New lens for a newbie

FreddyMercury

Former Cast Member
Our honeymoon to Tokyo Disneyland is coming up, and I want to get a new lens for the trip. The problem is that I don't know much about lenses. So here are a few pieces of info... We have a Canon Rebel t3i and a "nifty fifty" prime lens. I love how crisp the lens is, and I absolutely love the depth of field, but I want something with a wider field a view. I have trouble getting my subjects in the frame. I'm looking to spend less than $500. Any suggestions?

I don't really have a preference. I've been using the 50mm prime for a few years now, so I'm familiar with a prime lens. Before that, I was just using the kit lens.

A few options for going wider:

1) Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. This is an outstanding lens. You won't go wrong with it. This is ultra wide angle though so maybe not what you're after? Still, a very fun lens, with great IQ.
2) Canon 28mm f/1.8 is a good option for a wider prime
3) Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is also a great lens. New copies of the ART version are over your budget, but you might be able to find an older model second hand. They are known for some front and back focus issues, but mine was outstanding, my "go to" dark ride lens for some time.
4) For a zoom, you could consider a mid-range 2.8 zoom. The Canon 17-55 f/2.8 is spectacular, but very spendy so probably out of your budget unless you find a used copy. Sigma and Tamron also make versions that would be in your budget.

How about the 10-18mm Canon ultra wide angle. Great lens, great price for crop sensors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts