not sure if this is the correct board - Magic Bands - pros / cons of putting credit card on it

I don't see any difference between using a credit card and charging on the Magicband. For both, you need self control to manage your spending. I keep all receipts for any purchases to verify anyways. We never carry a balance on our credit cards so for us, it's all about convenience. We use the Magicband wherever possible while at WDW!
This is my view. Some days, I don't bring a bag with me into the park, and I really don't like carrying cash or cards in m pockets. Wearing the MB and being able to charge is just so convenient...and I in no way spend more because I'm using the band rather than a card. I mean, I *still have to pay for everything I buy in the parks*, so I keep track of spending and don't really understand why it would be harder keeping track using a band vs using a card. I can see how easy it might be to overspend using a card or MB vs carrying cash, because with cash visually know how much you have to spend right then, while a card or MB is 'invisible' money. But I use the same amount of control using the MB as I do with my cards...and I really like using the MB because it's so convenient to wear.

I use the MB exclusively for buying food and merchandise. I like the convenience of not having every separate charge on my credit card, that could be up to 10 charges a day, for every meal, snack, beverage, etc. I do still carry an ID, a little cash, and a credit card with me however, in case of problems. As others mentioned it is great for water parks and pools (I leave my cash and credit card in a locker there.) I am planning to upgrade to an AP next trip so I guess I will have that card also.

This is my view. Some days, I don't bring a bag with me into the park, and I really don't like carrying cash or cards in m pockets. Wearing the MB and being able to charge is just so convenient...and I in no way spend more because I'm using the band rather than a card. I mean, I *still have to pay for everything I buy in the parks*, so I keep track of spending and don't really understand why it would be harder keeping track using a band vs using a card. I can see how easy it might be to overspend using a card or MB vs carrying cash, because with cash visually know how much you have to spend right then, while a card or MB is 'invisible' money. But I use the same amount of control using the MB as I do with my cards...and I really like using the MB because it's so convenient to wear.
Exactly. MB or CC, same concept. I don't see the difference. They each give you charging privileges. Only difference is one is a rectangular piece of plastic, the other is a bracelet shaped-piece of rubber. :confused3

Not being sarcastic... I definitely agree with you, but what else is there to charge aside from food and merchandise? I was trying to think of something... LOL
Alcohol! And at WDW prices, those purchases can very quickly add up. Voice of experience :smooth: (and fwiw, those prices "added up" when I was using a card in the days long ago before MBs...I've learned to keep track of costs since then).

Not being sarcastic... I definitely agree with you, but what else is there to charge aside from food and merchandise? I was trying to think of something... LOL

Ah, I've been challenged. How about renting a boat or bicycle at the resort? I've never tried though. A haircut in the MK? Again, haven't tried it.

Ah, I've been challenged. How about renting a boat or bicycle at the resort? I've never tried though. A haircut in the MK? Again, haven't tried it.
Hahaha. I was just curious.

Yeah, I guess stuff like the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (edited for spelling) thing, etc would not be food or merchandise. But why wouldn't you charge that stuff to the MB? Is there a difference? Or did you mean you pay cash for anything other than food or merchandise? Just trying to understand. LOL.

I don't see any downsides to it...

I use it for everything, I do still carry a credit card on me In case of emergency or as a backup.

Edit*
I'll add that the only time I would not use it is if I need the purchase to code as a restaurant..that way I get my bonus points when using a rotating category credit card.

On that same note, I like having the merchandise code as lodging because I get those bonus points.

Last edited:
Whoever told you that at the front desk was wrong. We have been many times and they do not charge your credit card every night. The do it when you check out, IF you hit your limit and when you request.
We have had our cc charged mid trip when our resort limit was only reached halfway. Then it was charged again at check out. Have no idea why. Even with both charges they put through we never reached our resort limit. So it's possible they will put through resort folio charges at any given time.

Is it possible for two adults staying in the same room to each have their own cc attached to their own magic band?

DH and I had several free dining Disney trips. He always refused to put a cc on the room key because he had read of many instances of charges to the cc instead of using the dining plan. I don't get the DDP, any more and always put the cc on my MB. I love the convenience.

It is really nice to be able to charge to your MagicBand because then you don't have to worry about using and losing a credit card or cash. This is especially handy when at the resort pool. You don't have to bring any money down to the pool with you. :)

This. Especially with ditzy teens...which I may or may not know any

A few questions, as we are staying on property for the first time this fall and the kids (17 and 11) haven't had access to "charging privileges" before. I used my Magic Band to charge during a solo stay in January, and it was great (until I got that bill for dinner at Jiko - forgot about that 2nd bottle of wine. Whoops !). I'd much prefer to let the kids charge snacks and souvenoirs when they go out into the parks by themselves, and then just use their gift cards to pay it off at checkout. That way we can combine their 10 giftcards online and just use one master account.

1) Can I set a limit for the kids to charge per day, or is it just a master limit for all of us on one card ?

2) Can I assign different Pin #s to each band ?

3) Can I connect the bands and the credit card online before we arrive, or does it have to be done at a resort ? We are heading straight to Disney Springs, so it would be nice if they could use them right away.

Pros - It's very convenient not to have to pull out a CC at every purchase.

Cons - It's very convenient. We hit our room charge limit in record time because we didn't even think about how much we were spending. We just tapped, signed and went about our business.
Also, you don't get the Disney Visa Discounts at restaurants or stores if you use the magic band. You actually have to show the card to get the discount.

We had to go to the front desk to "renew" our charge limit. It was very inconvenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter