"new" Heathrow baggage limit

Amberle3

<font color=CC0066>Likes to absorb the park<br><fo
Since I'm in Canada I've never posted to this board before, but I saw this article and thought it might apply to folks here.

New rule: Heathrow checked bags go on a diet (5/28/2004)

By Andrew Compart

LONDON -- Don't pack that 33rd bag of sugar. Beginning June 1, passengers traveling through London's Heathrow Airport will only be able to check-in bags that weigh 70 pounds or less.
That's equivalent to about 32 bags of sugar, the airport's owner said, and compares to an average checked-bag weight of 44 pounds.

The limit applies only to single items of luggage, and is intended to lessen injuries among baggage-handling staff; an identical limit adopted by British Airways a year ago has reduced its baggage-handling injuries by 17%.

Heathrow officials will be placing scales inside each terminal so passengers can verify the weight of their luggage before they get to check-in. Bags will be available for passengers who need to re-pack at excess baggage outlets in each terminal.

Travelers who need to carry items that exceed the limit, such as some sporting equipment, should make special arrangements with their airline in advance.

For some time the max weight of checked baggage has been 32Kgs per piece (for those on a piece baggage allowance rather than weight).

Te reason for this is that Health & Safety Manual Handling regs put the maximum lift for a male at 25 Kgs (16 Kgs for women - sorry ladies). The maximum lift for 2 men is 32 Kgs.

This is not a security issue, it is a H&S matter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter