No more “real” glasses and mugs?

dopeynme

DIS Veteran
Hi, all!

DH and I are just back from 4 nights in a studio at Saratoga. There were paper cups and plates but no glasses and mugs. We asked the housekeeper for some, because we assumed it was an oversight. He was very sweet but said there are only paper cups now. They did seem to be heavy, high quality cups but not the same as coffee in a real mug.

Anyone know anything about this? I wondered if it might be related to the change to daily trash service. If they have to hit every room every day, maybe no time to be removing and replacing mugs?

He did collect trash every day and we got new towels on day 4.

Hi, all!

DH and I are just back from 4 nights in a studio at Saratoga. There were paper cups and plates but no glasses and mugs. We asked the housekeeper for some, because we assumed it was an oversight. He was very sweet but said there are only paper cups now. They did seem to be heavy, high quality cups but not the same as coffee in a real mug.

Anyone know anything about this? I wondered if it might be related to the change to daily trash service. If they have to hit every room every day, maybe no time to be removing and replacing mugs?

I could be wrong, but I think studios have always had paper goods, as there is no dishwasher in the room.

They took mugs and glasses away from studios once before. I remember outrage, and they were returned.

As long as there were dishwashers to provide sanitary mugs and glasses, we were told Studios would have the real glasses and mugs.

We have stayed in studios twice over the last 2 1/2 years and always had paper plates and cups. I just always assumed that was how studios were equipped as there was no dishwasher and no real way to prepare much food anyway so it didn't matter.

I thought I was going crazy.

We just got back and had paper. But I swore that I remember having real cups and glasses. I figured that I was wrong.

I guess I have to put glasses in my Disney bin. I already have mugs in there because I like a larger mug with Pooh Bear on it.

We had real glasses and mugs in a studio at BWV over New Years.

How many paper cups did you get? We don't always need a plate for breakfast, sometimes a paper towel for a bagel is good enough. But we always always need those mugs for coffee. There are times we have several cups of coffee in the morning, cup of tea in the afternoon and perhaps in cooler weather , hot chocolate at night. That's at 6 cups for us for one day.

How many paper cups did you get? We don't always need a plate for breakfast, sometimes a paper towel for a bagel is good enough. But we always always need those mugs for coffee. There are times we have several cups of coffee in the morning, cup of tea in the afternoon and perhaps in cooler weather , hot chocolate at night. That's at 6 cups for us for one day.
We got 6 for hot, plus 4 for cold.

Since I already pack larger mugs, the problem was making mixed drinks. Those little paper cups were just too small for us. And our mugs were dirty. So, every time we wanted to switch what we were drinking, we had to wash our mugs. Which, overall is okay, but in the moment, I just want a cold drink.

I wonder if there was a problem with the cups/mugs only at SSR. I would think if it was in other resorts there would be more postings here. I'm hoping that's what is was.

That number of cups would last us two days at the most.

Hi, all!

Just stayed at SSR Studio this past weekend 2/16-2/19. There were paper plates and bowls, but no cups at all. We didn't bother to ask for any because we didn't really have a need for them. I just poured the coffee into my thermos. So I do not know if they would have provided them had we asked. I assume they would, but it seems to becoming a trend...

Just stayed at SSR Studio this past weekend 2/16-2/19. There were paper plates and bowls, but no cups at all. We didn't bother to ask for any because we didn't really have a need for them. I just poured the coffee into my thermos. So I do not know if they would have provided them had we asked. I assume they would, but it seems to becoming a trend...

Well, that's awful. I don't care if you didn't need them, it bothers me greatly when it's stated you will get certain items in the room and items are missing.

Last trip we were in one room for 9 days, so we had servicing twice. Neither time brought us plates, bowls or utensils. The second visit we got fresh towels and trash was taken and that was it, no toiletries, no coffee, no nothing. I called on the second time.. Housekeeping brought a bag of stuff. I dumped it out on the bed, toiletries, coffee, tissues, toilet paper, but no paper plates, bowls,. By this time it was later in the evening and I didn't want to call and have plates brought at 11 at night. I did speak with front desk the next morning.

Well, that's awful. I don't care if you didn't need them, it bothers me greatly when it's stated you will get certain items in the room and items are missing.

Last trip we were in one room for 9 days, so we had servicing twice. Neither time brought us plates, bowls or utensils. The second visit we got fresh towels and trash was taken and that was it, no toiletries, no coffee, no nothing. I called on the second time.. Housekeeping brought a bag of stuff. I dumped it out on the bed, toiletries, coffee, tissues, toilet paper, but no paper plates, bowls,. By this time it was later in the evening and I didn't want to call and have plates brought at 11 at night. I did speak with front desk the next morning.
Yeah, I agree we should have had them. Definitely not something that should happen. I only mentioned that because it didn't impact our stay this time. I can and I'm sure it will in the future. I'll make that clear on my survey if I ever get one...

I wonder if there was a problem with the cups/mugs only at SSR. I would think if it was in other resorts there would be more postings here. I'm hoping that's what is was.

That number of cups would last us two days at the most.

I believe that the last time this happened it started at SSR and maybe OKW but then was implemented at all WDW DVC's. The story was about being able to sanitize the mugs and glasses. blah blah blah They had been doing it, someone decided more cost efficient to switch, write in's, suddenly they could do it again. SSR and OKW were held up as being difficult to do this at but they have food facilities and housekeeping facilities just like all other locations. The cost and waste and additional amounts required for paper cups vs having reusable mugs and glasses - well, IMO they should stick with mugs and glasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!