"No Diapers in Disney"

We had that rule for our older kids, who are 3 years apart, so their first trip was at 7 (a tad too old, IMO - he already saw through the character magic) and 4. Then our youngest came along when the older kids were 10 & 7. Not traveling until she potty trained was absolutely out of the question, so we resigned ourselves to traveling with diapers and a stroller for the first time. DD was 16 months on our first trip and it was fabulous. Her second trip, about a year later, was even better. Little kids experience Disney in such a unique way and I was really glad we decided to take her rather than waiting, even if it was done more for the older kids' sake than for her own.

My opinion & how we think as a family...

I've made trips when my kids were 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, & 2 years. Our trip next month our kids will be just turning 3 & 18 months. Honestly, the younger they are the easier they are. Disney has excellent baby care centers and I wouldn't not go to Disney just because of diapers. Especially since it's so much fun & brings so much joy to watch your little one light up on Small World, or wave at Mickey Mouse, etc. Also, kids a free under three! This next trip my DS turns 3 on our third day of our 12 day trip, but because he will be 2 when we check in he's considered 2 for our entire trip. HUGE money savings. Not to mention, I'm dreading that this trip my son will be newly potty trained & we'll probably be making inopportune bathroom trips like crazy! Also, if you're planning to have another, does that mean your first born will have to wait to go again until their sibling is out of diapers? I really would reconsider. Traveling with kids, at any age, isn't easy but so worth it! We are huge into travel & when our kids came along, that didn't change, our kids adapted and traveled with us. My kids are both still under three and they've been to Puerto Rico, two Caribbean cruises, visited friends and family in multiple states, road trip vacations, family-friendly weddings, multiple trips to WDW.... We've built such fun great memories already with them. Yeah, it's a bit more work but the memories are so worth it. Even if they don't remember it, they'll have the pictures and videos. Plus, life is short. I want my parents to have as many memories with my kids before the day they can't keep up anymore. Let the Grandparents enjoy their loves- Disney & their grandchild!

whatever floats your boat. I took my kids when they were about 6 months and onward,and we all had fun. I'd do it again too...in fact we're going with family next year,and we'll have two under two in our group. I'm looking forward to it.

Didn't take ours until they were 6 and 8. My DD was a really challenging baby and toddler and any travel with her was miserable. Then I went to nursing school and we didn't travel a few years. If I could do it all over again I would take them a little younger. At 8 DD wasn't as into the princesses etc and I'm a little sad we missed that.

If you decide to do diapers at Disney (or any on the go locations), here is my tip: A gallon size ziplock containing a diaper and disposable changing pad (can be found in the adult incontinence aisle). Squeeze the air out of the ziplock and put them in a backpack, diaper bag, or stroller bin.

When you head to the changing area, grab a ziplock and wipes. Put the pad down on the changing table (so nice not to put baby down on questionable surface) and pull out the clean diaper.

Dirty diaper plus dirty wipes go back in the ziplock, get sealed and put in the trash. This is particularly handy if you have to change in a non-conventional location (car, etc) as it seals away the smelly stuff, until you can throw it away.

If you are squeezed for space you can put 2-3 wiped in a snack sized baggie and included it in the gallon size bag for one grab process. They will stay moist as long as bag is sealed.

I agree with those who say it's easier in some ways to go in diapers. Stroller is the same thing -- there are advantages like knowing exactly where your kid is, a place to keep your stuff, and you can lean on it when tired.

Last edited:
I just had a baby girl on September 1st and her first Disney trip was being planned before she was born! We are going for my mom's birthday and my daughter will be 6 months old. My husband and I love Disney so much that I don't think we could wait until our daughter is out of diapers.

Sure, she won't remember the trip. But we will remember it, and my mom will remember it! I think everything depends on what your family is comfortable with.

If you decide to do diapers at Disney (or any on the go locations), here is my tip: A gallon size ziplock containing a diaper and disposable changing pad (can be found in the adult incontinence aisle). Squeeze the air out of the ziplock and put them in a backpack, diaper bag, or stroller bin.

When you head to the changing area, grab a ziplock and wipes. Put the pad down on the changing table (so nice not to put baby down on questionable surface) and pull out the clean diaper.

Dirty diaper plus dirty wipes go back in the ziplock, get sealed and put in the trash. This is particularly handy if you have to change in a non-conventional location (car, etc) as it seals away the smelly stuff, until you can throw it away.

If you are squeezed for space you can put 2-3 wiped in a snack sized baggie and included it in the gallon size bag for one grab process. They will stay moist as long as bag is sealed.

I agree with those who say it's easier in some ways to go in diapers. Stroller is the same thing -- there are advantages like knowing exactly where your kid is, a place to keep your stuff, and you can lean on it when tired.

I think many diaper bags these days come with a changing pad. Mine did.

At Disney, I doubt there would ever be a need to change a diaper in an unconventional place. We never ran into a situation where a diaper change was needed and we couldn't get to a restroom, although having a ziplock or deodorized disposable bags is a good idea.

Your process is a good one, though. It's always interesting to me to hear what other people do!

I think many diaper bags these days come with a changing pad. Mine did.

At Disney, I doubt there would ever be a need to change a diaper in an unconventional place. We never ran into a situation where a diaper change was needed and we couldn't get to a restroom, although having a ziplock or deodorized disposable bags is a good idea.

Your process is a good one, though. It's always interesting to me to hear what other people do!

I never carried a traditional diaper bag and liked the freedom of having the ability to stick a few diaper "kits" in bags or just the stroller. I also like the disposable changing pads as I don't want to fold up a pad that was on a restroom changing table and put it back in my bag (not nearly as germaophibic as I sound!), though it's not the most green solution.

I also kept similar kits in the car or stroller for non-Disney outings, as I agree you can generally get to a restroom in Disney! :)

I never carried a traditional diaper bag and liked the freedom of having the ability to stick a few diaper "kits" in bags or just the stroller. I also like the disposable changing pads as I don't want to fold up a pad that was on a restroom changing table and put it back in my bag (not nearly as germaophibic as I sound!), though it's not the most green solution.

I also kept similar kits in the car or stroller for non-Disney outings, as I agree you can generally get to a restroom in Disney! :)

Ah, gotcha. I'm actually a bit of a germaphobe (my son is on a daily steroid nebulizer which suppresses his immune system). But my diaper bag has a separate compartment for the pad so it's not touching the rest of the contents of the bag (otherwise...totally agree...gross). And I always use the same side of the pad to change him on (there's a tag on one side that's not on the reverse).

My diaper bag is backpack style and has a little tab on each compartment with a little picture of what goes inside. And the wipes compartment is accessible from the exterior of the bag. My sister recommended this particular bag to me. She said she wished she'd gotten it when she had her first baby. It's an awesome bag for clueless, disorganized moms like me!!!

Ah, gotcha. I'm actually a bit of a germaphobe (my son is on a daily steroid nebulizer which suppresses his immune system). But my diaper bag has a separate compartment for the pad so it's not touching the rest of the contents of the bag (otherwise...totally agree...gross). And I always use the same side of the pad to change him on (there's a tag on one side that's not on the reverse).

My diaper bag is backpack style and has a little tab on each compartment with a little picture of what goes inside. And the wipes compartment is accessible from the exterior of the bag. My sister recommended this particular bag to me. She said she wished she'd gotten it when she had her first baby. It's an awesome bag for clueless, disorganized moms like me

I wouldn't put my life on hold because of diapers. Children at Disney present challenges at all ages I'd just roll with them

And as for lugging diapers you have a stroller thats the easiest time to carry anything.

If the grandparents are buying, I'd go when you're comfortable! I wouldn't find it fun to take a baby who naps twice a day but each to their own.

My middle one was 15 months when we went. We made the other two wait until they were 2 years old. Taking a new walker to Disney is not fun to me. They constantly want out of the stroller to explore making it a challenge to keep up with them in a crowd.

Go when you want to go. Don't wait for a perfect age, perfect time, perfect situation. Perfect doesn't exist. There will be pros and cons no matter what. Unless you think you will only go once in your life, go when you want and when you can. Life is short. Take the trip.
100% this!

My middle one was 15 months when we went. We made the other two wait until they were 2 years old. Taking a new walker to Disney is not fun to me. They constantly want out of the stroller to explore making it a challenge to keep up with them in a crowd.

That depends on the kid, though. My son is very curious...likes to get into closets, empty drawers, etc. At Disney, his favorite thing was the playground under the railroad near Splash Mountain. But he's also quite content in the stroller. It's only on a very rare occasion that he tries to climb out. Not all kids are alike.

Several thoughts on this subject, some of which are contradictory:

- This won't be a popular answer on this site: We chose not to travel much until our kids were young school age. Up until kids are 4-5, traveling is an awful lot of work: So much to transport, and the kids aren't all that excited about breaking away from their comfortable at-home routine. Up until this age, kids seem to enjoy the hotel pool more than anything else. Foregoing travel for a couple years wasn't a big deal. We were focused on early-childhood things at home, and we were focused on stashing money away while they were young (we aren't high earners, but we had their college educations stashed away before they finished elementary school). We did lots of near-home hiking trips, visits to museums and local events, etc. while they were young ... and once they were old enough to walk long distances, understand how to wait, and use the restroom reliably, we made up for the "at home years". My kids have experience a wide variety of travel and have definitely traveled more than the majority of their friends.

