NEW 15th DVC hotel~ Riviera Resort/ Gondola~ Will there be air conditioning debate

I still think that they will have some type of solar cooling system on each car. While they won't provide a cold ride, it will probably be okay.

:earsboy: Bill

It would be nice if they build the Riveria resort to be as up scale as VGF. DVC will never be as deluxe as a Four Seasons, but if it was like VGF, Aulani or VGC then it could really attract more buyers. Add in a second bathroom in the one bedroom with a fifth bed and it will really attract buyers.

As to the pool, I am pretty sure some of the plans showed a pool, but not much in the details. I expect it will be similar in size to the one just opening at Wilderness Lodge. But that doesn't have a slide. If they could add a slide to the BLT pool they could add to one the size of the Boulder Cove Pool.
There is rumor out there that VGF would be getting a total rehab to bring it up to par with Four Seasons. If the Riviera is truly an upscale resort I think those rumors will come to fruition.

There is rumor out there that VGF would be getting a total rehab to bring it up to par with Four Seasons. If the Riviera is truly an upscale resort I think those rumors will come to fruition.

Not VGF but Grand Floridian is mentioned on the rumors I heard. But I think the whole thing is just wishful rumors. I doubt VGF would change because it is DVC and it locked into the point chart so prices cannot increase.

Lift Blog (a website dedicated to gondolas) said the Disney World model is the same Dopelmayr model used in the Singapore Cable Car. Eight passengers each, 7 windows/vents, no AC. Singapore also has a hot and humid climate being so close to the equator. Another example is the Ngong Ping gondola in Hong Kong, also fairly hot in the summer and no AC. It's not that uncommon.

Picture below:

hupnaq.jpg

"fairly hot in the summer" is underselling HK weather. I wore shorts and was hot in HK in the Winter. Summer is absolutely brutal. WDW in the winter is comfortable in pants.

Lift Blog (a website dedicated to gondolas) said the Disney World model is the same Dopelmayr model used in the Singapore Cable Car. Eight passengers each, 7 windows/vents, no AC. Singapore also has a hot and humid climate being so close to the equator. Another example is the Ngong Ping gondola in Hong Kong, also fairly hot in the summer and no AC. It's not that uncommon.

Picture below:

hupnaq.jpg

I read somewhere that the are using 10 passenger cars.

I read somewhere that the are using 10 passenger cars.

Per Lift Blog: "I’m told Disney is working with Doppelmayr to achieve the highest possible throughput likely using 8-passenger cabins, not Omega 10s as rumored. While the current monocable record is 4,500 persons per hour per direction at Sölden, capacity for the WDW gondolas could reach 5,000 or more pphpd. Cabins will have wi-fi and ample passive ventilation."

The "crush capacity" of the monorail is 360 passengers per train (typical capacity more like 220). If the gondolas can move 5,000 people per hour per direction, that's got to be higher capacity than the monorail system. The equivalent would be fully loaded monorails departing every ~4 minutes.

Picture below:

hupnaq.jpg
Uncommon or not, doesn't sound pleasant in the heat of summer. Hard pass.

As the cars will be elevated above all buildings and trees, the wind or breeze will be better than at ground level

I wonder what the inside of the Riveria will look like. Do you think it will have a large lobby? Also will there be a fountain like at VGF and do you think the Aristocats will feature in the design. The Hunchback of Notre Dame seems a little dark and dreary to me. But other than Beauty and the Beast I cannot think of any other Disney animated movie that are based in France.

I wonder what the inside of the Riveria will look like. Do you think it will have a large lobby? Also will there be a fountain like at VGF and do you think the Aristocats will feature in the design. The Hunchback of Notre Dame seems a little dark and dreary to me. But other than Beauty and the Beast I cannot think of any other Disney animated movie that are based in France.
Ratatouille? Beauty and the Beast? I hope it is a great resort. I could use some points near Epcot.

Edited because Lady and the Tramp was not set in Paris.

Last edited:
I do suspect if they are not a/c they will not be used much in the really hot months.

I don't get the big deal about AC in the cars, these are basically grown up Von Roll Sky Ride 101 cars (the sky bucket was Von Roll 101, but almost every other theme/amusement park had one back in the 70's), Doppelmayr IS Von Roll. I have ridden dozens of them... there is enough breeze in the air even in the hottest climate to make for a comfortable ride. Also, there is a Von Roll at Stone Mountain in Atlanta Georgia, in fact, it's probably a more comparable experience. The Von Roll at Stone Mountain is a large, glassed enclosed car, that holds probably 30-40 total people. No AC, IN ATLANTA. I rode it in August... no problems. Think about it, are the EPCOT/Hollywood studios boats air conditioned? No. If there is moving air, and shade, you are usually comfortable.

By the way, as someone who goes out of their way to ride Von Rolls whenever I can... I am THRILLED about this. I have yet to stay at CBR (its the last moderate I haven't stayed at...) and I think this might be the driving perk to finally get me there.

Jennifer

I thought they were AC. Was I dreaming?

The windows can't be opened, and when we enter it seems comfortably cool inside and stays cool through the voyage, so I think they do have AC. OTOH I have to admit I haven't ridden them in the height of summer, but I've been there in May and October when it was pretty warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!