heading to WDW in Nov (as my siggy suggests) for an unintended Wishiversary! We didn't realize we were going one year to the DAY of his Wish trip. Can't wait! We are staying on WDW property for the 1st time!! Our only hiccup is trying to figure out transportation from Pop Century to GKTW for his one day of fun there. We can't NOT go...it truly is the Happiest Place on Earth for him! He still asks if we can go back and play "Dinosaur Miniature Golf, eat at that pretty house (Gingerbread House) and eat lots and lots and lots of ice cream!!"

If y'all have any tips on navigating off WDW property, let me know. We won't have a car (unless we can rent one for that day).

Thanks again!!!!

Amy

Here the link to the Texas handicapped parking permit application:
http://txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/d...bilities-parking-placard-and-or-license-plate
(This is the one linked from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles site and the information page also includes a phone number to call for questions.
http://txdmv.gov/motorists/disabled-parking-placards-plates

http://txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/doc_download/918-basic-facts-for-persons-with-disabilities
On the instructions on the booklet it says:
(7) A person may make application for Disabled Person Identification insignia on behalf of a disabled person who does not possess a Driver’s License or Identification Card issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety. The person making application must include their Driver’s License number or Identification Card number in the space provided on the front of this application. Military personnel on active duty in Texas may show an out-of-state Driver’s License number......

YOU are not the applicant - you are applying in behalf of the applicant, since he is a minor child. So, the person who told you to get your child an ID so you can put your child's ID in there is not correct - a minor child NEEDS someone to apply in their behalf, so even if he has his own state issued ID, the instructions clearly say that the person applying in behalf must include their driver's license number or ID number.
Your driver's license or ID # is just to verify your identity as the person making out the form.

So, his name goes in the applicant spot. If you try to put your name there, it will be rejected because all of the doctor documentation of disability is for your child, not for you.
For the signature area, we have always signed those types of things with our name, followed by "in behalf of" and then a note that we are her parents.
Even if you put your driver's license or ID, the handicapped parking permit will be issued to your child, because he is the one with a disability. The original of the application will show that your child is the one with the disability.

If you want to get an ID for your child that you would use to prove who he is, go ahead. But don't be worried about other family members using the permit when they are transporting your child - if they run into any problem, the file that goes with the handicapped parking permit will show he is a disabled child (if not the card - some states don't include the person's name on the card).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter