Need new furnance. What questions should I be asking??

Disney Addicted

DIS Veteran
EnerCare (previously Direct Energy) was just here for a general maintenance/cleaning on our furnance and has shut off the gas. The heat exchange is cracked. Again. Yep, I said again. When we moved in 13 years ago it was found to be cracked. This time I'm told they don't make heat exchanges for this furnance anymore. It's a 1993 model. So 24 years old.

I have never dealt with purchasing a furnance. I don't know what to ask. So far the information I have is they can install a Regular Efficiency System or a High Efficiency Energy Star System.

Regular Efficiency System
costs about $1.75 per day in electricity to run
$4,600 plus tax to purchase outright
5 years all parts, labour, maintenance, cleaning
OR $75 plus tax a month on our Enbridge bill until paid off (open term)

High Efficiency Energy Star System
costs about $0.25 per day in electricity to run
$5,400 plus tax to purchase outright
11 years all parts, labour, maintenance, cleaning
OR $80 plus tax a month on our Enbridge bill until paid off (open term)
$250 cash back from government

Wow... did not know how expensive furnances are. Is there anything I should know or ask before getting one installed?? I'm in Ontario.

If it was me, I would go for the high efficiency. It is a higher outright cost but lower operating costs and double the warranty. Not to mention some $$$ back from the government. Do you also have central air? is it about the same age? If so, you might want to look at replacing both. You could get a deal for buying both and it will give you peace of mind that your C/A won't die on you next summer (that happened to us - replaced furnace in August 2009 and in June 2010 central air died)

If it was me, I would go for the high efficiency. It is a higher outright cost but lower operating costs and double the warranty. Not to mention some $$$ back from the government. Do you also have central air? is it about the same age? If so, you might want to look at replacing both. You could get a deal for buying both and it will give you peace of mind that your C/A won't die on you next summer (that happened to us - replaced furnace in August 2009 and in June 2010 central air died)

He mentioned a rebate back from the goverment as well. I started to google that but was side-tracked by reading various "things to know before buying a furnance" and Enbridge's Home energy conservation program. Enbridge's incentive program won't work for us. You need to have two improvement/upgrades done to your house to qualify. I need to find info on the government rebate next. Actually, I found it. Through Save on Energy. Ironically the program ends December 31, 2017. Guess I'm glad the furnance is getting replaced now instead of finding out in January. (wry grin)

Yes, my husband said we should get the high efficiency since we need a new furnance. We do have A/C but I do not know how old it is. It works well and we don't use it very often. I LIVE for the summer heat! LOL The A/C does not get turned on often in our house. We have ceiling fans in the bedrooms and kitchen.

Thankfully it turns out we can have a working furnance by Thursday at the latest. Maybe even tomorrow. The last time this happened we waited a week for a new heat exchange to arrive.

High efficiency would be my vote. You know you can rent furnaces, just like water heaters, right? We're in the GTA and I believe Reliance (if you're here) rents them.

High efficiency would be my vote. You know you can rent furnaces, just like water heaters, right? We're in the GTA and I believe Reliance (if you're here) rents them.

No, I didn't until a few minutes ago.

That monthly fee on our Enbridge bill is O-U-T! Turns out that's a monthly rental for as long as you live in the house, just like the water heaters. He said most likely there will still be a balance owing if we were to sell the house in 7-10 years.

7 years of $80 plus tax per month is $7,593. 10 years = $10,848. We'll be here for at least 5 more years if not 10.

We have $5,500 saved up for landscaping and re-fencing the backyard this summer. (The old fencing was taken down a couple of years ago). It looks like we'll be using that money to just purchase the furnance. Darn it. I was really looking forward to having the backyard fenced. (sigh)

I agree with high efficiency furnace. The other thing you want to think about is AC or DC fan motor. If you plan on running your fan all the time to circulate air then DC is the way to go. If you only want the fan on when heat or air conditioning is being supplied then AC is your choice. An AC motor is less expensive than a DC to purchase but a DC motor is less expensive to run.

Funny, I had this very conversation with DH last night. Had the furnace cleaned and it is good to go but it is 14 years old and it's time to prepare for its replacement. I was nervous yesterday when the technician was here fearing that he would shut off the heat if he found something. Fortunately it is mild outside right now.

New furnance is being installed as I type. My computer room is over the furnance/laundry room so I keep jumping at every little sound. Just a little bit nervous I am. (wry grin)

Thanks Ottawamom. I'm pretty sure he told me this is a DC fan motor. I'll have to double-check as I didn't realize there is a difference.

It's funny. Enercare tells me furnances only last typically 15 years. But the one they are replacing is 24 years! Yeah, we had to replace a cracked heat exchange 13 years ago but it only cost us $500. If that was an option again now, we'd be doing that instead of purchasing a new furnance.

(edited to correct spelling mistake)

Last edited:

Glad you are getting your furnace taken care of. Considering this is the DISBoards, surprised that no one offered up the most important question you should have asked yourself, "Do I really need a furnace, or can I skip it because I need another trip to WDW instead?" <jk>

Last edited:
New furnance is being installed as I type. My computer room is over the furnance/laundry room so I keep jumping at every little sound. Just a little bit nervous I am. (wry grin)

Thanks Ottawamom. I'm pretty sure he told me this is a DC fan motor. I'll have to double-check as I didn't realize there is a difference.

It's funny. Enercare tells me furnances only last typically 15 years. But the one they are replacing is 24 years! Yeah, we had to replace a cracked heat exchange 13 years ago but it only cost us $500. If that was an opinion again now, we'd be doing that instead of purchasing a new furnance.
Ours has got to be pushing 40. the house was built in 1977, and when we last had it fixed the repair guy said it must be original with the house. we've been in the house 15 years and only had a few small repairs required. That reminds me I should change the filters on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!