Newsies Broadway Musical question

Neon Cactus

Old Run Disney Addict
Does anyone know if, since Disney released the Broadway musical version in theaters for a few days this year, is it eligible for awards like Golden Globes? I'd think that most of the songs are from the original film so those probably wouldn't, but it would be cool if they were eligible for a Golden Globe for Best Comedy/Musical, as well as Jeremy Jordan and Kara Lindsay's performances. I was never a big fan of the movie, but I took my daughter to see it in the theaters and bought the digital download and it's outstanding.

I was hoping for that too. I did email Disney about the award possibility and got a quick response. Newsies isn't eligible for a Golden Globe or Academy Award because it was an event film and wasn't released for at least 7 consecutive days to qualify as a feature film. But it is eligible for a Grammy for Best Music Film and they are getting the ball rolling on that. Of course, it will likely go up against Beauty and the Beast. A win by either is good for Alan Menken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!