New to ECV

I am new to the scooter also and trying to decide which one to order.......any tips? I realize the larger one is for larger people, but how sturdy are the standard sizes? I am looking at Buena Vista and the maxima looks more comfortable and steadier. I have been told that the standard is the most popular. I'm a bit nervous about this, but can't do the parks anymore without it.

Unless you need the larger (sometimes also called "heavy duty") scooter. I believe you will be just fine with a standard scooter. Heavy Duty just means that it is built to carry a human of a certain size; there won't be any perceptible benefit to a person who fits a "standard" size scooter better. :)

BV - and most all of the rental companies in Orlando - really do their homework when deciding what models to put in their rental fleet. They don't make money if their scooters are always breaking down, so that's why you see a lot of the companies renting either identical or *very similar* scooters! :)

Just practice good battery management - like always turning off the scooter every time you aren't moving for more than 30 seconds or so, whenever you stop to look at a map, or get your bearings, or watch a parade, or are in a slow moving line... turn it off! Be sure to charge the scooter completely overnight, every night in your Resort room, and don't worry! I hope you have a great trip! :)

I am looking for some experiences with an ECV in the parks. This is my first time (I finally gave in an rented one :moped:). I like to look in the shops so was wondering is there a place to park while you look around? I am able to walk around a little so have no problem getting off the scooter o go inside and I don't want to leave the scooter in anyone's way. Thanks :)

I just rented from Buena Vista after I did a ton of research and decided they seemed the best I may have paid a little more but wanted to go with a company that has been around a long time.

I am looking for some experiences with an ECV in the parks. This is my first time (I finally gave in an rented one :moped:). I like to look in the shops so was wondering is there a place to park while you look around? I am able to walk around a little so have no problem getting off the scooter o go inside and I don't want to leave the scooter in anyone's way. Thanks :)

I'm the same way. I've noticed that there are always a couple scooters that just park out of the way outside the shop, so I do the same thing. It doesn't seem like a good idea for me to try to drive around inside with all that breakable stuff. I'm a pretty good driver, but don't want to chance it!

It seems like there is always somewhere to park. I have never taken mine into a store at Disney.

Aside from the shops that line Main Street in the MK, you can typically find someplace to park nearby in every Park (and Disney Springs too). The main thing I would encourage you to remember is to always take the key - and "mark" your rental unit with a colorful, inexpensive bandana, or a length of fun, colorful grosgrain ribbon from Hobby Lobby or Walmart. Bandanas are $1 each at both stores - just tie it (or the ribbon) anywhere on the scooter. At Main Street MK, you can ask a CM where to park. Unless it's parade time, you can often find plenty of space down by the Fire Station/Barber Shop, at the other end by Casey's Corner or the Plaza. Between Tony's Town Square and the Pin shop there is space as well.

I don't have a choice; I can no longer stand and walk long enough to shop without my personal mobility device. I have no problems navigating any store or shop at WDW, but I do take my time and go very slowly. I also look ahead as I maneuver through, and plan the best path that avoids narrower spaces, or areas that are crowded. Sometimes I have to kind of circle around to get to what I want to see, but it always works out.

Let us know if there are any other questions you have! :)

Also I chose to rent from BV scooters because of the way the mechanism works to drive it - because I have some arthritis in my hands as well and the "tiller" is easier for me on the BV scooters. If that's an issue for you - I know we've discussed it in other threads. That's probably one of the major reasons I stick with them.

The tiller design is also a big reason we stick with Buena Vista.

My first ECV rental as from Walker. The tiller design meant my hands were in lots of pain very quickly.

My next ECV rental (same trip, we did pre and post cruise) was Buena Vista and we haven't looked back f or our subsequent rentals. The tiller design allows flexible hand use and I found it both comfortable and most importantly NOT pain inducing.

SW

We were disappointed with Walker, as their service department was hard to get in touch with and closed long before the parks did - when our ECV broke down near park close we were SOL. They gave us a coupon for our next rental, but we ended up not using it.

We liked Apple and were very happy with the service. However, it was a little worrying that we *needed* three service calls in a week to begin with.

I guess there are good and bsd things about all the vendors.

We did tip Bell Services, but I can't remember how much since it was combined with the tip for taking our grocery order to the room.

Do you tip bell services for holding the scooter before and after your stay? If so, how much?
I never had to use a scooter before. I rented from BV and highly recommend them. I had battery trouble at Epcot on a Sunday and they came right out and brought me a different scooter.
I did tip bell services $5 when I picked it up because he was most helpful when I asked questions about usage when he didn't have to help me. They are just there to hand out the keys.

I've seen videos of people getting on buses with ECVs and it looks very doable to me. However, I can't find any for leaving the bus. Any problems?
None. Getting off was easier than getting on IMO. Some bus drivers even rolled it on and off for me even though I was capable of doing it myself.

I am new to the scooter also and trying to decide which one to order.......any tips? I realize the larger one is for larger people, but how sturdy are the standard sizes? I am looking at Buena Vista and the maxima looks more comfortable and steadier. I have been told that the standard is the most popular. I'm a bit nervous about this, but can't do the parks anymore without it.
Get they Victory three wheeler it's much easier to maneuver than the 4 wheeler. I am not a large person. I was nervous about it too since it was my first time. Also, call them as opposed to ordering it online. It was about $30 less for me by calling. I booked it for 8 days.

I can no longer stand unassisted so I have to take my scooter in the shops. Like Mamabunny I go very, very slow. Sometimes an aisle is blocked, and I either just wait for the people to move on, or I backup and go around.

I had such a nice experience at World of Disney. I wanted to buy tshirts for my friends who were keeping my dog. I couldn't reach the upper shirts and a very nice CM came over to help me. I needed one to be a 3X and one to be a 1X and she knew exactly which ones would work for me. I'm learning to accept help from others. If I could walk I'd have traipsed all over the store for an hour to find what I needed.

But when I could walk enough to leave my ECV outside of the shops I don't remember it ever being a problem finding a place to park it.

I like apple better than buena vista. Just remember to drive slower than you do in stores. I almost hit a toddler whose parents were not watching as he ran out in front of me. Besides the occasional close call, you will love being comfortable and you will be able to stay out longer.

I was worried about being a first time scooter user............I rented with Buena Vista Scooters. My scooter was there when I arrived and I dropped it off at bell services the night before we left. No problems whatsoever :). All the CM's were very helpful also. If I felt uncomfortable driving and parking on the bus the driver would do it for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter