News Round Up 2017

A tad off topic but I was at Magic Kingdom today for extra magic hours and decided to ride space mountain just before park closing. For some reason most of the lights were on and I could see the whole track and inside of space mountain. Im not sure if they were having technical issues or they were just getting ready to close the ride down for the night. But since I rode space mountain thousands of times, it was a real nice treat to complete my day.

Whenever we are in MK and notice Space Mountain is down, we book it to People Mover to get our look at the Space Mountain track. I've never actually been on Space Mountain with the lights on. That's neat!

Whenever we are in MK and notice Space Mountain is down, we book it to People Mover to get our look at the Space Mountain track. I've never actually been on Space Mountain with the lights on. That's neat!

A long time ago I saw it with lights on and I really wish I hadn't. To a certain extent it kind of destroys the illusion. The track and core Space Mountain coaster is not very impressive. The theming, lighting, and special effects are what makes it special.

What I have never seen and often wonder is how much of the tower of terror is theming versus ride? Do you really fall that far? I honestly have no idea.

I rode Space with the lights on once. I found it much more scary than with the lights out. You really get to see how close you are to the track. It sure doesn't seem like there is much headroom, or course if you are properly buckled down there doesn't need to be. But yeah, it's not a great ride with the lights on, but it sure will surprise you how close all the track is on top and the sides of you.

The DPB has some more details out on Grand Avenue - including confirmation that Muppets Courtyard will be going away and rethemed as an extension of the area

The current Muppets Courtyard will become Grand Park, an urban square off Grand Avenue surrounded by shops and restaurants like PizzeRizzo and Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano. Guests can already see changes in the area, with the Muppets theater being renamed “Grand Arts Theatre” and boasting a brand-new marquee. But, not to worry – Kermit, Miss Piggy and the gang continue to star in their hilarious and irreverent “Muppet*Vision 3D” show.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nue-coming-soon-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

they very nearly had something going with the 2011 movie, but then muppets most wanted and the rebooted TV series couldn't quite hold that same momentum... which is a shame, because all of them shared the same top-notch writing as the original series and movies

i'm glad the muppets are here to stay in orlando, even if they're becoming a bit more low-key. looking back, i get the feeling muppet courtyard was a temporary name--they must've been planning grand avenue since the streets of america shut down

The DPB has some more details out on Grand Avenue - including confirmation that Muppets Courtyard will be going away and rethemed as an extension of the area

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nue-coming-soon-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/
so, (and sorry if you've all discussed this at length - life has gotten in the way of me reading each post...) - are they going to KEEP part of the original STREET from the New York section for Grand Avenue, or just where is it going to be? Is there a map of how this all fits with the Star Wars and Toy Story build?

What I have never seen and often wonder is how much of the tower of terror is theming versus ride? Do you really fall that far? I honestly have no idea.
I read somewhere that each ride contains a "full" 13 story drop, and one "fake" fall (where the elevator drops slightly and stops) but the rest of the ride is completely random

I read somewhere that each ride contains a "full" 13 story drop, and one "fake" fall (where the elevator drops slightly and stops) but the rest of the ride is completely random

The drop sequences are computer controlled since about 2001...they have the ability to vary/randomly select the sequences

That is current and future of ride systems: such as the trackless that will be invading wdw starting now. Variation is the spice of life.

The drop sequences are computer controlled since about 2001...they have the ability to vary/randomly select the sequences

That is current and future of ride systems: such as the trackless that will be invading wdw starting now. Variation is the spice of life.
Yup. ToT was/is really ahead of its time in many ways. It's my favorite ride on property, partly because I think it's true imagineering story telling and innovation at its peak

so, (and sorry if you've all discussed this at length - life has gotten in the way of me reading each post...) - are they going to KEEP part of the original STREET from the New York section for Grand Avenue, or just where is it going to be? Is there a map of how this all fits with the Star Wars and Toy Story build?

I think it seems like they are trying to do a bit of a California adventure style overlay...it makes sense...as the rumored drop of the "studios" moniker would lead to more California geographic ties and less references to "studio lot" type things.

I'm interested in this...as MGM has always been Disney's worst park as far as transitions in theme have gone.

I would say tower, splash, and haunted mansion/pirates are perhaps the greatest park rides ever created...the perfect blends of art, engineering, and story.

I would add SSE. While the last scene has become long in the tooth and the subject material does not lend itself to being as timeless as the others, the beauty and originality of a ride, enclosed in a geodesic sphere, that takes you through the stages of history with dozens of AA... the Imagineering is breathtaking. It could use some spiffing up, but I think it easily qualifies as one of the all-time greats.

I would add SSE. While the last scene has become long in the tooth and the subject material does not lend itself to being as timeless as the others, the beauty and originality of a ride, enclosed in a geodesic sphere, that takes you through the stages of history with dozens of AA... the Imagineering is breathtaking. It could use some spiffing up, but I think it easily qualifies as one of the all-time greats.

I think there are a lot of examples...I was just selecting what I thought were the best blends of ride systems and experience.

There are other worthy examples

A tad off topic but I was at Magic Kingdom today for extra magic hours and decided to ride space mountain just before park closing. For some reason most of the lights were on and I could see the whole track and inside of space mountain. Im not sure if they were having technical issues or they were just getting ready to close the ride down for the night. But since I rode space mountain thousands of times, it was a real nice treat to complete my day.

I rode Space with the lights on once. I found it much more scary than with the lights out. You really get to see how close you are to the track. It sure doesn't seem like there is much headroom, or course if you are properly buckled down there doesn't need to be. But yeah, it's not a great ride with the lights on, but it sure will surprise you how close all the track is on top and the sides of you.

This! I always feel the urge to duck when I'm on Space Mountain - I love the ride, but always have this image of me hitting my head on something when I'm riding it lol. It sounds like seeing it with the lights on wouldn't help me get over that. I just keep telling myself I am way shorter than many people that ride it and no one loses their head :upsidedow

to answer the first question, they're keeping a few of the facades from the streets of america, yeah! they're being dressed up to look more californian though

as for question 2, i took this pic from bioreconstruct and circled in where the new construction is. star wars and toy story connect to each other, and grand avenue is located directly in front of star wars

nfyFdaF.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter