Non character kid favorites?

jacknsally19

DIS Veteran
I am planning a Mother / Daughter trip for this August. Given that its a very hot time of year, I'm planning on parks in the AM and very leisurely afternoons and evenings. Since this is our approach, I'd like to book one or two fun evening restaurants for my daughter and I. She is 6 to given you an idea of age.... I've already got our one character meal. (I can't handle more than one) and I'm trying to think of something else for another evening. Preferably a meal that isn't impossible to get (like Ohana), but still a good time. I'm open to travelling to resorts / Springs/ etc.

TIA!

Beaches and Cream is fun. I recently took my kids for the first time to Skipper Canteen and they liked the theme there. For a more expensive experience, my daughter loves getting tea with me for the ultimate mother daughter experience at the Grand Floridian at the Garden View tea room (not the princess tea party, just afternoon tea). My kids also enjoyed the waiters' antics at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. Coral Reef restaurant can be fun if your daughter likes to watch fish etc swim.

How about Sanaa at Kidani Village or Bomo or Jiko at AKL where you can go see the animals with night vision goggles afterwards at the savannah path around the hotel grounds?

Definitely Sanaa - great if you get a table by the window to see the animals. Boma, also at AKL but you can go see the animals before or after. Late at night they had night vision goggles to use to see the animals - fun.

We also enjoy WCC - but they are stopping the antics (so sad) but love walking around the WL - you can see the geyser erupt - that too is fun.

If you are at any of the MK resorts late you can see the Electrical Water Pageant. If you enjoy a more upscale dinner you can go to California Grill - you can watch the fireworks - even if you eat earlier - you can come back to see the fireworks.

The Poly is also a great resort - we enjoy Kona cafe - you can get there when they light the torches and walk around the beach.

I am planning a Mother / Daughter trip for this August. Given that its a very hot time of year, I'm planning on parks in the AM and very leisurely afternoons and evenings. Since this is our approach, I'd like to book one or two fun evening restaurants for my daughter and I. She is 6 to given you an idea of age.... I've already got our one character meal. (I can't handle more than one) and I'm trying to think of something else for another evening. Preferably a meal that isn't impossible to get (like Ohana), but still a good time. I'm open to travelling to resorts / Springs/ etc.

TIA!
If you hit up DHS, try Sci Fi Dine in, fun no characters and cool theming. One of our DHS favorites. At Epcot, San Angel Inn has fun theming inside of the Mexico Pavillio, food is hit or miss but if you like Mexican, it's fun.
At MK we like Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch, never had dinner there but I'm sure it's just as good and the toffee cake is really really good! At AK, we've only done QS and had a great meal at Satuli Canteen, our kids like the blue mousse.

Love the idea of Boma or Sanaa..... its been a few years since we stayed at AKL.

I love the idea of Tea but I'm not so sure my DD would like the food there. I'll have to look at the menu.

Teppan Edo, Via Napoli, "high tea" @ GF, Sci Fi, and Flame Tree BBQ for the food and animals, both carved and placed as roof posts and live ones too.

My daughter (7) loves Hoop Dee Doo and Whispering Canyon, though I'm not sure this would make her list with the reduced antics. Her other favorite is Sanaa largely because she loves the bread service but the animal views are great too.

I haven’t been to Sanaa but it’s on our list for next trip with a 6 & 8 year old. I think they would have fun with the bread service, of course the View of the animals and there is a paint dessert on the kids menu that I know my kids would adore.

My vote...sci fi. No characters & lots and lots of air conditioning. Cool place for kids. Now that mine are teens, they still request it.

We also do beaches & cream every trip.

Rainforest Café at AK or the Springs or the Dinosaur theme restaurant at Disney springs.

My dd was scared of Sci Fi until about age 11 but other kids love it - drive in theme with old style sci fi movies.

We first did Hoop De Do when my kids were 5 and 7 and they loved it (just went back at 21 and 23 and they loved it again :) ) Alternately Trails End and then some of the activities at FT Wilderness, or the Backyard BBQ and movie also at Ft Wilderness.

Planet Hollywood is fun, movie themes and a great kids menu including some really cool milkshakes.

Love the ideas above about a meal at AKL with some animal activities.

Fulton's at POR and a carriage ride - not sure of the cost.

Don't rule out a quick serve meal and an evening swim at your own resort - that was often a highlight for my kids.

Ohana or the Luau at the Polynesian.

Not really a meal but the Frozen Dessert party at Epcot is one of our favorites, sweet and savory food (we ate a late lunch and didn't need dinner) and a reserved front row seat for Illuminations followed by an after park ride on frozen ever after. My niece Loved it as did my adult kids - its probably the only paid dessert party I will repeat!

Last edited:
If you are open to not having a full meal you might enjoy afternoon tea at the GF. One year, my DD and I did this and it was fun. She was 7 1/2 at the time and she really liked it. They had fun menu items for her - her tea sandwiches were little PB&Js and she chose hot chocolate for her “tea”. They did a great job catering to her and it was overall a really fun event. I’m not a big tea drinker and it was fun to experience this tradition.

My son loves Sci-Fi, 'Ohana, Coral Reef, and Via Napoli. We have to do at least 2 of these every trip.
Also, we love walking along the Boardwalk area and getting ice cream at Ample Hills Creamery.

Mother and daughter (6yr old). GF Afternoon Tea. If your daughter ever played tea around the house...here you can do it for real with a kid option. I still recall looking at my daughter with the biggest smile. She had a cup up to her mouth which also covered her nose. Her eyes told me how big of a smile she had on her face...I captured the moment with my camera. In her eyes, she was a big girl/princess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter