No upgrades??

manning

Just for that I have requested it
Saw something strange on the resort board. I guess CBR is closing down and, unlike the POFQ/POR closings last year, upgrades will not be offered (for those already booked). Has things gotten so financially tight at Disney that they won't give upgrades, or there are enough rooms at other moderates, or is it just a misunderstanding??

Maybe my memory is going, but I thought one of the big complaints on the resort board last year was that the only time upgrades/discounts were offered was when there wasn't available space at another moderate???

I still think this whole closure is a little wierd, since its mainly for a restaurant upgrade. But maybe its the best way to do it since bookings are down and its generally a slow season.

That aside, assuming the closure needs to happen, I don't think Disney really should be giving away free upgrades to everyone booked at CBR.

But that's assuming the number of people booked at CBR is relatively large. Without knowing what kind of number we are talking about, its really hard to say what the best course of action is.

I can see not upgrading if there is space available at another moderate, but, assuming there isn't any, I can see upgrading. Guest shouldn't be penalized if Disney can't provide like price accommodations. The change is for Disney's convenience.

I haven't seen any reports that Coronado or Riverside are previously booked during this closure. Until then, any complaints about no upgrades are premature, IMRO

I agree. When these cases came up last year, its my understanding that Disney DID offer a free upgrade. Even in the current environment, I'd be very surprised if they didn't do this again.

I still think this whole closure is a little wierd, since its mainly for a restaurant upgrade. But maybe its the best way to do it since bookings are down and its generally a slow season.
If they're going to upgrade anything at CBR, I hope it's the food court. DW and I were at CBR on our honeymoon and later stayed at DXL and CSR, and I liked the central pay station at the other two much better.

I lucked out because I am going to CBR from 8/25-9/3 and will be just missing the closing, but if I were going at the dates they are closing, I would expect an upgrade, for this reason. I can go to any resort I want (I'm not bragging, but its true), I usually switch between Beach Club and CBR because I love the Beach theme, however out of the two, I lean toward CBR because I like the island feel of it, its just my favorite, I really dislike the other moderates so if I had already booked my favorite place, CBR and at the time of booking no one says "oh, we may be closing your resort at that time" and so I pay my deposit (In fact, I pay mt entire bill before I even leave for my trip) and then suddenly because Disney decides they are going to close my resort, I am stuck going somewhere else, I think that I should get something I really like, since they are the ones putting me out....now If i didn't mind the other moderates, that would be different, but I really dislike both CSR and PO, and would not care to stay at either at any time. So in my opinion, Disney should do what it can to accomodate those that will not accept one of the other two mods. Being told that this is where u have to go, after your heart was set on someplace else is a huge letdown. I am not saying the replacement should be a concierge room at any resort, but just a standard room at a choice of resorts, I guess what I am saying is the people who are being "displaced" so to speak, should have some kind of choice beyond the 2 mods, just for their inconvenience, and letdown. Afterall, some people are going for the very first time, and there was alot of research and planning time that went into choosing their resort, we all know how that is...to suddenly have all your plans wrecked just like that deserves some kind of compensation. Just my opinion and like i said it doesn't affect me, but I do hope all those it affects get something magically wonderful for their disappointment, because CBR really is a beautiful resort.

Considering that they haven't started to call the affected guests yet - at least none that have posted - I think its premature to say what they are and aren't going to offer. No sense it getting people all riled up before there is a reason.

Guest Relations will handle the affected guests when there time comes up to be called and I would imagine that it will be on a somewhat individual basis. I'm sure most people will just be moved to another moderate resort, but who knows how the guest will react and how the CM will respond. Nothing is ever across the board at Disney.

We had reservations at CBR for 9/20-9/23 and would have been one of the rooms moved, but we opted to move ourselves at our cost ahead of time. Would I have been disappointed that I couldn't stay at CBR - sure we picked it because that is where we wanted to stay - we have never stayed at that resort together and are trying to stay at all the resorts, but if another moderate room was available - that was what we had paid for originally. We would have been disappointed, but that's the breaks. Fortunately we haven't stayed at AKL yet either and moved our reservation there, but my point is I don't think we would have deserved a free upgrade because of it .

Now upsells are a different thing and in some cases I think this would be a good option for customer service, but I think it should be an upsell, not an upgrade. Heck - back when the resorts were full - that's how we ended up at CSR in 98 - all the other mods were full.

Melissa

Update - calls started today and while it may not be an upgrade its a heck of an upsell that this one poster got over on the resorts board - there were special circumstances involved and like I said before I think Guest Relations will approach this on a case by case basis given availability. (This poster had health concerns and was booked for 15 nights over the holiday.)

$109 for Poly isn't too bad!

Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter