need help - phone calls through car speakers, old car

Mrs. Bradbury

It will ALWAYS be the PeopleMover!
Our state now has a hands-free law for cell phone use while driving, and I have a 2007 Nissan Versa S that is still chugging along. No bluetooth in the car. What are my budget-friendly options to be able to hear my phone calls through my car's audio speakers?

Right now I have a cell phone holder that I love, and use the Android Auto app on my phone, but my phone's speaker is hard to hear with driving noise. I have a 45 minute commute each way, 5 days per week, and my adult children call me pretty regularly during my commute.

Doing some research on Amazon, there may be some doohickey called an FM transmitter something for this purpose, but I'm 55 and minorly tech savvy at this point, and it sounds like sorcery. LOL

Please assist. :goodvibes

Yes, you can get an FM transmitter. I believe you need to have your radio tuned to the proper FM frequency (you set that on the device you buy) and it'll allow you to talk using the cars' speakers. Quality isn't great, but good enough.

I have one of these.... https://www.walmart.com/ip/DZT1968-...7760&wl11=online&wl12=926508265&wl13=&veh=sem

I don't use it anymore because my car has built in Bluetooth, but it worked fine enough. I liked it because it was very simple to use, no FM radio needed. Just pair your phone to the speaker and you're good to go. I hung it on the sun visor. Sound quality wasn't the best, but again it did the job. Mine was a Motorola brand.

The truly best way to do it is to buy a new car stereo with Bluetooth capability. It'll cost a few hundred dollars for a good one, but it'll be like having factory Bluetooth and give you the best quality.

I would just let the calls go to voice mail so you can focus your full concentration on driving. No call is that important.

Actually, as someone with a loved one who currently is going through a bad time mentally, including suicidal ideation, YES, IT IS THAT IMPORTANT.

Yes, you can get an FM transmitter. I believe you need to have your radio tuned to the proper FM frequency (you set that on the device you buy) and it'll allow you to talk using the cars' speakers. Quality isn't great, but good enough.

I have one of these.... https://www.walmart.com/ip/DZT1968-...7760&wl11=online&wl12=926508265&wl13=&veh=sem

I don't use it anymore because my car has built in Bluetooth, but it worked fine enough. I liked it because it was very simple to use, no FM radio needed. Just pair your phone to the speaker and you're good to go. I hung it on the sun visor. Sound quality wasn't the best, but again it did the job. Mine was a Motorola brand.

The truly best way to do it is to buy a new car stereo with Bluetooth capability. It'll cost a few hundred dollars for a good one, but it'll be like having factory Bluetooth and give you the best quality.

Darn, I was hoping you had used that one :) I'm following along as I have a Motorola Roadster I'm looking to replace. It still works, but they discontinued the MotoSpeak app which was convenient for calls and texts. We just use it as the FM transmitter for music now. I'm not sure what to replace it with, too many options.

But if one wants something really good I do second your suggestion of the new car stereo. (i'm just not willing to pay that much for my old car) We had that in a previous car and it worked really well. That one came with it's own speaker though so a little more install, but it gave the same experience as having it factory installed for way less. (for the time. actually for the time it may have been a little better than some of the factory ones :laughing: but they've improved much in the last decade) I was told that my Roadster mic wasn't good and I sounded like I was in a tunnel when I used it. But it worked for me because I don't take long calls in the car, usually just enough to find out if it's an emergency or not.

Thank you for your help! I just can't pull the trigger on getting a new stereo for my old car; it's got 170,000+ miles on it. On the other hand, I am one who will drive a car until it expires completely, and we've really never had a serious issue with it ever, so 5 years from now I many wish I had just gotten a new stereo. :laughing:

So, it seems my options are the fm transmitter thingy, the thingy you mentioned, or a new stereo. Hmmmmm . . . decisions . . .

I wonder if I could find a new-to-me stereo on ebay, or Amazon unboxed stuff. All I really want is bluetooth; I rarely listen to the radio or CDs.

Thanks!

Could you just find a mic enabled bluetooth speaker? I believe that some are.

Good luck, I've been in your shoes and it's not a fun place to be. And yes, that 45 minutes is an important time. Some times, it's not just a place to help your family member, but it's where you can find your own support.

Could you just find a mic enabled bluetooth speaker? I believe that some are.

Good luck, I've been in your shoes and it's not a fun place to be. And yes, that 45 minutes is an important time. Some times, it's not just a place to help your family member, but it's where you can find your own support.

Thank you. My loved one is fighting valiantly. They are the bravest person I've ever known. It's so hard to watch.

If you don't use the radio much at all, try the FM transmitter route first. You can pick up an inexpensive one at WalMart/Target/Best Buy. They're just about plug and play. If that doesn't work, then just "bite the bullet" and replace the car stereo. Frankly, I hate replacing a factory car stereo, as I don't like the aesthetic look, but if the phone is that important to you (and from what you've described, it absolutely is) then it's a good option. You can find the stereo itself for under $100 and installation won't be much either.

If you don't use the radio much at all, try the FM transmitter route first. You can pick up an inexpensive one at WalMart/Target/Best Buy. They're just about plug and play. If that doesn't work, then just "bite the bullet" and replace the car stereo. Frankly, I hate replacing a factory car stereo, as I don't like the aesthetic look, but if the phone is that important to you (and from what you've described, it absolutely is) then it's a good option. You can find the stereo itself for under $100 and installation won't be much either.

I bought this Bluetooth FM transmitter for my DD's 2005 Mazda. It still works great 2 years later!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C9NHIBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks everyone. Even if these aren't great, they have to be better than just my phone's speaker. I appreciate it!

I have bluetooth in my car, but i find it's easier to use my headset. I plug it into my phone before I drive and if I receive a call, there is a button on the wired headset that lets me answer it. Plus, I can hear people's conversations when they are on bluetooth (when they're parked in a lot, not driving) and I'm not interested in the public hearing mine!

I have this one...
https://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-Fle...2087&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=flexsmart+x2&psc=1

I use it ALL the time....I work in an ambulance so I bring it to work, plug it in and use it to stream Sorcerer Radio ALL DAY LONG (thank goodness for unlimited data and a partner who loves Disney as much as I do:teeth:). The reception is crystal clear. When I use it in my personal vehicle and make phone calls, it is just like I am talking to someone sitting next to me.

I bought my first one about 3 years ago but I left it in the ambulance at the end of my shift one day, and since I work for a large company, by the time I came back to work, someone had absconded with it:sad:. I bought a new one 2 years ago and I am not going to lose this one. You can plug your USB cable into it so that you can keep your phone charged while you are using it. It does not need it's own battery because it draws the power right from the 12V plug.

Actually, as someone with a loved one who currently is going through a bad time mentally, including suicidal ideation, YES, IT IS THAT IMPORTANT.
that sounds super distracting to me! *hugs* Sorry to hear that your family is going through this challenge. Just please remember to stay *very* alert while talking and driving - you don't want to add to the count of loved ones being grieved over.

my family lives in horrible cell reception range so we actually schedule calltimes because the rural family members have to drive out to the local biker bar's parking lot to get any kind of signal. I would never want to talk to them while they are driving... that would be an incredibly traumatic last conversation to be on, IF anything ever happened.

plus insurance companies are getting more and more picky about how they pay out claims - if you are at fault, they don't want to hear about how you were distracted :(

I would say a budget option is to get a bluetooth headset receiver. They can be purchased for as little as $30 or you can invest in a good one which has a background noise filter (similar to the one on your cell phone) for upwards of $150; I would recommend Jabra as a good starting point. Other options are to install a newer stereo receiver with bluetooth or even android auto and apple carplay, with a mic line installation for around $450 at the cheapest level.

Couldn't you just use a Bluetooth earpiece instead?

I have bluetooth in my car, but i find it's easier to use my headset. I plug it into my phone before I drive and if I receive a call, there is a button on the wired headset that lets me answer it. Plus, I can hear people's conversations when they are on bluetooth (when they're parked in a lot, not driving) and I'm not interested in the public hearing mine!

I considered an earpiece/headset. I find earpieces/headsets to be very distracting, and I feel like I would be less aware of everything going on around me wearing one while driving, but that's just me. Definitely a case of YMMV. ::yes::

I have this one...
https://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-Fle...2087&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=flexsmart+x2&psc=1

I use it ALL the time....I work in an ambulance so I bring it to work, plug it in and use it to stream Sorcerer Radio ALL DAY LONG (thank goodness for unlimited data and a partner who loves Disney as much as I do:teeth:). The reception is crystal clear. When I use it in my personal vehicle and make phone calls, it is just like I am talking to someone sitting next to me.

I bought my first one about 3 years ago but I left it in the ambulance at the end of my shift one day, and since I work for a large company, by the time I came back to work, someone had absconded with it:sad:. I bought a new one 2 years ago and I am not going to lose this one. You can plug your USB cable into it so that you can keep your phone charged while you are using it. It does not need it's own battery because it draws the power right from the 12V plug.

Thank you so much! I'm still looking at my options but I think it's going to be something like this. It's good to know that you've had good results with this particular one. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!