Norway Ports - opinions/help needed!

closetmickey

DIS Veteran
I really want to see Norway, but want a cruise longer than 7 nights. The 2017 11 Night includes the ports of Stavanger and Alesund. For those who have gone...how do those ports compare with the ones we will be missing (Geiranger, and Bergen). I know the 11 night includes Iceland and Scotland - which would be fabulous! - but I'd really love to hear if the 11 night would leave us feeling like we saw enough of Norway as I can't image we would ever get back. Thanks!

This is an excellent thread -- as I am looking and comparing both of those options. Not sure if we'd be disappointed if we don't see Geiranger or Bergen. Thanks for starting this. [Now we just have to hope we can afford it without taking out a second mortgage]

I want to do Norway too, Norwegian Cruise (Jade) have a 9 days from Southhampton, but, its not Disney :( I don't want to do other than Disney.

Geiranger is a deal breaker for me, so we're going to book the 7 night, as lovely as a longer cruise would be.

Geiranger is really a port you shouldn't miss. It is the most scenic and just a gorgeous location. Bergen is also very iconic Norway, with Bryggen. Stavanger is nice, and I did really like Alesund, but you miss out on going into the fjords like you do with Geiranger. Perhaps a back to back is an option if you want longer? But I'd do the 7 night over the 11 if Norway is your priority.

Geiranger is really a port you shouldn't miss. It is the most scenic and just a gorgeous location. Bergen is also very iconic Norway, with Bryggen. Stavanger is nice, and I did really like Alesund, but you miss out on going into the fjords like you do with Geiranger. Perhaps a back to back is an option if you want longer? But I'd do the 7 night over the 11 if Norway is your priority.

My kids aren't out of school in time for the 7 Night :(

Reactions: MUN
We did the inaugural Norwegian Fjords cruise last year and Geiranger was by far our favorite port, not to be missed!!!!

We did the inaugural Norwegian Fjords cruise last year and Geiranger was by far our favorite port, not to be missed!!!!

Good to know I am not off my rocker! :teeth:

I was afraid of that!! Maybe we will look into the Alaska 9 night instead. Just thinking those prices will be through the roof!!:headache:

I agree, cruising into the fjord to Geiranger was a real highlight! However, for me it would not be a deal breaker.

You could always do an excursion from Stavanger to Lysefjord and get a fjord experience, too. And Bergen was lovely, but to me much more typical European city than the the other smaller towns we visited.

All in all it really depends on what you want. Get to know Norway or have a more varied cruise experience with different countries. I would expect the cruise that goes to Iceland to be quite pricey, but for me that it is a really good itinerary, too. The interesting thing will be that there are similarities and culture being shared between Norway, Iceland and Scotland and it might be interesting to explore that, too.

I agree, cruising into the fjord to Geiranger was a real highlight! However, for me it would not be a deal breaker.

You could always do an excursion from Stavanger to Lysefjord and get a fjord experience, too. And Bergen was lovely, but to me much more typical European city than the the other smaller towns we visited.

All in all it really depends on what you want. Get to know Norway or have a more varied cruise experience with different countries. I would expect the cruise that goes to Iceland to be quite pricey, but for me that it is a really good itinerary, too. The interesting thing will be that there are similarities and culture being shared between Norway, Iceland and Scotland and it might be interesting to explore that, too.

Thanks for the suggestion to visit Lysefjord. I'll look into that!:)

We stopped in Stavanger and it was a beautiful town and Lysefjord was wonderful but I'm sad we didn't see Geiranger. I think I would trade Geiranger to also see Iceland though. A little of each...

Lysefjord was lovely, particularly on a small ferry but Geiranger was amazing as a large ship in such a small space. The views from the mountains into the fjord were tremendous. Iconic, even. It shows the power of the glaciers in carving out a space that can accommodate these cruise ships.

I would never say Geiranger was a deal breaker because it's all wonderful but if you can make it to Geiranger, you should.

Clearly I am going to have to be more careful when I use the term deal breaker.... I really did mean just for us it is!:sunny: Iceland air is one of the best options for us to get to Europe too - and they allow free layovers there (its at least a mandatory stopover currently from PDX), so I am also coming from a position of "knowing" we will be in Reykjavik someday.

Clearly I am going to have to be more careful when I use the term deal breaker.... I really did mean just for us it is!:sunny: Iceland air is one of the best options for us to get to Europe too - and they allow free layovers there (its at least a mandatory stopover currently from PDX), so I am also coming from a position of "knowing" we will be in Reykjavik someday.
We are not book yet and I am looking port adventures and air option. I want to look at Iceland air with a day there.

Geiranger was actually the port that sold us on taking a Norway cruise. We are doing a B2B with the Baltic starting June 29th, 2016. I have also booked my excursions with Rodne.no, and they are much cheaper than DCL. One thing you should do is go and read the trip reports from the various previous cruisers...they have posted a lot of pictures, and discuss the various ports. This may help you decide which itinerary you may prefer.

We went on a Wonder 9-night Alaskan cruise in 2014, we LOVED it. Another reason why we thought we would like Norway. We come from the desert, so this kind of scenery just amazed our family....the kids were like "do we have to go back to Vegas"....

Geiranger was actually the port that sold us on taking a Norway cruise. We are doing a B2B with the Baltic starting June 29th, 2016. I have also booked my excursions with Rodne.no, and they are much cheaper than DCL. One thing you should do is go and read the trip reports from the various previous cruisers...they have posted a lot of pictures, and discuss the various ports. This may help you decide which itinerary you may prefer.

We went on a Wonder 9-night Alaskan cruise in 2014, we LOVED it. Another reason why we thought we would like Norway. We come from the desert, so this kind of scenery just amazed our family....the kids were like "do we have to go back to Vegas"....
I can't do the Back to back this year :( we are doing it on 2017 but this time with my mom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter