need help with unique add-on situation

Joe Wolfers

wolfersfam
So i tried posting this in a group on facebook but the mods deleted it. guess it was against the rules. I've searched and searched for previous threads but can't seem to find an answer because my situation is a bit abnormal.

So we have a contract in front of ROFR currently. 160pts AKV February use year. if we get that, it will be our first time owning(my parents have been members for nearly two decades and now I'm jumping in too). I know the standard banking/borrowing rules but thats easy when owning only one direct contract and only taking 1 trip annually/biannually.

The unique part about our situation is that i'm lucky enough to have employer subsidized trips each year for meeting sales quotas. i can earn up to 3 annually(typically i get at least 2). They are weekend trips(Thursday night through Sunday) in February, June/July, and September. We also take our big family trip(7-9 days) usually every other year around Thanksgiving. The first trip the company would pay for annual passes, so the next two each year would be basically no cost because the company would cover flight, food, and souvenirs.

So here's my question. If we were to add on(i want to get to 250-300pts total) would you recommend a different resort w/ same use year, same resort w/ same use year, different resort w/ different use year or different resort w/ same use year?

I like the idea of having two separate 11 month booking windows but it seems like it would be really annoying to have 2+ member numbers to keep up with.

As long as your contracts are deeded exactly the same way with the same Use Year you will still only have 1 member number. We have 4 contracts at 3 resorts all with a Feb UY and 1 number.
2 of our contracts are direct and 2 are resale.

In your situation I would definitely get a second resort for the 11 month booking window.

Select the best UY for your vacation patterns. Unless to have a great reason for two UY's, stick with one.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
If you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

As long as your contracts are deeded exactly the same way with the same Use Year you will still only have 1 member number. We have 4 contracts at 3 resorts all with a Feb UY and 1 number.

In your situation I would definitely get a second resort for the 11 month booking window.
thanks dizbub...thats kind of how i was leaning

Sorry to hijack, but have a question. I have one contract in my name, and another in the contract writing stage, adding my son thus changing the deed. If I do this, will I now have 2 member numbers? Will my points all be in one place? Both contracts are the same resort and same UY. One is an extended contract one isn't. Thanks!

Sorry to hijack, but have a question. I have one contract in my name, and another in the contract writing stage, adding my son thus changing the deed. If I do this, will I now have 2 member numbers? Will my points all be in one place? Both contracts are the same resort and same UY. One is an extended contract one isn't. Thanks!

Since the names are different, you will now have two separate memberships, member numbers, mailings, dues bills. There have been posts where you might be able to access both with one login but don't quote me.

:earsboy: Bill

yes as bill said. anytime you have a different name on the deed or a different use year you will then have a new corresponding member number

would you recommend a different resort w/ same use year, same resort w/ same use year, different resort w/ different use year or different resort w/ same use year?
With already having a Feb UY - with points that could cover the Feb June/July trip i would maybe look at a June, Aug or Sept UY --- getting February would be the best option, but if you are looking for a resale you might increase your options by looking at more UY's.

Also with have 160 at AK I might look for another 150 at a different resort -- so say for Sept you might want an epcot resort for food and wine.

There are lots of scenarios, but it sounds that you can manage with a different UY and resort and you could still make a transfer of points between contracts if you needed to pool more points at the 7 month mark. There are also split stays -- so you have 2 different resorts and you book the first 3-4 days at one resort and then the rest of your trip with the other resort -- both being booked at the 11 month mark.

Really too many variables, just know that there are people here who manage multiple contracts at multiple resorts and UY. You would just have to be organized and plot out what points are getting used when to avoid having point expire. So if it all sounds too complicated just make sure you get your second contract with the same UY, deeded the same.

With already having a Feb UY - with points that could cover the Feb June/July trip i would maybe look at a June, Aug or Sept UY --- getting February would be the best option, but if you are looking for a resale you might increase your options by looking at more UY's.

Also with have 160 at AK I might look for another 150 at a different resort -- so say for Sept you might want an epcot resort for food and wine.

There are lots of scenarios, but it sounds that you can manage with a different UY and resort and you could still make a transfer of points between contracts if you needed to pool more points at the 7 month mark. There are also split stays -- so you have 2 different resorts and you book the first 3-4 days at one resort and then the rest of your trip with the other resort -- both being booked at the 11 month mark.

Really too many variables, just know that there are people here who manage multiple contracts at multiple resorts and UY. You would just have to be organized and plot out what points are getting used when to avoid having point expire. So if it all sounds too complicated just make sure you get your second contract with the same UY, deeded the same.
thanks. i had built out a calendar similar to that where i purchased an october use year. whole thought process was thatbif formsome reason we had to cancel our big trip in november and everything went to the holding account, I would at least have 2-3 work trips to use them up instead of losing them

So here's my question. If we were to add on(i want to get to 250-300pts total) would you recommend a different resort w/ same use year, same resort w/ same use year, different resort w/ different use year or different resort w/ same use year?

I like the idea of having two separate 11 month booking windows but it seems like it would be really annoying to have 2+ member numbers to keep up with.

Just to be clear, having 2 separate resorts gives you the 11 month booking window, but only for the pts owned at each resort. You can't mix pts from those contracts until the 7 month window (if at all).

Also, if you own 2 separate resorts but have the same UY and they are titled the same, then you should be able to keep the same membership number.

I can't tell from your question if you understand so I did want to clarify that having 2 UYs does not have anything to do with booking windows - that is completely based on the home resort priority of the pts. Different UYs would just provide "insurance" for trips taken at different times of the year.

Just to be clear, having 2 separate resorts gives you the 11 month booking window, but only for the pts owned at each resort. You can't mix pts from those contracts until the 7 month window (if at all).

Also, if you own 2 separate resorts but have the same UY and they are titled the same, then you should be able to keep the same membership number.

I can't tell from your question if you understand so I did want to clarify that having 2 UYs does not have anything to do with booking windows - that is completely based on the home resort priority of the pts. Different UYs would just provide "insurance" for trips taken at different times of the year.
yep I understand that part. I will be doing a separate resort no matter what just to give us a different 11mo priority plus we can change up our stays. just trying to make sure i’ve got my bases covered when it comes to being able to use points in a holding account(hope it never comes to that) or having time to bank everything if i wasn’t able to qualify for a trip or two in a given year

I also recommend a second resort with same UY. We have three resorts in two UY and I really really wish we had just one UY.

I also recommend a second resort with same UY. We have three resorts in two UY and I really really wish we had just one UY.

Me, too. Unless you anticipate a frequent need to cancel with less than 31 days notice or don't plan to combine points at the 7 month stay, the difficulty / hassle of combining points from different memberships far outweighs the "insurance" protection. (In my opinion).

Different use years can make booking at 7 months more difficult than if the use years were the same (and titled such that they were part of your existing membership). To use points from both contracts at 7 months, you would have to book separately from each membership (and thus have two reservations with different booking windows) and then call MS to note that they are for a continuing stay. (That could also necessitate checking out and back in again between the reservations). As an alternative (especially if you need to combine points from both memberships to book the same night), you could transfer points from one membership to the other. You would need to call MS to make the transfer and also to book. You won't see the transferred points online and for those "tough to get at 7 months reservations", calling MS to use transferred points gives the online bookers an hours' advantage (so you could lose out and have to hope a waitlist works).

Of course, you will do what is best for your family. If you decide to go with a different use year, at least you now know & accept the booking challenges. Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!