No more bags

jamdisney

Earning My Ears
Forgive me if I missed a post about this already, but my local Disney store said that beginning this week they will no longer have bags. I was told to either bring a reusable bag when I shop or I can purchase one at checkout (.99 I think). The reason given was that they are "going green." I'm all for green initiatives, but this one seems pretty odd to me.

I wonder if this is because you live in a state where all stores will be doing this, or if it will apply at all Disney stores nationwide.

The last day I was in there (sometime in early may) they told me it was the very last day my local store was giving away bags so they gave me extra after me and the cast member bonded over the memories of them

Forgive me if I missed a post about this already, but my local Disney store said that beginning this week they will no longer have bags. I was told to either bring a reusable bag when I shop or I can purchase one at checkout (.99 I think). The reason given was that they are "going green." I'm all for green initiatives, but this one seems pretty odd to me.
Yep, my Disney store started this a month or so ago. On Earth Day they gave away bags with purchase. Our state doesn’t require reusable bags at stores, but it has become the norm around here.

I was told this change was happening soon a couple months ago in Toledo, OH. However, I bought something from them last week (after they said the change would occur) and was given a plastic bag to use with no comment or charge for it.

Interesting - I was in at Disney Store Outlet in Gurnee and we got a bag this weekend. No one mentioned no bags moving forward.

We shopped in Columbus Ohio Disney store in April or early May and they didn’t have bags but you could get a cloth one cheap. Of note it was cheap. I used it to take my shoes to work and it tore after a couple weeks

This practice is becoming more common everywhere, and I’m all for it. Plastic bags are evil for real. They don’t degrade quickly and harm wildlife.

Then provide biodegradable bags for free.

This is a scam.

Cut costs and upcharge customers for something already built into the price of the merch they are buying and claim it as an environmental initiative.

Then provide biodegradable bags for free.

This is a scam.

Cut costs and upcharge customers for something already built into the price of the merch they are buying and claim it as an environmental initiative.
Not giving away plastic bags to cut down on the amount of plastic entering the trash system? Sounds like an environmental initiative to me. Maybe if you ask for a 0.005 cent reduction in your final sales total to account for the cost of your lost bag the cashier can make that happen.

Its not strange at all.
I don't believe it really has to do with Disney though.
Many cities/counties/states have started doing this.
Personally I'm not a fan of this initiative but then again I reuse and/or recycle them.
If I stop getting them for free with purchases then I'm just going to buy them in the form of garbage bags etc so I'll still be using plastic bags so what's the difference?

That is annoying. I feel like stores think you are going to steal something when you bring your own bags. Especially Walmart, ours will ask to check them when you leave. And many times when I'm shopping at the mall, it is not a planned trip. I guess I shouldn't worry, I can always pay $.99 to get a bag.

Many grocery stores tried this same initiative during the recession, by giving a small discount for brining your own bags. Our local stores all quietly dropped the practice.

I can't help but be skeptical at the way that they are choosing to 'go green.' The parks alone are using incredible amounts of the world's resources. Have they considered switching to paper bags, which would be better than no bag? I can't imagine that the average person shopping in a mall is going to have their own bag but they're also not going to want to walk around with purchases in their hands. So what will happen? Disney will sell a lot of those cheap bags.

lol going " green "

I'm not carrying around reusable bags with me everywhere I go, just incase I decide to go shopping

If you're not going to give me a bag to carry all the stuff I was going to buy from you, then I won't buy from you.. Simple as that

If there are people who love to carry around reusable bags, then heres to you, but don't force it upon me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!