- Diapers aren't a big deal at all -- you'll learn how to manage them quickly, and rarely will you experience a blow-out situation. However, potty training is a GIANT pain in the ... well, you know. For perhaps a year after potty training, your life will be about visiting all the public restrooms ... and staying there half an hour at a time. Although a diapered child may fill his diaper and be unhappy about it, and although you may need to get him to a bathroom for a clean-up, you're not going to experience the same level of stress as you'll experience while rushing a newly potty-trained kid to a bathroom before he has an accident. And changing a diaper isn't nearly as much effort as removing training pants /changing soiled clothing.

- While diapers aren't a big deal, other baby and toddler related items are a big deal. Strollers, baby strollers, food, lack of ability to wait in line, fear of dark rides ... these things, not diapers, will kick your butt while traveling with small kids.

Go when you want to go. Don't wait for a perfect age, perfect time, perfect situation. Perfect doesn't exist. There will be pros and cons no matter what. Unless you think you will only go once in your life, go when you want and when you can. Life is short. Take the trip.
Totally disagree. For any given vacation, you may not find a "perfect" time /age ... but you can absolutely identify times that are better than others.

For example, early in our kids' lives, we set a goal to take a cross-country driving trip. We wanted to rent an RV (ended up changing that detail) and visit lots of western national parks (we're an East Coast family, so this was going to be a lengthy, expensive vacation). We decided we wanted the kids to be old enough to enjoy long hikes ... old enough to endure lengthy stretches in the car ... old enough to have memories of a once-in-a-lifetime trip ... old enough to participate in some of the more mature events we wanted to enjoy (for example, some shows in Vegas) ... but not so old that they'd have to be pulled away from summer jobs ... and not old enough to drive so they wouldn't fuss about not being able to drive the rental car. And we needed a couple years to save for that big trip. We decided to do the trip when our two were 11 and 14, and the timing was perfect.

I think often the "a perfect time will never exist" is often used as an excuse for adults to do what they want NOW, when waiting might be a better option.

Totally disagree. For any given vacation, you may not find a "perfect" time /age ... but you can absolutely identify times that are better than others.

For example, early in our kids' lives, we set a goal to take a cross-country driving trip. We wanted to rent an RV (ended up changing that detail) and visit lots of western national parks (we're an East Coast family, so this was going to be a lengthy, expensive vacation). We decided we wanted the kids to be old enough to enjoy long hikes ... old enough to endure lengthy stretches in the car ... old enough to have memories of a once-in-a-lifetime trip ... old enough to participate in some of the more mature events we wanted to enjoy (for example, some shows in Vegas) ... but not so old that they'd have to be pulled away from summer jobs ... and not old enough to drive so they wouldn't fuss about not being able to drive the rental car. And we needed a couple years to save for that big trip. We decided to do the trip when our two were 11 and 14, and the timing was perfect.

I think often the "a perfect time will never exist" is often used as an excuse for adults to do what they want NOW, when waiting might be a better option.

I think that's true of certain vacation destinations (such as the one you described). But for Disney...I don't think there's really a perfect age to visit because there's something for everyone. Really little kids obviously can't go on some of the rides (plus there's the extra work for the parents with diapers, naps, etc.). Older kids may have aged out of really wanting to meet characters.

I admit that when we took our son at 18 months, it was more for us than for him. But he truly had a blast. He was all smiles every day (except when we drug him away from the Splash Mountain playground). The look on his face when he saw Mickey for the first time was pure magic. It was one of those rare occasions when I felt like I was really winning at parenting. I'll remember it fort he rest of my life.

This was our experience. I have no idea if this is usual; it's just what we encountered.

We took our oldest when she was 5 months, and then again at 16 months. The first trip was a large family trip that was planned before I knew I was pregnant. We were there the week of Christmas. I was nursing, so no need for milk or formula. That being said, I learned to nurse on the go whenever I needed to, because the family/baby stations were often on the other side of the park. When they were close, they were convenient -- clean, quiet, etc. We had a large jogging stroller, and it provided all the privacy that we needed for diaper changes. It also laid flat, so she could nap. Half of the time, I wore her in a carrier, and she was super happy. Diapers were not an issue. Our issues were late reservations (or table reservations in general), any activity after 7 pm, fireworks, and some characters (she was super frightened at Tusker House, and on the safari). We did ride switch but she always seemed to be eating when it was my turn. She slept through Cinderella's Table, Hoop De Doo Review, and Biergarten. All in all, it was a nice trip but we had to deviate from our plans, and we didn't spend as much time with the rest of the family as we would have liked, because they were at Fantasmic, etc.

The second trip was also in December. I was pregnant with #2, and she was in full-on toddler mode and could not be contained. She slept through every character meet and greet, threw fits, and barely made it through restaurants (and we take her out to them weekly, so it wasn't anything new). Diapers were difficult, because she was too old to be changed in the stroller. The milk situation was also difficult, because she needed special milk (soy) that was not available at the parks, and it was hard to keep on ice. We bailed on the last day and spent time at the pool. After that trip I vowed that we would only return when #2 was out of diapers. Lucky for us, she potty trained fast, and we are headed back the week before Christmas. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!