New to DAS/new DAS system

BroadwayHermione5

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

With everything going on on here and with the strikes (I am in the industry) I haven't really been posting but I do have a question regarding DAS and I feel it is important.

I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that affects my joints mainly, one of my parents has always used a scooter but only DAS in DLR and my other parent is going through structural arthritis and musculoskeletal issues. Our trip is in about a month and a half.

I have a doctors note as I need one for work and the one parent is also working on getting one. What do we need to know about applying for DAS. I know some of the questions will be very specific including why you need accomodations to waiting in a line, but I want to know what the process is like.

Also another question we have been wondering is how does DAS work with the nighttime shows?

Thank you in advance, and stay safe.

BH5

DAS is for people who cannot wait in a longer line. It is unlikely anyone will be granted DAS for mobility issues that are remediated via scooter/wheelchair/etc. If your disability precludes you from waiting in a line, you explain what issues you have waiting in the line and they grant DAS. It is very straightforward. You don't need, nor will they accept, any documentation. You have a video chat with a cast member 60 days prior to your trip.

You have a video chat with a cast member 60 days prior to your trip.
Correction -- the video chat for DAS must be within 30 days of your trip. Technically, the whole trip should fall within that 30 day window in order to make DAS Advanced Selections. However some have been successful with only part of the trip days within the 30. YMMV

Above is correct about no documentation needed at Disney, nor will they look at it. You (or the DAS holder if capable) will have to explain needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment, not the diagnosis. If needs are met by using a wheelchair/ECV or other mobility device, DAS is not needed. If you are used to DL park, the Florida parks are newer and as such were built more accessible. Very few queues do not accommodate a wheelchair, and those that don't do not require a DAS but will give a "wheelchair return time" at the entrance. If there are other needs besides mobility, be sure to focus your conversation with the CM about those non-mobility needs.

The person applying needs to be ready to explain on the video chat why they cannot wait in a traditional line without discussing their diagnosis. That's it, nothing else to worry about, no notes.

They are very serious that mobility issues solved by use of a WC or ECV do not qualify so if your issues are solved by that do not waste time applying. Fwiw, desire not to use a WC or ECV will not be taken into account.

If you're not sure about if the program will help you/your family, hop on that video chat. The CMs will provide guidance and there is no penalty for applying beyond your own time lost doing so.

In regards to the ECV, 1-2 members of the party might need to use it but I don't necessarily have to. I have been consulting with my doctor and even with all I am doing, there is a chance that waiting in a normal line is something I cannot do anymore (which sucks given my age-I hate that I even have to ask these questions believe me I do-been a chaotic few months of discovery and learning).

As someone else said it does not hurt to ask and GR is something I always know is an option.

While we have been to DLR, we actually know WDW better. The problem is ECV and DAS has not really been an issue since post pandemic. While an ECV/wheel chair was in use prior to pandemic, what has happened in the past year is what is causing our concern.

Thank you all for your help. Working on figuring out a time to schedule this call right now.

The DAS system is for those who have a diagnosed, documented disability that effectively and compelling prevents them from physically waiting in the traditional standby line. DAS system eligibility is based on a compelling need for the system and not just the diagnosis alone. You need to be very specific about the specific needs and the compelling nature (such as negative experience, etc) of the needs for the DAS system when explaining it in the virtual chat or in person with a cast member. Just telling them what your diagnosis is is not sufficient. Mobility conditions alone and conditions aline that can be mitigated and remedied by a wheelchair or mobility scooter are not eligible for the DAS system.

Last edited:
The DAS system is for those who have a diagnosed, documented disability that effectively and compelling prevents them from physically waiting in the traditional standby line. DAS system eligibility is based on a compelling need for the system and not just the diagnosis alone. You need to be very specific about the specific needs and the compelling nature (such as negative experience, etc) of the needs for the DAS system when explaining it in the virtual chat or in person with a cast member. Just telling them what your diagnosis is is not sufficient. Mobility conditions alone and conditions aline that can be mitigated and remedied by a wheelchair or mobility scooter are not eligible for the DAS system.
No. Does not have to be diagnosed or documented.

waiting on line. If you have to leave the line to use the restroom. Need to take medication. Shot. You can qualify. People now get into fights trying to get back to there spot in line . Sad to say

@Jake I'm not too sure what you are trying to say... but a person must explain their needs that occur while in a queue and why that doesn't allow them to wait in a standard queue environment. And be aware that Disneyland has been denying DAS for bathroom needs. I wouldn't be surprised if they deny for some of the other items you list as well, depending on the circumstances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter