New 350 room hotel near Swan and Dolphin "The Swan Reserve”

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have status, its waived, just FYI for everyone following along at home:) I've never driven. Of course, I won't drive Nashville to ATL; they made planes for a reason:)

ETA: FWIW, people love WDW hotels, my preferences are pretty singular, but I LOVE the Swolphin, like others love the Poly or whatever, it hits everything I want and love out of a WDW trip.

I don't know when you most recently made a Swolphin reservation, but the resort fee is no longer waived for SPG Plats. It's reduced now for us instead of waived.

I'm kind of hoping for a St. Regis for the new property to compete somewhat with Waldorf and Four Seasons.

It's $75 if your investment has doubled-do we really need to do this again? You stay on the cost of dues at most. BWV starts at 10 points a night-$60 in dues.

But heck-lets say $140 (no tax) at BWV? S&D is double that and no asset to sell.

I've seen about 3 different calculation "methods" for figuring out the nightly costs with justification...I tend to go with a hybrid that ends up in the middle range...

But the point is if you bought long ago it's an insulator that no longer exists?

Yep...I'm down.

I don't know when you most recently made a Swolphin reservation, but the resort fee is no longer waived for SPG Plats. It's reduced now for us instead of waived.

I'm kind of hoping for a St. Regis for the new property to compete somewhat with Waldorf and Four Seasons.

It was waived altogether for my visit Sept. 17-23, can't speak to anything else. They told me at check in and it wasn't on my final invoice or cc statement...

I would flipping love a St. Regis at that location!

I don't think they (disney) would double cross the seasons that blatantly...the waldof, sure...fire away.

It was waived altogether for my visit Sept. 17-23, can't speak to anything else. They told me at check in and it wasn't on my final invoice or cc statement...

I would flipping love a St. Regis at that location!

How far in advance did you book the reservation? Terms are established by when you book, not when you stay. The change was recent and applied to my recent stays (reservations made since sometime in August).

Could have just stayed the last 10 years at Mods or Deluxe-even S&D and flushed $25K.

I mean maybe that makes sense if you only vacation at WDW, but I don't think my travel dollars are "flushed." I rarely pay for hotels though and never for flights, so my experience is singular, but if I was paying, I'm much happier I put my money in the market in 2008 than in DVC. I'm positive my returns are better.

How far in advance did you book the reservation? Terms are established by when you book, not when you stay. The change was recent and applied to my recent stays (reservations made since sometime in August).

Less than a week in advance. Booked on the Wednesday before I checked in on the Sunday...That's weird that we're getting 2 different results. I was also plat with Marriott.

You Gotta stop with that asset talk. How much is it worth in 30 years. Literally nothing. There’s no salvage value. Not worth 1 cent. It’s not an asset.

I have sold 2 contracts, came out great. Obviously you have to decide if and when to cash in. But you have no choice paying cash stays.

Last edited:
LOL could make way more than his investment back today, even at SSR. He can confirm this.

But guess what, he will not sell it. Ask why?

You Gotta stop with that asset talk. How much is it worth in 30 years. Literally nothing. There’s no salvage value. Not worth 1 cent. It’s not an asset.

Not only that-you missed the point. LOL said $140 for the term. Still half of S&D. And guess what S&D will be in 10 more years with Star Wars there.

Not only that-you missed the point. LOL said $140 for the term. Still half of S&D. And guess what S&D will be in 10 more years with Star Wars there.

I’m not saying that if you locked in 50 years of stays 15 years ago (or bought resale from those cheaper original contracts) that if used yearly you aren’t paying less than rack rate after year 10 or so. I’m saying that a timeshare is not an asset. The simple fact is that it will literally be worthless at the end. Even as you approach the final years, there will be no value. So it’s not an asset.

I mean maybe that makes sense if you only vacation at WDW, but I don't think my travel dollars are "flushed." I rarely pay for hotels though and never for flights, so my experience is singular, but if I was paying, I'm much happier I put my money in the market in 2008 than in DVC. I'm positive my returns are better.

As long as you get out before the music stops...the next crash is gonna be catastrophic like the last....too many bubbles and not nearly enough actual wealth...

I’m not saying that if you locked in 50 years of stays 15 years ago (or bought resale from those cheaper original contracts) that if used yearly you aren’t paying less than rack rate after year 10 or so. I’m saying that a timeshare is not an asset. The simple fact is that it will literally be worthless at the end. Even as you approach the final years, there will be no value. So it’s not an asset.

I agree...a timeshare is NOT an asset because those that claim value in it, aren't gonna ever sell - cause they LOVE IT!!!!...and those that do sell (probably cause they got suckered into it) typically lose their shirt cause the product sucks and ends up worthless.

What dvc does do...in all seriousness...is save a ton of money against Disney's desires while not ever having to compromise on how you travel there...and that is pretty awesome in my dinghie...as long as jade rows :boat:

Last edited:
LOL could make way more than his investment back today, even at SSR. He can confirm this.

But guess what, he will not sell it. Ask why?

Sorta...

I could sell it for what I bought it now...
...but I got 12 years of use, including my kids pounding around when they were in diapers and/or pigtails...For a walk away cost of just the dues...so maybe $600 a year average for 2-3 weeks?

There's no such thing as "magic"...but there is a value in sentiment that masquerades as it...that is as close as I can think of getting to the meaning of that sentiment. Is kinda priceless.

I disagree a little here...if the disney property holds for 30 years...there will be a salvage value - if small...

But you get your usage out of it.

Aren't most assets like that? Ask your parents/grandparents...
Sure, their house was sold for 10+ times what they paid for it after 40 years...but what they paid the mortgage for and reaped was the time and experiences in the house...the check at the end (probably to their kids) wasn't the real "value"

I disagree a little here...if the disney property holds for 30 years...there will be a salvage value - if small...

But you get your usage out of it.

Aren't most assets like that? Ask your parents/grandparents...
Sure, their house was sold for 10+ times what they paid for it after 40 years...but what they paid the mortgage for and reaped was the time and experiences in the house...the check at the end (probably to their kids) wasn't the real "value"

I’m saying the contract expires, right? There’s a time limit. Even a car that’s 30 years old can be sold for something. A house can be sold for something. The DVC contract at the time it expires is over. There is literally no value that can be assigned to it other than 0. You can’t use it anymore. You can’t sell it. Your ownership terminates. Unless I’m missing something.

Again, I’m not saying that the purchase of the contract was worthless. I’m saying it’s not some kind of investment instrument that happens to get you $100 rooms at the contemporary. It’s a timeshare. Not an asset. Took a little detour, but it’s just a simple fact.

I’m saying the contract expires, right? There’s a time limit. Even a car that’s 30 years old can be sold for something. A house can be sold for something. The DVC contract at the time it expires is over. There is literally no value that can be assigned to it other than 0. You can’t use it anymore. You can’t sell it. Your ownership terminates. Unless I’m missing something.

Again, I’m not saying that the purchase of the contract was worthless. I’m saying it’s not some kind of investment instrument that happens to get you $100 rooms at the contemporary. It’s a timeshare. Not an asset. Took a little detour, but it’s just a simple fact.

That's the standard counter argument to dvc: "but it ends..."

While technically true...it's too linear to look at it's complete value...

If your bought early, the amount of break you've gotten over the rack rate even for the last 10 years quickly racks up...it really is a huge benefit to the buyer.

Now? Or in 10 years? Prolly not.

The other thing about the 40-50 years is this: it's enough. Nine generations aren't gonna want to go to disney world...after you have it for awhile...you realize that...

That's the standard counter argument to dvc: "but it ends..."

While technically true...it's too linear to look at it's complete value...

If your bought early, the amount of break you've gotten over the rack rate even for the last 10 years quickly racks up...it really is a huge benefit to the buyer.

Now? Or in 10 years? Prolly not.

The other thing about the 40-50 years is this: it's enough. Nine generations aren't gonna want to go to disney world...after you have it for awhile...you realize that...

DVC can save people money vs rack rate. I’m just dispelling the notion that it also carries this certain resale value. While it might for this period in time, it 100% will have no value at one point. And this resale value most certainly diminishes as it approaches the end.

I just have to dispel this line of thought that somehow it can always be flipped when I see it. It’s misleading and a misrepresentation of its value.

DVC can save people money vs rack rate. I’m just dispelling the notion that it also carries this certain resale value. While it might for this period in time, it 100% will have no value at one point. And this resale value most certainly diminishes as it approaches the end.

I just have to dispel this line of thought that somehow it can always be flipped when I see it. It’s misleading and a misrepresentation of its value.

I agree with you there...it's overstated...

I've noticed that those that proclaim "value" tend to be those that keep
Buying points like they would shoes or beer...
...they can't control themselves and drop $100,000 on points...which is excessive and ultimately foolish. It's a way of "coping" I think...

What it can be - if measured - is a shrewd way to travel for less and get more value out of your time...that's how I have used it.

But it's not like buying Microsoft or apple for $1.65 a share and then cashing it out 20 years later...or selling your beach house after they forbid further development...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!