News Round Up 2017

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by rteetz, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

2. rteetz

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. mum22girlz

mum22girlz Mouseketeer

It looks like Movies Anywhere is live.

5. rteetz

Yep, already downloaded it. Disney Movies Anywhere will go away and merge with Movies Anywhere for those that have that.

6. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Well, the other option is you try new stuff with a lower budget - like all the Blumhouse horror movies, the first ones always have very low budgets. Disney doesn't seem to be able to do anything with a low budget. Even animation, Dreamworks spends a lot less on their films than Disney does (not saying they are the same quality as Disney but you could alternate with a full blown/high-end one and a lower budget one that takes more of a chance on an original concept.)

mikepizzo likes this.
  7. rteetz

8. OhioStateBuckeye

OhioStateBuckeye DIS Veteran

I really agree with this. If you have an interesting idea and maybe pull in an old actor who people remember but hasn't been working lately (ie Ethan Hawke for The Purge) you've spent around $5 million and make over $100 million domestically.

I'd love to see Disney make a movie about kids/teenagers in the vein of older kid adventure movies. I feel like they could do this without spending more than a few million.

9. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Something like the Goonies or even something like Stranger Things would be really cool

Heck, I'd even take a movie version of Kingdom Keepers

10. mikepizzo

mikepizzo PM me your funny Disney shirts

It's weird that more studios don't go the Blumhouse route.

More often than not those Blumhouse movies make well more than their budget.

I'm growing less and less hopeful that someone will make a Star Wars movie that won't be called Star Wars.

Meaning, there could be someone out there that has the best idea for a franchise that will work, but it's not based on anything so the studio's won't give it the attention, time, or money it deserves.

With Stranger Things and IT being hot right now, you'd think they would want to capitalize on the trend. Pump out a movie like Goonies, don't be afraid to scare children a little.

EDIT: @TheMaxRebo beat me by less than a minute :)

MissGina5, MommaBerd and TheMaxRebo like this.
  11. skier_pete

skier_pete DIsney-holics Anon

I've always thought studios should look at more mid-budget movies. I think the reason they don't is that a $20 million movie that makes $150 million is still not as good as a $250 million movie that makes $1.4 BILLION.

It was sort of a shame the way back in the nineties there were all these indie studios, and then the big studios bought the indie studios up, and when they weren't making enough money, the shut them down. (I'm talking about studios like Miramax.)

The fact is, a company like Disney isn't going to do "little" anymore. You have to look to places like Hulu and Netflix for this kind of stuff.

And let's not wish that Disney tries to mimic Stranger Things and IT lead to a whole bunch of terrible "80s inspired kids in peril" stuff. I mean Stranger Things was amazing, but so lightning in a bottle. Disney trying to do this would be absolutely terrible.

12. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

maybe we just have to wait until they get their streaming system out and then I could see some small/mid budget movies go straight there and save the movie theater releases for the big movies

and they can do new serials too ... I mean, Star Wars Rebels, while a cartoon, was/is really pretty good

13. Capang

Capang DIS Veteran

I figured as much. I won't lie, it was really neat to see it sitting there on the tracks. Can't wait for our summer trip.

TexasKiwiPrincess and rteetz like this.
  14. OhioStateBuckeye

OhioStateBuckeye DIS Veteran

Kingdom Keepers would be interesting because they'd have to use the parks.

Speaking of that, do you watch the new Mickey shorts? I love them and they use lots of elements from the old Mickey cartoons and the parks. Their latest episode involved Mickey and Minnie going on the Big Thunder Mountain train (though not really, you'd have to watch) and seeing the old Nature's Wonderland and it even used a scene from the DL railroad Grand Canyon.

It's not that I want them to go the nostalgia route...It's more like I wish more studios could make kids movies where it doesn't involve the adults acting like brainless idiots. Something more real. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone since the Goonies did outrageous stuff, but the kids still felt real.

I feel like the big budget movies survive more on their toy/clothing sales than the actual movie themselves. I don't think IMDB even includes marketing in the budget for a movie. Sometimes I think even those billion dollar movies can have razor thin profit lines, then just make a ton in toy sales.

I am excited about all of Netflix's original content. Oftentimes I find myself going to Netflix for their original, low budget movies because I find them more entertaining than what is in theaters.

I kind of explained about where I was trying to go with my kids type movies. Not sure if I explained it super well though. I don't really need them to go for the nostalgia...just make something new and interesting and good.

mikepizzo likes this.
  15. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I've seen a few but don't watch them regularly - sort of have mixed feelings on the style. That is neat that they reference the parks though

16. rteetz

17. rteetz

18. MissGina5

MissGina5 DIS Veteran

They might for their streaming service! They said they would be putting exclusive content on there and I sort of assummed thats where they were headed with that

19. writerguyfl

writerguyfl DIS Veteran

It's been quite some time, so my memory of this may be questionable. But, back when I worked for Mickey, I asked a follow Cast Member who worked in retail about this 4 cent difference. I was told it was a method used to track the age of the merchandise. If something doesn't sell, it the price gets changed (+/- 4 cents). When space is needed for new items, the old stuff gets sent to the outlets. Instead of scanning SKU codes, they can just grab everything based on the last number of the price.

Like I said, I'm not guaranteeing that information is correct. It's just what I remember.

20. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing - interesting concept and at least provides a reason

writerguyfl and STLstone like this.
  21. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

I think you were dead on, but I'm glad movies like Moonlight still get made. I feel like the Oscars force the studios to make better movies, and I'm ok with that.

LoganBrown1990 likes this.